2nd Sword of Light
|2nd Sword of Light BattleMech Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 3075)|
|Nickname||"The Steel Dragon"|
|Parent Formation||Sword of Light|
Representing the Pillar of Steel, or the military, in Combine society, the Second Sword of Light was one of the most prestigious units in the DCMS. The elite Second took part in some of the most notable Combine military actions, but also had been involved in some of their darkest moments, including the Kentares Massacre and an attempted coup against the Coordinator that led to the unit being disbanded.
 Age of War
In 2475, the first use of BattleMechs by the Draconis Combine against another BattleMech force was a failure of spectacular proportions. After this defeat, the Second was issued the Combine's first "modern" BattleMech, the Von Rohrs, and assigned to the command of Colonel Ibis Von Rohrs.
 Third Succession War
In the second decade of the 30th century, the Second Sword, along with the 20th Dieron Regulars and 4th Proserpina Hussars, headed a massive multi-regiment assault on the Tamar Pact, under the overall command of General Tugima Travison.
As a young officer, future Coordinator Takashi Kurita rose to fame in the Second Sword with his leadership and battlefield prowess, inspiring the already elite unit to even greater heights. Takashi eventually rose to command the regiment's heavy assault battalion prior to his promotion to the Otomo in 3000.
 Third Battle of Mallory's World
The Second Sword was one of the more notable units to take part in the Third Battle of Mallory's World in 3013, eventually being driven back after the death of First Prince Ian Davion. Upon learning Prince Hanse Davion was pinned down during his attempted escape from Halstead Station, Takashi personally led the Second Sword in an attempt to capture or kill his honored foe.
 Fourth Battle of Mallory's World
The Second while under the command of Lord Yorinaga Kurita, returned to Mallory's World in 3016, with 36th Dieron Regulars. Tai-sa Kurita attempted to avenge himself on Colonel Morgan Kell for stoping him from taking body of Ian Davion three years earlier. During the assault, the 36th Dieron managed pin down the first battalion of the Hounds, while Lord Kurita lead the Second Sword to attempt to destroy Morgan Kell's Second Battlion. After discovering his location in a defensive fortification, Kell challenged him to samuari's duel. Honor bounded by such act, Tai-sa Kurita complied. The battle two dueled and then Kurita was defeated by Colonel Kell using rules of duel against him forcing him to withdraw.
 Dromini VI
In late 3021 the Second suffered severe casualties assisting in the defense of the Kurita world of Dromini VI against large scale operations by the Wolf's Dragoons mercenary unit employ of House Steiner. However, they are one of the few units to suck a Dragoons regiment into an ambush that inflicted serious losses on the Dragoons. During the fighting, a light Kurita scout lance led by Tai-i Minobu Tetsuhara encountered Jaime Wolf himself, whose BattleMech (an Archer painted in blue and gold) was seriously damaged and overheated. Following the warrior code of Bushido, Tetsuhara allowed the respected enemy to withdraw instead of finishing him off in an uneven battle.
 Fourth Succession War
 War of 3039
 Ronin Wars
 Clan Invasion
In late 3051, the unit was assigned to help defend the district capital Alshain against Clan Ghost Bear during the Fifth Wave of Operation Revival. Using mobile tactics, the Second was able to do severe damage to the invading forces, and made successful use of several traps, at one point nearly destroying the 3rd Bear Guards. Ultimately, they were forced to retreat off-world, but did so in good order. Their tactics and skill saved another DCMS unit.
 Operation Bulldog
 Dominion War
In 3062, the 2nd Sword was relieved by the heavily damaged 22nd Dieron Regulars from garrison duty on Albiero, to participate in war against the Clan Ghost Bear. The Second Sword struck the 283rd Battle Cluster on Garstedt with only half its forces., as the other half was used to strike the Ghost Bear Dominion's world of Constance, in order to lure some of Ghost Bear units back from the Combine. Elements of the Second on Garstedt braved the Clan's onslaught until the Tenth Ghost Regiment arrived to assist in the fighting. Though extremely damaged, tradition kept the unit from being decommissioned.
