- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Posts Treasure Trove Of Original ‘Mech Design Docs
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "The Crescent Hawks' Inception"
- What's up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2018
- Read more →
|X:Y Coordinates||0.00 : 0.00[e]|
|Recharge time||183 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Nadir, Zenith|
Terra is the home planet of humanity. Called the "cradle of civilization" by the inhabitants of the thirty-first and thirty-second centuries, Terra has been the capital of several interstellar nations and is the most industrialized planet in the Inner Sphere.
- 1 Planetary Data for Terra
- 2 Industrial Centers on Terra
- 3 Geography
- 4 History
- 5 Planetary Garrison
- 6 Owner History
- 7 Nearby Systems
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- Noble Ruler (3076): President of the Terran Congress Chris Windsor-Cameron
- Position in System: 3 (of 8)
- Time to Jump Point: 9.12 days
- Number of Moons: 1 (Luna)
- Surface Water: 75%
- Atm. Pressure: Standard (Breathable)
- Surface Gravity: 1.00
- Equatorial Temp: 30°C
- Highest Native Life: Mammals
- Recharging Station: Zenith and Nadir
- HPG Class: A (Multiple)
- Population (3076): 12,350,000,000
- Population (3130): 12,678,000,000
- Governor: Richard Guilani
- Planetary Legate: Helen Richter
- Noble Ruler: Precentor Martial Cameron St. Jamais
- Star Type (Recharge Time): G2V (183 hours)
- Position in System: 4
- Time to Jump Point: 9.15 days
- Number of Satellites: 2 (Phobos, Deimos)
- Surface Gravity: 0.38
- Atmosphere Pressure: Thin (Breathable)
- Equatorial Temperature: 12°C (Arid)
- Surface Water Coverage: 39 percent
- Highest Native Life: None
- Recharging Station: Both
- HPG Class: A (Multiple)
- Population (3076): 1,000,250,000
Industrial Centers on Terra
- Aldis Industries
- Amaris Arms Corporation
- Bannock-Braigh Aerospace
- Blankenburg Technologies
- Bluefin Technologies
- Bluth Corporation
- Boeing Interstellar (decommissioned during the First Succession War)
- Bowie Industries
- Devils Peak Production Site
- Di Tron Heavy Industries (decommissioned during the First Succession War)
- Ford Military Limited
- Grumman Industries
- Holly Industries
- Krester's Ship Construction (decommissioned during the First Succession War)
- Krupp Armament Works
- Leopard Armor
- Matabushi Incorporated
- Martinson Armaments
- Maxwell-Pulaski Motors
- Meers-Skobel Defense Corporation
- Millennium Industries
- Mitchell Vehicles
- New Earth Trading Company
- O'Neil Yards
- Ostmann Industries
- Pandora 'Mech Works
- Quarry Arms
- Skobel MechWorks
- StarCorps Industries
- Titan Yards
- Ulston Armor - destroyed in 2777
- Vicore Industries
- Windancer Marine Technologies
Manufacturing Centers on Mars
- Blue Nose Clipperships (decommissioned during the First Succession War)
- Cosara Weaponries
- Deimos Clipperships
- General Mechanics
- Krupp Stellar Technologies Inc.
- Rebel Industrial Technologies, Inc.
- Sekkaris Mekwerks
- Star League Defense Industries
- Wangker Aerospace
Manufacturing Centers on Jupiter
- Mercator-Campion Shipyards (located in the asteroid Andromache within the L5 Trojan Point above Jupiter)
While Terra is the third planet from the star Sol, "Terra" as a term has come to be understood as encompassing all of the Sol system. The second planet, Venus, and the fourth planet, Mars, are also inhabited. In addition, the Titan shipyards is an orbital factory that can build and repair JumpShips and WarShips.
Since the dawn of interplanetary travel, six flags have flown over Terra.
Terra was the seat of the Terran Alliance (renamed from Western Alliance in 2086). During the twenty-second and early twenty-third centuries the Alliance Parliament oversaw humanity's initial colonization efforts among the stars. This mass migration, eventually dubbed the 'Great Exodus', was responsible for the depopulation of Terra and solved the overpopulation problem the planet had been facing since the twentieth century. Following the Alliance's humiliating defeat in the Outer Reaches Rebellion of 2235-36, Terra spitefully declared all colony worlds beyond a 30 light-year radius independent, whether such worlds wanted independence or not. From 2236 until its final destruction in 2315, the Terran Alliance focused inward on Terra. As repression and tyranny grew unchecked on Terra, the Alliance Parliament became riven with factionalism, until civil war erupted on Terra in 2315, leading to the downfall of the Terran Alliance.
As the Alliance Global Militia had remained aloof from the Alliance government's petty infighting, its leader, Admiral James McKenna, was able to use his fleet to end the civil war on Terra and dissolve the Alliance Parliament. The old nation-state members of the Alliance became provinces under a single world government crafted by McKenna, who established the Terran Hegemony upon the ruins of the Alliance, and was elected its first Director-General by the Terran public.
Having re-established order upon humanity's homeworld, McKenna next solidified his control of the other worlds that had made up the Alliance. With the former Alliance's borders secure, Terra set about expanding its sphere of influence. Trade and diplomacy persuaded a few systems to join the Hegemony, but most of its new acquisitions were conquered by the Terran-dominated Hegemony Armed Forces. After a disastrous setback at Syrma in 2338 and McKenna's subsequent retirement, however, the Hegemony's new leader Michael Cameron focused upon consolidating Terra's empire and establishing relations with the neighboring states that had sprung into existence.
