- This article is about the planet. For other uses, see Luthien (disambiguation).
|Planetary System Info|
|Position in System||4|
|Time to Jump Point||8 Days|
|Recharging Station||Zenith and Nadir|
|HPG Facility Class||A|
|Percent, Level of Native Life||10%, Amphibian|
|Planetary Capital||Imperial City|
(References to Luthien)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: 167.53 Y: 252.26[e]
 Planet Description
Luthien, as well as being the capital of the Draconis Combine, is the state's largest industrial world, with large tracts of land devoted to huge industrial complexes, the housing necessary to support those facilities and the infrastructure required to maintain it, as evidenced by the sheer amount of ferrocrete and asphalt. Due to the massive amounts of environmental decay resulting from the industrial growth, the planet has earned the nickname 'Black Luthien'.
Imperial City has been described as the 'crown jewel' of the planet. It is the home of the Kurita family and is surrounded by gardens and forests, unmolested and serene until the Black Dragon coup in late 3067.
The largest of the planet's numerous industrial complexes is located less than ten kilometers from the center of the capital city, on a series of man-made islands. Luthien Armor Works (LAW) has established its OmniMech production plant on Guthry Island and its headquarters complex, as well as LAW City is found on Tokyo Island. This facility fully covers ten square kilometers of the surface, as well as existing underground. It accounts for a significant degree of the planet's gross domestic product and provides income for millions of the planet's citizens.
The continent of Aichi is devoted largely to mining, primarily in the Fukui Wastes. Buda Weapons established its headquarters and facility at this location and the continent also hosts an example of the Environmental Reclamation Program, with over 500 hectares of forest transplanted in 3059.
The early history of the Combine, as well as the first Star League, is honored with numerous museums and memorials built in various locations around the planet. The largest is the Dragon's Tears Plaza, which has an army of samurai replicas depicting each warrior who died in defense of Luthien in 3052, during the Clan Invasion.
 Planet History
As a part of the Environmental Reclamation Project, over 500 hectares of forest were transplanted to the continent of Aichi in 3059.
The HPG on Luthien stopped transmitting on the 19th of December 3067, and late December the Black Dragons initiated their coup of the ruling Kurita family with an assault upon the Imperial City. By the end of the last week, the Voice of the Dragon compound had fallen and on New Year's Day 3068, so had the Imperial Palace. The Word of Blake began an attack on Luthien with both black water naval and ground forces on the 1st of January 3068, and later in January, the Word of Blake's 9th Division landed on-planet. The Word of Blake forces promptly sparked a three-way conflict between the Blakists, Black Dragon forces and Combine loyalists. The Black Dragons provided reinforcements via the 6th Benjamin Regulars in June. In response to the ongoing battles on Luthien one of the first decisions made by Warlord Kiyomori Minamoto directed that New Samarkand would serve as the capital of the Draconis Combine - both administrative and military - for as long as the crisis continued on Luthien.
On the 21st of July 3072, the vengeful Xi Galaxy of Clan Nova Cat arrived on-planet. On 21 August, in the Nagasaki community zone of the Crane district, a combined-arms battle occurred between Clan Nova Cat and Word of Blake forces, with the Clan withdrawing from the planet shortly thereafter. The 3072 campaign for Luthien would see the two of the Blakist WarShips recovered from the Ruins of Gabriel and elsewhere destroyed in the system, the Baron-class WoBS Light of Hope and the Carson-class WoBS Sword of Promise.
The Word of Blake's 32nd Division landed on the planet in February 3073, in order to assist the 9th and 42nd Shadow divisions in defending the Imperial City, following the departure of the Sathen's Snipers mercenary unit due to battle fatigue.
In December 3074, the Alpha, Omega and Rho Galaxies of Clan Ghost Bear swept onto Luthien, intent on wiping out all Blakist forces. Having landed on both Luthien and Pesht on the 15th of December, the Ghost Bear forces never once offered zellbrigen to any of the Word units on either world, and effectively eradicated the Word forces on both worlds by the 20th of December. Very few survivors from the Word of Blake managed to flee or become captives, and the Ghost Bear forces destroyed any DCMS forces that attempted to interfere in the Ghost Bear campaign against the Word. The Ghost Bear assault also claimed another WarShip from the Blakists core fleet, the Vincent Mk. 39-class WoBS Blade of Righteousness, and in 3075 the Blakists lost another ship, the Aegis-class Vision Quest, one of only three Clan-tech WarShips to have been captured by the Word of Blake during the Jihad.
As suddenly as they had arrived, the Ghost Bear forces left Luthien at the end of January, leaving the DCMS to frantically redeploy forces to fortify the world; the relief units began arriving two weeks later on the 14th of February, only to find no sign of any Blakist troops in the wake of the Ghost Bear withdrawal. The destruction of the 42nd Shadow Division on Luthien at the hands of the three galaxies of Ghost Bear troops represented the first instance of a Shadow Division being destroyed completely.
 Post-Jihad Era
As the Combine began to rebuild in the wake of the Jihad, the industrial sector on Luthien was the focus of reconstruction efforts; while the Luthien Armor Works facilities were all effectively a complete write-off following the destruction meted out at the hands of the Blakists, the Black Dragons and even the liberating forces, the remainder of Luthien's industry had suffered lower levels of damage. In an impressive effort, the Combine had managed to restore the bulk of the surviving industry back to full operating capability by mid 3081 with the exception of BBP Industries, and it was anticipated that even BBP Industries would be back to full working order within a few months.
 Planetary Data
- Number of Satellites: 4 (Tsu Shima, Orientalis, Hikisaku, Occidentalis)
- Time to Jump Point: 10.43 days
- Surface Water Coverage: 70%
- Atmosphere Pressure: Standard (Tainted—Pollution)
- Surface Gravity: 1.0
- Equatorial Temperature: 35°C 
 Planetary Locations
 Manufacturing Centers and Companies
- BBP Industries
- Buda Imperial Vehicles
- Defiance Motors
- Focke-Achgelis Motorworks
- Luthien Armor Works
- Luthien Armor Works - OmniMech Production Facility
- Matabushi Computing Equipment
- Ivory Trade of the Order of the Five Pillars
 Era Specific Data
- Planetary Chairman: Takashi Kurita, Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, Unifier of Worlds, and Duke of Luthien
- Population: 5,203,000,000
- Population: 7,268,000,000
 Planetary Garrison
- 1st Sword of Light (2 Battalions)
- 7th Sword of Light (2 Battalions)
- 17th Benjamin Regulars
- 2nd Genyosha (1 Battalion)
- 1st Shin Legion
- 2nd Legion of Vega
 3054 to 3079
- - In 3079 the 1st operating at 15% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
 3054 to 3067
- Otomo (2 Battalions)
- DCS The Lair of Mighty Wyrms (stationed near the gas giant Gilgamesh in 3058)
 3069 to 3073
 Owner History
- 2596 - Draconis Combine 
- 2750 - Draconis Combine 
- 2765 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine
- 3030 - Draconis Combine
- 3040 - Draconis Combine
- 3052 - Draconis Combine
- 3057 - Draconis Combine
- 3062 - Draconis Combine
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3079 - Draconis Combine 
 Nearby Planets
| Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years) |
Closest planets first:
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, pp. 3-4, "Luthien" (map)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 5, "Luthien"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 8, "Traitor's Kiss"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 6, "9th Division [Word of Blake]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "6th Benjamin Regulars [Kokuryu-kai]"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "40th Dieron Regulars [Kokuryu-kai]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "42nd Shadow Division [Word of Blake]"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Xi Galaxy [Clan Nova Cat]"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 1, "Manifest Destiny"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Original Word Of Blake Fleet"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "32nd Division [Word of Blake]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Alpha Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Omega Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Rho Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 11, "Damnation"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 14, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 125, "Shadow Divisions"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 89, "Pesht Military District"
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 181, "A Brief Atlas" - Pesht Military District - Ruler of Luthien is Coordinator in 3025.
- ↑ Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 25, "Luthien"
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 27.4 27.5 27.6 27.7 27.8 Objective Raids, p. 28, "Draconis Comine Deployment Table"
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 Field Manual: Updates, p. 119, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 12, "Genyosha Regimental Status"
- ↑ Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 15, "Aerospace Assets"
- ↑ Field Manual: ComStar, p. 127, "Star League Defense Force Deployment Table"
- ↑ Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployments"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: DCMS
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objective Raids