|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Chassis||Alshain Type 56-60H|
|Communications System||Sipher CommSys 3|
|Targeting Tracking System||Eagle Eye SY10-10|
The Dragon is a heavy BattleMech originally designed in a bid to replace the Shadow Hawk. A close assault 'Mech, its versatile design allows it to be used in both offensive and defensive operations. It boasts above-average firepower and plenty of ammunition for extended combat, while a Vlar 300 fusion engine gives it a faster-than-normal top speed. Armor coverage for the Dragon's ten tons is thick around the torso, and especially the rear, for when it is surrounded by opponents, while the squat design gives it a smaller profile and makes it harder to knock over. The lack of any especially heat-intensive devices makes the use of only ten heat sinks a non-issue. The Dragon's only major problem is it requires frequent maintenance and/or overhaul of its hip actuator.
Debuting in the twilight years of the Star League, the Dragon was turned down by the SLDF in favor of an upgraded Shadow Hawk, though it would be quietly picked up by the Draconis Combine. With the dissolution of the Star League and the onset of the Succession Wars, the Dragon became the Combine's standard 'Mech. Multiple production lines on many well-defended worlds, including Luthien, meant the design was so prevalent every battalion and almost every company featured the Dragon, with some battalions composed of nothing but these 'Mechs. So many were produced that the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth employed salvaged Dragons in their own arsenals, while many mercenary commands used captured or purchased models. The Free Rasalhague Republic would also adopt the 'Mech following their formation.
The beginning of the end came around 3025 when the Grand Dragon, an improved version of the Dragon, entered the prototype phase. By 3040 initial production had begun on this upgraded model with several Dragon factories switching over entirely to producing Grand Dragons. Even as the Combine was phasing it out of service the original Dragon was not wholly abandoned and it saw combat during the Clan Invasion. By 3065 Luthien Armor Works had ceased production altogether on the Dragon, though it would remain within the DCMS' inventory for some time.
 Weapons and Equipment
The Dragons primary weapons are an Imperator-A Autocannon/5 and Telos DecaCluster LRM-10 launcher, giving it respectable long-range damage capabilities as it charges forward. Additionally, the use of Long Range Missiles grants the Dragon indirect fire capabilities, while two tons of ammo for each weapon allows it to operate for extended periods away from supply lines. For close combat the Dragon carries two Victory 23R Medium Lasers, one rear-mounted in its torso and another in its left arm. The Dragon is also a proficient brawler, often finishing off an opponent with physical attacks, and its normally-delicate autocannon is wrapped in a thick protective sleeve for just such occasions.
- The 1C Dragon replaces the Autocannon/5 with a longer range Autocannon/2 and adds three additional tons of armor protection. This allows the Dragon to have an ever further direct fire reach, while reducing the direct fire capability at range by sixty percent. BV (1.0) = 1,021, BV (2.0) = 1,215
- The 5N variant of the Dragon was used as a bridge between it and the Grand Dragon. This field upgrade, which utilizes formerly lost technology, upgrades its normal autocannon to an Ultra Autocannon/5, which is capable of firing at twice the rate of a standard model. Additionally, the rear facing Medium Laser has been removed from the 'Mech. BV (1.0) = 1,053, BV (2.0) = 1,223
- Debuting during the civil war era, the 7N boasts superior firepower in a form of a Gauss Rifle in right arm and AC/5 in the left arm, with a traditional medium laser in left torso (firing forward now) and MRM-10 launcher in place of LRM launcher. The 'Mech is powered by an XL Engine while its ammunition stores of sixteen Gauss slugs, twenty rounds of autocannon fire and twenty-four missile salvos, all stored in the right torso, is protected by CASE. BV: 1,322
 Custom Variants
- DRG-2Y Dragon Yorioshi
- The personal 'Mech of Benjamin Military District commander Warlord Syovo Yorioshi during the DCMS's Third Succession War invasion of Galtor III, all the standard weaponry of a Dragon save the left-arm mounted Medium Laser has been removed. Instead a Large Laser is mounted in the right arm, a Small Laser in the head and a SRM-4 and Flamer mounted where the LRM rack would normally be. With a single ton of SRM reloads, the weight saved allows five extra heat sinks to be carried and three more tons of armor to be added. BV (2.0) = 1,257
- DRG-FANG "Fang"
- Piloted by Donald Takeda, the Dragon DRG-FANG is a modification of his father's DRG-1N. He designed the 'Mech to suit his brawling style in battle, giving it high armor, speed and close-range armament. It boasts a load out of two Medium Lasers, an SRM 6, and an AC/10. This variant was designed for MechWarrior Online).
- DRG-FLAME "Flame"
- Piloted by Martin Takeda, the Dragon DRG-FLAME is a modification of DRG-1C he inherited from his grandmother. As a direct opposite of his brother's Fang, he altered the 'Mech to be a good long-range fighter. His signature change is the moving of the AC/2 from the machine's arm to the left torso. It is equipped with a Medium Laser, AC/2, LRM-5, and an ER Large Laser. This variant was designed for MechWarrior Online.
- DRG-2N - The 2N Dragon is also known as the Puffing Dragon. It is the version that Takashi Kurita piloted in 3052 during the defence of Luthien. Essentially an upgraded version of the 1N, it upgrades the AC/5 to an Ultra AC/5 and adds CASE to the right and left torso sections. The forward facing Medium Laser was dropped to free up the tonnage to do so. The heat sinks were upgraded to double heat sinks while the armor was reduced to nine tons. Note: Elsewhere, it is indicated that the 'Mech used by Takashi Kurita during the Battle of Luthien was a Grand Dragon.
 Notable Pilots
- Minobu Tetsuhara piloted a Dragon while training the original Ryuken, as well as during the Battle of Misery.
 Related BattleMechs
- Grand Dragon - Though based on the same chassis, the improved version of the Dragon was generally considered to be a different 'Mech altogether. 
- Great Wyrm - While rejected by the SLDF, their successors the Clans found the filed away design specs and Clan Mongoose updated and altered into one very first new 'Mechs built on Clan Homeworlds, the Great Wyrm.
- Dragon II - The Dragon II was developed and introduced during the Dark Age. Instead of a brawler, it is more of a support unit.
A 5th Sword of Light DRG-1N Dragon stomps onto an enemy Mech
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Technical Readout: 3025, p. 74
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 72-73
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 142-143
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050, p. 124
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 66
- ↑ Introductory Record Sheets, p. 16
- ↑ Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 88
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 148
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 88
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabriged: Inner sphere, p. 150
- ↑ Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 18
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Mechwarrior Online Inside Source, ISSUE.007.DEC.2012
- ↑ BattleTechnology #21
- ↑ Luthien (scenario pack), p.??
- ↑ Wolves on the Border, p.??
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050, p. 142
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 42
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- 20 Year Update
- BattleTechnology #21
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor
- Introductory Record Sheets
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Wolves on the Border (Novel)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine