|Star System Information|
|Star Type||F5IV (176 hours)|
(relative to Terra)
| X:149.28 Y:-13.32[e]|
(Terra at (0,0))
|Distance From Terra:||151.33|
|Number of Planets|
|Time to Jump Point||14.94 days|
|Planet: Kentares IV|
|Atmospheric Pressure|| Standard (Breathable)
Level of Native Life
|ComStar Facility Class||B|
(References to Kentares IV)
Kentares IV is a temperate and fertile world with plenty of common ores and other natural resources and almost ninety percent of the surface covered by water. But since the devastation of the First Succession War much of the planet's land mass has been covered by ruined cities and factories, which were never rebuilt.
Kentares' pleasant climate drew many colonists during the exodus from Terra. The world gave the locals almost every resource they needed and it became a primarily agrarian world.
In 2431 the Hegemony Armed Forces launched an invasion of Kentares IV as a part of Director-General James McKenna's campaign to forcibly reintegrate colonies abandoned by the Demarcation Declaration back into the Terran Hegemony. The campaign ran for six months, as Kentares was defended by battle-hardened Federated Suns troops; it was a campaign in which the limitations of combat vehicles powered by Internal Combustion Engines were starkly highlighted to the HAF, prompting the development of fusion-powered combat vehicles.
The Federated Suns would contest the Hegemony control of Kentares, with the 4th Avalon Hussars launching a campaign in the late 2440s to reclaim the planet. This conflict would involve the first deployment of DropShips intended to be military 'Mech transports, with the Hegemony forces deploying a number of Manatee DropShips. The appearance of the Manatees led to some initial successes for the HAF, but the Hussars learned to exploit the light armor and weapons array of the Manatee, destroying several of the DropShips along with their transported 'Mechs. Despite this, the Manatee deployment on Kentares proved the basic viability of the idea, even if heavier fighter screens would be needed.
All this changed during the First Succession War when House Kurita conquered large areas of the Federated Suns including Kentares. Coordinator Minoru Kurita was on the planet when he was shot by an infantryman of the 7th Crucis Lancers in August of 2796. In retaliation for this act his son Jinjiro Kurita ordered the DCMS to kill every inhabitant of the planet.
This terrible war crime, later known as the Kentares Massacre, continued for five months, during which more than 90 percent of the world's population was wiped out. It was a small compensation that, due to Jinjiro Kurita's assignment of so many regiments to the massacre and the following decline of morale in the DCMS, the Kuritan thrust into the Federated Suns collapsed.
The world itself never completely recovered despite the Federated Suns' best efforts. Various factors, including the remembrance of the massacre and the looming presence of the Draconis Combine border kept people and investors away.
The FedCom Civil War
Some of the first clashes of the FedCom Civil War took place on Kentares IV whose duke Eric Dresari publicly denounced Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion as a despot and usurper inciting demonstrations among the people of Kentares against her rule. Therefore she ordered the 5th Donegal Guards to take control of the planet. The situation escalated and culminated in the execution of Duke Dresari and his family. The surviving family members led a guerrilla war to regain control of the world.
Kentares was also a target of the DCMS reprisal attacks for the Draconis March invasion of Kurita space. On January 23 of 3065 the 3rd Benjamin Regulars landed on the planet but the local Militia held off the Regulars until the arrival of the Tenth Lyran Guards, who were due to pass through the system, defeated the invaders.
- Clovis DMM 
- Kentares DMM 
- 2431 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Federated Suns 
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2796 - Draconis Combine 
- 2808 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3075 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3085 - Federated Suns 
- 3130 - Federated Suns 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Federated Suns 
Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years). Closest planets first:
Kentares IV is the setting of the video game Mechwarrior IV.
- Handbook: House Davion, p.99
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 174, "Merkava Mk. VIII Heavy Tank"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 190, "Manatee"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 58
- Most of this paragraph is taken from the video game MechWarrior IV: Vengeance and therefore may not be canon.
- Objective Raids, p. 13
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 136
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 140
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 18
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 71, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 55, "Kentares IV"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 58, "Collapse"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succesion War  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succesion War  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succesion War  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated SunsDeployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- FedCom Civil War
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Handbook: House Davion
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- MechWarrior IV: Vengeance Video Game
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3075