Under the Cameron dynasty, Terra solidified its position as the military, political, and economic center of the Hegemony. In particular, arms manufacturing was concentrated upon Terra. In addition, national loyalty to individual Terran nations was weakened and finally replaced by allegiance to Terra as a single world. Terra's environmental scars from centuries of industrialization and overpopulation were erased and the planet was converted into a beautiful capital world.
McKenna's dream of reuniting all of humanity under Terran rule finally came into fruition with the creation of the Star League, which unified humankind under Terra and House Cameron. The Star League's capital, officially known as the Court of the Star League and unofficially as Unity City, was located near Puget Sound on the continent of North America.
Terra's golden age came to an end with the Amaris Coup of 2767, and the subsequent Amaris Civil War. Far from opposing Amaris, many Terrans in fact supported him - first in accepting his deposition of the incompetent Richard Cameron, and later against the Star League Defense Force's leader Aleksandr Kerensky when the latter invaded the Hegemony. It was only when Terra itself was devastated by the SLDF invasion and the atrocities of Amaris' increasingly desperate forces that public opinion turned against the Usurper. The post-war purging of Amaris collaborators and Kerensky's Exodus left Terra and the Hegemony without any effective government, and consequently the Hegemony was defenseless against the depredations of the Great Houses.
With the death of the Cameron dynasty, the only thing the Star League Council could agree upon was the necessity of reforming the shattered HPG network that allowed interstellar communication. They appointed Jerome Blake to this task. Kerensky bequeathed whole divisions worth of troops to Blake. The onset of the Succession Wars forced Blake to stop short of his goal of reforming the Terran Hegemony, but he was able to ensure total ComStar control over the Terran system.
A shroud of secrecy descended over Terra while the quasi-mystical ComStar ruled the system. On Terra, they hid untold divisions worth of troops and protected Star League-era technology, while the Successor States blasted themselves back to the Industrial Revolution. ComStar ran their HPG network from the First Circuit Compound on Hilton Head Island.
Word of Blake
In 3058, the Word of Blake splinter faction of ComStar seized control of the Terran system from ComStar. In 3065, it became the capital of the new Blake Protectorate. It was also host to at least three invasions. The first (Task Force Vengeance) came from Wolf's Dragoons in 3068. ComStar launched the second (Case White) shortly thereafter. Both of these attacks failed. The third invasion, led by Devlin Stone, was successful and resulted in the defeat of the Word of Blake and the cessation of their Jihad. At least one tactical nuclear device was used during that invasion to destroy the First Circuit Compound.
Republic of the Sphere
After the defeat of the Word of Blake, Devlin Stone created the Republic of the Sphere. Terra is home to the Republic's capital city of Geneva, Switzerland. Republican Terra has also seen its share of warfare.
Anastasia Kerensky, leader of the Steel Wolves, unsuccessfully attacked the planet in the early 3130s, hoping to fulfill the ancient Clan goal of capturing Terra. Shortly thereafter, infighting occurred between troops loyal to the republic's Exarch Jonah Levin and forces organized by Senate loyalists. Aided by Prince's Champion Julian Davion and his Federated Suns contingent, Levin's troops were able to drive the Senate loyalists off of Terra.
- 48th Royal BattleMech Division
- 191st Royal BattleMech Division
- 6th Royal Mechanized Infantry Division
- 74th Mechanized Infantry Division
- 156th Mechanized Infantry Division
- 290th Mechanized Infantry Division
- 89th Jump Infantry Division
- 175th Jump Infantry Division
- - At this point in time, the Lament were at 95% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- - The Pride were at 35% of full strength, with 93% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- - The X Principes were at 85% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 3025 - ComStar 
- 3030 - ComStar 
- 3040 - ComStar 
- 3052 - ComStar 
- 3057 - Word of Blake 
- 3062 - Word of Blake 
- 3067 - Word of Blake 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Rigil Kentarus||5.4||Sirius||10.4||Keid||13.2||Caph||13.5||New Earth||15.5|
|Procyon||16.1||Killbourn||18.2||New Home||19.9||Altair||22.6||Carver V||26.2|
|Fomalhaut||26.3||Bryant||26.4||Dieron||27.1||New Stevens||28.4||Alula Australis||29.0|
|Lone Star||55.2||Errai||55.9||Terra Firma||56.1||Castor||57.1||Haddings||58.0|
|Hall||58.2||Quentin||58.4||Small World||58.7||Pike IV||59.4|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 249, "Terra"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p 221
- First Succession War, p. 125, "Shipbuilding Casualties of the First Succession War"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 65, "Distant Thunder: The Belter Communities and Jupiter"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 251, "SLDF - Terran Hegemony Military Command Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 145, "Republic Armed Forces - Stone's Brigade"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding ["
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- BattleCorps:Touring the Grand Canal of Mars
- BattleCorps:Touring the Grand Canal of Mars (Part 2)
- BattleCorps:Touring the Grand Canal of Mars (Part 3)
- BattleCorps:Touring the Grand Canal of Mars (Part 4)
- BattleCorps:Touring the Grand Canal of Mars (Part 5)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers