Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Alshain neighbouring systems
|Recharge time||179 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Nadir (3025) and Zenith (3067)|
The Alshain system is the location of at least one inhabited world, Alshain V, as well as a substantial number of orbital installations above Alshain V and as at 3145 was located in the Radstadt Province of the Rasalhague Dominion.
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Alshain V
- 3.1 Planetary History
- 3.2 Political Affiliation
- 3.3 Planetary Rulers
- 3.4 Military Deployment
- 3.5 Geography
- 3.6 Planetary Locations
- 3.7 Industrial Centers
- 3.8 Image gallery
- 3.9 Nearby Systems
- 3.10 Notes
- 3.11 References
- 3.12 Bibliography
Planetary flag of Alshain
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||32°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3076 - 3079|
|Ruler||Mikhail Friedrich, Earl of Alshain (3025)|
|Population|| 2,759,000,000 (3025)|
2,879,000,000 (3076 - 3079)
|HPG (Representative)|| A|
(Precentor Dio LaVohne (3025))
Alshain V - more commonly referred to simply as Alshain - was the fifth planet in the Alshain system and had served as a provincial capital for the Draconis Combine. While the majority of the industry on Alshain was light industry the surface of the planet was home to a number of major manufacturing facilities operated by major defense companies and the orbital space above Alshain had a number of shipyards and facilities in place, particularly from the mid-thirty-first century onwards following the conquest of the system by Clan Ghost Bear.
The Star League
During the Star League era the BattleMech factories on Alshain earned the approval of Chancellor Takiro Kurita by producing Panther and Dragon BattleMechs for the regiments of the DCMS; by manufacturing 'Mechs manufactured solely from Draconis Combine resources, the Alshain factories were meeting his desire to free the military industries of the Combine from dependence on external resources.
The Succession Wars
Although the military industries of the Combine took heavy damage in the First Succession War, the major 'Mech factories of Alshain survived, along with the factories on Luthien; these two major industrial sites fared far better than many small 'Mech manufacturing facilities. Luckily, many of the subcontractors to the Alshain factories had also survived.
In or around 2975 the Alshain Weapons plant on Alshain was the subject of a hostile takeover by Gorton, Kingsley, and Thorpe Enterprises; the struggle for control of the company nearly bankrupted both companies, but having completed the takeover Gorton, Kingsley and Thrope steadily increased Panther production and by 3025 was looking to open three more factories producing Panthers by 3030.
By the end of the Third Succession War Alshain was a world possessed of large pine forests - a legacy of the original settlers, who started the forests - but only capable of supporting light industry beyond the major 'Mech plants on the planet. Silverdale, the capital city of Alshain, was a large city clustered around the planetary spaceport, and was also known for the large ukiyo within the city, complete with red lights and beer halls.
Of more concern to the ISF than the presence of the ukiyo was the growing resistance movement on the planet, headed up by a mysterious individual referred to as the Silver Fox. This underground movement was known as the Alshain People's Movement and was responsible for a number of terrorist attacks, including an attack that killed twenty factory workers at one of the BattleMech plants. The metsukes had attempted to quell the movement by executing suspected members of the group, but by 3025 this apparently had achieved little.
By 3076 the buildings and urban networks on Alshain were markedly different to those on most other worlds. The urban networks are marked by the lack of trees or poles blocking or interfering with the skyline, and the buildings were heavily EMP shielded and grounded because of the flash storms. For similar reasons there were very few power lines, transits or tubes aboveground; those buildings that existed had become works of art, a practise encouraged by the Ghost Bears since their conquest of the planet and its subsequent incorporation into the Ghost Bear Dominion. Many of the architects in the laborer caste had begun to use the local aesthetic as inspiration to build their own Great Works, those Works manifesting as buildings that benefit the local areas around them.
The artistic aesthetic that dominated buildings on the ground was echoed in the new construction undertaken in space; with new space docks and orbital facilities incorporating some minimal artistic flair into their basic construction, and the carefully orchestrated orbits of these facilities as well as the movement of civilian and military traffic formed what had become known as the "Alshain Star Dance", an intrictate pattern said to have moved Ghost Bear naval commanders to tears when viewed.
Alshain became a focal point for the Ghost Bears, who held the world up as an example of how the integration of both the Clan and Inner Sphere societies and cultures could work. Industrial production on Alshain had increased dramatically under the Ghost Bears, with ten slips in equatorial orbit, manufacturing and repairing civilian vessels, while three massive Warship dockyards were in geosynchronous orbit over the planetary north pole, having repaired the damage inflicted during the Trial Of Retribution between the Ghost Bears and Clan Nova Cat. The Tseng Facility, constructed over the southern pole, manufactured prodigious quantities of small craft and AeroSpace Fighters and resembled a giant glass spider; in addition to these new industrial facilities, the long-standing Alshain MechWorks had undergone a dramatic resurgence under the Ghost Bear Merchant Factor, becoming a vocal - even dominant - presence in issues affecting the Labour, Merchant and Technician castes as well as a driving force in the Ghost Bear's attempts to merge the two societies together.
Despite the progress made, Alshain was not free from issues. The Scientist caste were concerned over the amount of atmospheric pollution Alshain was suffering from, a result of the increasing demands for resources and the fact that many of the mining and power facilities on the planet were antiquated by Clan standards. The Warrior Caste placed a higher priority on military production than efforts to refurbish these old production facilities, making it unlikely that anything would be done about the atmospheric contamination.
Another problem was the ongoing resistance from deep cells of protestors and terrorists, a legacy of Alshain's turbulent past; while terrorist attacks were declining, the Watch was having little success digging out the various cells, and the agitators were making use of the new Chatterweb facilities on the planet and various underground newsnets to launch barrages of propoganda on a regular basis. With other problems demanding greater attention from the Watch, this problem was also likely to continue.
Clan Hell's Horses sent a trade envoy to Alshain in the mid 3070s; the first overtures made by the Horses towards the Bears, the result of which was some tenuous agreements that had the potential to make possible a strong economic partnership between the two Clans in the future.
On the 31st of December 3078 Alshain was subject to a terrorist attack, claimed by the Motstånd group. A massive bomb was detonated, claiming several hundred people from both Clan Ghost Bear and the Rasalhagian population as victims; casualties included several members of the Unity Council and Christian Månsdottir, the former Prince.
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - Draconis Combine 
- 2764 - Draconis Combine 
- 2765 - Draconis Combine 
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Clan Ghost Bear 
- 3057 - Clan Ghost Bear 
- 3063 - Ghost Bear Dominion 
- 3067 - Ghost Bear Dominion 
- 3075 - Ghost Bear Dominion 
- 3079 - Ghost Bear Dominion  
- 3081 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- 3085 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- 3130 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- 3135 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- 3145 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- Mikhail Friedrich, Earl of Alshain (3025)
- Sixth Alshain Regulars
- 243rd Battle (Clan Ghost Bear)
- 50th Striker (Clan Ghost Bear)
- 300th Battle (Clan Ghost Bear)
- First Claw
- Command Supernova
- Trinary Galaxy Command
Two major continents dominate the northern hemisphere of Alshain; the abundant mineral resources of these continents would drive Alshain's development as a heavy manufacturing center. The planet has a heavy crust dotted with deep crevices and thin, sparse forests - the latter a result of the planting efforts of the founding colonists - and much of the water in the planetary seas and oceans are fresh water; there are a number of reservoirs found underground, near rich ore veins and large natural gas pockets. The main continent on the planet is Ydre, and features an inland sea known as the Oresund Sea.
Alshain's atmosphere is turbulent, and creates sudden flash storms that are common along the coastal areas. The storms are extremely dangerous, but also beautiful, and have shaped the development of the various settlements on the planet.
- Silverdale: the planetary capital city.
- Alshain BattleWorx
- Alshain Naval Yards
- Alshain Weapons
- Bergan Industries
- Joint Equipment Systems
- Odin Manufacturing
- Tseng Facility
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers indicates that Alshain was a major Principality world within the Kingdom of Rasalhague prior to becoming a District capital in the Draconis Combine. Alshain doesn't appear on maps prior to the Star League era, and it was confirmed by one of the Developers that this sourcebook is in error.
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 189, "Alshain"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers,. p 109, "Clan Ghost Bear Key Worlds"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 33, "Alshain"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 51, "Takiro Kurita"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 61, "Blown Back To The Stone Age"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 138, "Weapons Industries"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 60, "The Jihad in Review"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 193, "Draconis Combine - Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "DCMS Deployment Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 25, "Ghost Bear Dominion Deployment Map "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138 "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 43, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Tabel"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 163, "Warden Clans Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 172, "Clan Force Deployments - Rasalhague Dominion"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 33, "Alshain Naval Yards"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 33, "Bergan Industries"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 34, "Joint Equipment Systems"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 34, "Odin Manufacturing"
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 34, "Tseng Facility"
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Warden Clans
- Field Report: Clans
- Field Report: DCMS
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objectives: The Clans