2nd Amaris Dragoons
|Second Amaris Dragoons|
|Unit Profile (as of 2584)|
|Parent Formation||Amaris Dragoons|
One of the Rim Worlds Army units aligned with the Rim Provisional Government during the Rim Worlds Republic civil war that began in 2575, the Second Amaris Dragoons spent the next decade on the world of Nightwish in the Republic's Timbuktu Province.
Nightwish was the last system to be contested as a part of the second wave of Operation MAILED FIST, the Star League intervention in the civil war to restore First Consul Gregory Amaris to power, and marked a turning point in the Operation. Task Force MAILED FIST had been divided into three Battle Groups, and it was Battle Group Timbuktu that was assigned responsibility for the conquest of Nightwish; the decision made was to deploy the newly-arrived Draconis Auxiliary Corps to annex the world, a decision that led to repercussions felt throughout the remainder of the campaign.
The Draconis Auxiliary Corps consisted of four line formations - the Second and Seventh Sword of Light regiments, the Fourth Proserpina Hussars and the First Arkab Legion. First Lord Ian Cameron had already directed that the Reunification War would be fought under total war conditions, not the conditions dictated by the Ares Conventions; as a result, with the notable exception of the First Arkab Legion, the campaign for control of Nightwish was fought with a level of brutality unmatched on any other Republic world up to that point. The campaign began with the DCMS units landing on the 16th of June 2584, relishing the anticipated tough campaign against the Second Dragoons; with the limitations of the Ares Conventions removed the Combine forces had no compunction about torturing captives to obtain information, or about shelling civilian settlements as a method of driving out concealed Republican forces. The resulting death toll was heavily skewed, with the Combine forces losing just forty-two personnel (including seven MechWarriors) while the Republican casualties were in excess of ten thousand. Word of the tactics the Combine used on Nightwish quickly spread, resulting in both the Republican loyalist and rebel forces placing all of the Combine forces other than the First Arkab Legion on a "kill on sight" footing, as well as tarring all of the other units within Task Force MAILED FIST with the same brush, condemning all of the SLDF as barbarians.
The actions of the Draconis Auxiliary Corps on Nightwish resulted in the resistance faced by Task Force MAILED FIST stiffening considerably on most other worlds within the Republic, slowing the progress made by the Task Force and sapping morale.
- During the Reunification War the First Dragoons receive a -1 penalty to all repair rolls as a consequence of the disruption caused to the logistical infrastructure of the Rim Worlds Army during the Rim Worlds Republic civil war.
- Historical: Reunifcation War, p. 128, "Reunification War: Rim Worlds Republic Front Deployments (2581)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 154, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (Jump-off - 2587)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Helbrent to Nightwish (July 2582 - November 2584)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "First Arkab Legion"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131, "The Rim Worlds Army Loyalties"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Rim Worlds Republic"