 Federated Suns Incursion
 Battle of Luthien (3067-3074)
- See also: Battle of Luthien (Jihad)
Li Sak To became embittered by what he perceived as a lack of support from the DCMS during the Combine-Ghost Bear War and he tolerated sentiments propagated by the Black Dragon Society within the unit. In December 3067 and under the direction of the Society, To initiated a coup on Luthien, with the support of a majority of the 2nd Sword. Tai-sa Kiko Samohira led almost a battalion's worth of Loyalist MechWarriors and support crews in a mutiny against To's authority. Very few Loyalists survived through the battle's conclusion in 3074, due to their exuberance in seeking retaliation against the Black Dragons of the unit. 
In the last week of 3067, the Black Dragon Sworders captured the Voice of the Dragon compound and then, along side the allied Sathen's Snipers, the Imperial Palace on New Year's Day morning, 3068, capturing Franklin Sakamoto, killing Griffon Meshune and decimating the Otomo and Izanagi Warriors.
On 18 July 3069, the 2nd Sword, along with the 6th Benjamin Regulars and 40th Dieron Regulars, moved to disrupt the effectiveness of the Loyalist forces operating in the vicinity of the LAW City ruins on Guthry Island. Prematurely alerted to their presence by an engagement with an encountered Word of Blake salvage team, the 1st Genyosha levied heavy casualties on the 6th, scoring a victory for the Loyalists.
On 28 November 3073, the 32nd Division pushed against Kokuryu-kai forces located in the vicinity of the Takashi Memorial Spaceport's customs annex, securing at least one ingress to the underground complex. By destroying the main headquarters compound located there, they forced the 40th Dieron Regulars and 2nd Sword of Light out into the local neighborhoods. The 32nd lost a Command Level II and an Overlord class DropShip to a booby-trap.
On March 14th 3074, the Word of Blake ROM had leaked information regarding the presence of Buda Weapons Chief Researcher Hideoshi Yamika and his prototype Large X-Pulse Laser to the Kokuryu-kai as a means of wearing down Loyalist defenders in Skytower City. The resulting battle ended with Yamika and his prototypes being hustled aboard a Blakist DropShip.
By the end of the fighting on Luthien in early 3075, over 90% of the regiment had been destroyed. The remaining Black Dragon sympathizers surrendered and were executed without trial shortly thereafter. The Coordinator then took the unprecedented move of striking the dishonored 2nd Sword of Light from the rosters of the DCMS, forming in its place the 9th Sword of Light around the handful of Loyalist survivors. The dishonor inflicted on the Second was such that when the Coordinator struck the Second Sword of Light from the rolls of the DCMS, he instructed that at least two generations must pass before the regiment could be reconstituted. Those few members of the Second Sword who remained loyal and were incorporated into the newly formed Ninth Sword and would remain under close watch at the hands of the ISF. The scrutiny under which they were held was such that when not on duty, the warriors were kept in a constant state of house arrest. News of the Second's dishonor had a profound effect on the warriors of the other Sword regiments; many used the news to drive them to act with greater fervor in the efforts against the enemies of the combine, while many others chose to attempt to atone for the dishonor by committing seppuku. This had the knock-on effect of reducing the combat strength of the other Sword regiments, even those which saw relatively little action during the Jihad.
Colonel "Ibis" Von Rohrs assumed command of the Second in 2475 after the battle for Nox, and would remain in command until she was captured during combat on Galuzzo. Colonel Von Rohrs was the first Mechwarrrior within the Second to receive a Von Rohrs BattleMech, which she piloted enthusiastically and aggressively, although most commonly against infantry and armor.
The "Steel Dragon" preferred open set actions. As they were the only Sword of Light unit with permanently assigned infantry, armor, and Aerospace assets, however, they were also very skilled in modifying their tactics to keep their adversaries off-balance. Their "lesser" units were the equal of the 'Mech forces.
 Composition History
- CO: General Goshi Tengwan
- The command includes 3 light, 6 heavy and 3 assualt companies. The unit has also a double strength air support.
2nd Sword of Light (BattleMech Regiment/Elite) 
- CO/1st Battalion: General Goshi Tengwan
- 2nd Battalion
- 3rd Battalion
2nd Sword of Light (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Tai-sa Kelly Tok Do
The Second Sword of Light was the only Sword of Light unit with permanently assigned infantry, armor, and Aerospace assets.
2nd Sword of Light (Expanded Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO/1st Battalion: Tai-sa Saruji Hiromassu
- XO: Tai-sa Drake Namakatsi
- 2nd Battalion: Chu-sa Kevin Samuels
- 3rd Battalion: Chu-sa Li Sak To
- 4th Battalion: Chu-sa Kiko Samohira
- Of the 72 OmniMechs, many are heavies with a few lighter units for scout missions. Through the 'first salvage' right after each battle, many 'Mechs feature clan weapons.
- Wing Commander: Tai-sa Xavier Manoku
3rd Luthien Guard: The Stormwalkers (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- Armor Commander: Tai-sa Sato Moyagi
71st Mechanized Infantry (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- Troop Commander: Tai-sa Earl Washington
2nd Sword of Light (Expanded BattleMech Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Tai-sa Li Sak To
43rd Aerospace Wing: Striking Serpents (2 Wing's/Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Oswald Lesko
- Attached Aerospace support.
3rd Luthien Guard: The Stormwalkers (2 Armor Battalions/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Tai-sa Henri Wabanu
- Attached Armor support.
71st Mechanized Infantry (Battalion/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Chu-sa Renee Al-Lanna
- Attached Infantry support.
All Sword of Light regiments used a flat red paint scheme in the field and on parade. The Second Sword used a steel colored Kurita crest to denote their regiment, painted on each BattleMech's left shoulder. The symbol of the regimental division, a blazing sword, appeared on every 'Mech's back and on the front of the right leg.
In addition to the House Kurita crest and regimental symbol, the Second Battalion of the Second Sword of Light wore the flag of Kentares IV on its 'Mechs. Ever since the Second Battalion's participation in the long-ago Kentares Massacre, its MechWarriors had painted the flag of Kentares IV on the back upper-right torso of their BattleMechs as a reminder of their predecessors' willingness to sacrifice their own honor in service to House Kurita and the Draconis Combine.
 Game Rules
- The Black Dragon Society followers of the unit (during the Battle of Luthien) enjoy a modifier to all initiative rolls and when they outnumber their opponents, they always win initiative.
- During the Luthien campaign, the Loyalists get modifiers in all Ranged Combat and Physical Attacks when facing a Black Dragon member of the unit.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 29, "The Dragon's Teeth: Key Military Commands - Sword of Light"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Technical Readout: 3075, p. 206, "4RH-5 Von Rohrs / Hebi"
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 81
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 87
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 89
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 90
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé p. 62: Yorinaga retells story of his battle with Colonel Morgan Kell during the Fourth Battle for Mallory's World
- ↑ Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 27
- ↑ Invading Clans (sourcebook) pp. 27-28
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Era Report: 3052, p. 28
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 111, "2nd Sword of Light" unit profile.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, pp. 6-7, "Combatants"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 8, "Traitor's Kiss"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 10, "Tunnel Rats"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, pp. 10-11, "Light Machine"
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 13, "Sword of Light"
- ↑ Historical Turning Points: Mallory's World, p. 11
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, pp. 62-64: Yorinaga tells his son of his battle against Morgan Kell, while in command of the 2nd Sword of Light
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 137
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p 119
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 20 Year: Update, p. 41: Benjamin District, Baldur Prefecture - unit listing.
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Objective Raids, p. 27, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3054"
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 85 "2nd Sword of Light" unit profile.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 Field Manual: Updates, p. 119, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3067"
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 137
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p.143
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039 , p. 139
- 20 Year Update
- The Dragon Roars
- Era Report: 3052
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: DCMS
- Historical Turning Points: Mallory's World
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Invading Clans
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien
- The Kell Hounds
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- MechWarrior, First Edition
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3075
- Warrior: Coupé
- Wolves on the Border
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook)