- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Dragon's Warders|
The Otomo are the Palace Household Guard of the Draconis Combine. Slightly more than a regiment in size, their sole purpose is to protect Unity Palace on Luthien and the Coordinator. Members of the Otomo are taken from Sword of Light regiments and the five military districts. The Coordinator assembles a list of potential members, who are then investigated by the ISF. Unit composition is a mix of 'Mechs, armor, and infantry. Traditionally, only a member of the Kurita family can become commander of the Otomo.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Unit Insignia and Colors
- 6 Notes
- 7 Rules
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
Fourth Succession War
As the Coordinator's bodyguard unit, the Otomo spent the Fourth Succession War on Luthien.
The Otomo fought in the battle of Luthien. In the course of the fighting the Otomo separated into company-sized units and opened lines of retreat, stalled enemy breakthroughs, and filled gaps that appeared in the DCMS lines. When outnumbered and isolated, they fought multiple foes at once to ensure that the Dragon would face fewer enemies. As a result of this, they took heavy casualties. The regiment was not rebuilt to complete strength until 3054.
The Kokuryu-kai elements of the Otomo turned on Coordinator Theodore Kurita. However, the mercenary command Camacho's Caballeros and the 9th Ghost Regiment intervened and stopped the traitors. Also, the Coordinator's illegitimate son, Franklin Sakamoto, had arrived to defend his father. The Otomo went through a brutal purge, with Sakamoto becoming the commander of the Otomo infantry companies.
In December in 3067, forces loyal to the Black Dragon Society invaded Luthien. On New Year's Day, 3068, the Kokuryo-kai Second Sword of Light surrounded and then attacked the Imperial Palace. The Otomo and their fellow samurai Izanagi Warriors fought a delaying action while the Loyalist 3rd Luthien Guards retreated, taking heavy casualties (including the loss of Griffon Meshune) in the process. When the commanding officer of the Second Sword of Light, Tai-sa Li Sak To, attempted to execute a number of captured members of the Otomo one of his own officers defied him. Chu-i Takiro Hutchinson recognised that Li Sak To's actions were wrong, and in an act of defiance manoeuvred his Katana between To's Akuma and the prisoners, preventing him from murdering them in cold blood. To and Hutchinson then fought each other savagely, a battle that polarised the Second Sword of Light and gave the prisoners time to escape. Although many of the prisoners including Franklin Sakamoto were subsequently recaptured they were able to sound the alarm and thereby alert the First Genyosha. Following the battle fragments of the armor from Hutchinson's Katana were carried by the other members of his lance as reminders of their duty to the Dragon.
The coup devastated the Otomo and the Izanagi Warriors. The two units' survivors joined the First Genyosha in fighting the traitors, operating under the control of Sho-sho Sajori Mitsotisa. They performed as raiders, noted for their precision and later salvage operations.
On 23 August 3072, the joint unit - in a concerted effort alongside the Xi Galaxy of Clan Nova Cat - assaulted a large Blakist supply base defended by the Forty-second Shadow Division, in the Battle of the Kyoto Zen Arcology Project. The DCMS flanking attack was intended to sow confusion within the Blakist defenses, and though deflected, did just that. A Star was able to breach the rear of the base and set off an enormous chemical explosion, resulting in the destruction of multiple units on both sides and a significant loss to the Blakist ammunition supply.
On March 14th 3074, the Word of Blake ROM had leaked information regarding the presence of Buda Weapons Chief Researcher Hideoshi Yamika and his prototype Large X-Pulse Laser to the Kokuryu-kai as a means of wearing down Loyalist defenders in Skytower City. The resulting battle ended with Yamika and his prototypes being hustled aboard a Blakist DropShip.
The Otomo relocated to New Samarkand when the Coordinator moved the Draconis Combine capital to that world. Though they were highly skilled raiders, the Battle of Luthien inflicted heavy casualties on the Otomo. They could have avoided many of these casualties, but they refused to sacrifice Combine civilians.
The Otomo's ranks dropped to a third of their pre-Jihad strength, and as of 3085 they were barely above the halfway point of their nominal strength. Though they could rebuild more quickly from the ranks of elite warriors in the DCMS, the Coordinator chose to build more slowly. This decision slowed the growth of the Otomo, the DCMS as a whole benefitting from the presence of elite soldiers. The three survivors of the 3rd Night Stalkers regiment were inducted into the Otomo to reward their continual resistance to the Word of Blake.
The Otomo as of 3145 now carries more than a full regiment of BattleMechs and an expanded battalion of battlesuit infantry. Though there is much criticism of this as other units struggle to fill their ranks. The only justification given is that of it's CO says the extra security is needed due to the current war with the Federated Suns, and in order to not let a failure like the death of Vincent Kurita happen again. 
3068, Tai-sa Franklin Sakamoto became the commander of the unit.
The Otomo specialize in defensive tactics, performing like an elite support unit. The regiment is always the last to leave any battlefield.
- CO: Tai-sa Oda Hideyoshi
Otomo (2 Battalions/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Tai-sa Oda Hideyoshi
- XO: Tai-sa Ling Sayamoto
- 2nd Battalion: Chu-sa Griffon Mashune
- 3rd Battalion: Chu-sa Date Tadakatsu
- Troop Commander: Chu-sa Minoro Hamitsu
- CO: Tai-sa Griffon Mishune)
- CO: Chu-sa Franklin Sakamoto
- CO: Tai-sa Emory Durante
Otomo Battlesuit Infantry (1 Battalion/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Chu-sa Nkosana Tinashe
- CO: Tai-sho Rikichi Kodami
Otomo Battlesuit Infantry (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Chu-sa Susumu Volkoff
Unit Insignia and Colors
The unit's insignia is a gold shield with the official Kurita crest painted on the 'Mech's upper left torso. The Otomo 'Mechs use a flat black paint scheme with gold highlights in battle and on parade.
- Era Report: 3052, p. 28
- Black Dragon, p.?? - "Camacho's Caballeros and their friends from the 9th stop the Black Dragons at nick of time".
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 119, "Pesht Prefecture"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 6, "Combatants"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 8, "Traitor's Kiss"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 94, "CR K-5003-2 Katana (Crockett)"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 9, "Feline Ferocity"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, pp. 10-11, "Light Machine"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 12
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 43
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 56, "Otomo"
- 20 Year Update, p. 42, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 28, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 80, "Otomo Unit Profile"
- "Dawn of the Jihad", p. 66
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 51, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 67, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3145"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 85, "The New Millennium"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 139
- 20 Year Update
- Black Dragon
- Dawn of the Jihad
- Era Report: 3052
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Update
- Field Report: DCMS
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145