- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Epsilon Indi neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||29.20 : -15.56[e]|
- 1 Epsilon Indi
- 2 Epsilon Indi I
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Notes
- 2.8 Nearby Systems
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
Epsilon Indi I
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted)|
|Highest native life||Reptiles|
|Ruler|| Governor: Cecil Abraham|
Planetary Legate: Pedro Robinson
Epsilon Indi I - most commonly known simply as Epsilon Indi - is the only planet in the system.
Having become independent as a result of the Demarcation Declaration, Epsilon Indi was subsequently added to the resurgent Terran Hegemony; whilst some worlds joined the Hegemony during its early years as a result of diplomatic and trade incentives, many more were conquered in "campaigns of persuasion" launched by Director-General James McKenna, the first of which began in 2316 and ended with the capture of Towne in 2317. Epsilon Indi was one of the worlds added to the Hegemony during or around the time of this first military campaign.
Star League Era
Epsilon Indi hosted a Star League-era Space Defense System that was responsible for destroying the Thirty-fourth Royal BattleMech Division and the 568th Armed Transport Flotilla during the Amaris Civil War. Amaris' forces captured Epsilon Indi during Operation APOTHEOSIS by liberally using neutron weapons against orbital defense sites along with lightning attacks, decimating the population of the planet in the process. The Amaris Empire forces turned the planet into a brutal gauntlet that inflicted heavy damage on the Star League Defense Force troops that attempted to liberate it during the Amaris Civil War. Although the SLDF was able to liberate the planet, the Amaris Empire forces engaged in scorched-earth tactics as they withdrew, deploying the remainder of their nuclear weapons in the process; the planet was left devastated, and centuries later the marks of the brutal tactics were still visible. As late as the thirty-second century the much-reduced population of the planet were largely confined to living in the polar regions, which had managed to escape most of the fallout from the nuclear weapons; the remainder of the planet was heavily marked with deserts, empty seabeds and the abandoned and bombed-out remains of cities.
Epsilon Indi had the misfortune of being one of the last of the Hegemony worlds to be liberated; the presence of the SDS network made it a daunting prospect for liberation, and with the imperative to recapture Terra in 2777, Commanding General Aleksandr Kerensky made the decision to bypass Epsilon Indi and three other systems known to have active SDS deployed: Terra Firma, Thorin and Zollikofen. Monitoring ships were left in place to track the SDS drones in the system, in anticipation of Stefan Amaris ordering that drones from Epsilon Indi be moved to Terra to help fortify his seat of government against the SLDF.
When the SLDF Fleets had secured the Terran system, two of Kerensky's senior Admirals, Brandt and Grec, focussed on repairing as many WarShips as they could, with the intention of destroying the drones within the remaining SDS networks still under the control of the Amaris Empire Armed Forces. Many WarShips were so badly damaged that they had to either be scuttled or turned into temporary orbital stations, but Grec prioritised those that could be repaired, placing the WarShips under the command of Admiral Marina Akkayev-Cameron as they were declared fit. Akkayev-Cameron was then tasked with removing the last SDS networks, a task she began with the SDS network in the Thorin system in November 2777. Akkayev-Cameron's fleet finally cleared the SDS network in the Epsilon Indi system in June 2778, after three months of repairs and refitting following the damage inflicted clearing the network in the Terra Firma system.
On all four worlds, the destruction of the SDS networks was heralded as a sign of imminent liberation at the hands of the SLDF, and there was the widespread assumption amongst the occupied population that a ground assault to free their worlds would follow soon. On Epsilon Indi and the other three worlds the local resistance dramatically stepped up their campaigns against the Republican garrisons, launching terrorist attacks and harrassing the AEAF units. Whilst the SLDF fleet was able to launch some attacks using fighters or orbital bombardment against large Republican formations, the SLDF ground forces were committed elsewhere, and the Republicans launched oppressive attacks against the resistance. The resistance soon realised that no liberating forces were going to arrive, and the Republican garrisons grew increasingly bold, destroying the majority of the resistance cells and imprisoning many of the survivors. The resistance, Hegemony patriots who had held out through twelve years of occupation, were slaughtered en masse, with the AEAF achieving more control over the planet in just a few months than had been managed throughout the entire of the rest of the occupation.
The SLDF Navy didn't abandon Epsilon Indi - several running battles were fought against Republican vessels in the system - but the Navy was unable to offer much support to those on the ground, and dozens of DropShips full of Republicans were able to escape from Epsilon Indi, Terra Firma, Thorin and Zollikofen in late 2778 and early 2779. The bulk of the Republicans on Epsilon Indi surrendered after Stefan Amaris' surrender was broadcast on the 29th of September 2779, although a number of die-hard Amaris supporters continued to fight for some time afterwards. As with Terra Firma, Thorin and Zollikofen, the population of Epsilon Indi felt betrayed by Kerensky, and viewed his actions as a crime against their world; they became some of the most vocal of Kerensky's critics in the remaining years before the Exodus, calling variously for Kerensky to resign, and for him to be imprisoned for crimes against Humanity.
Epsilon Indi was one of the first worlds taken by the Word of Blake during the Jihad, captured along with Fletcher and Tall Trees in a campaign that saw all three worlds annexed by the Word of Blake Protectorate by the 30th of December 3067. On the 6th of June 3075 Epsilon Indi was one of three worlds within the Word of Blake Protectorate to be raided simultaneously by unidentified forces. The raiding force on Epsilon Indi damaged the local Protectorate units and was rumoured to be one of the Word of Blake's own Shadow Divisions. While in control of Epsilon Indi the Blakists conducted a number of operations from Boreria and the capital city, New Rhodes, in particular.
In the last week of February 3078 the First Sword of Light regiment landed on the world and drove off the Blakists. Unfortunately the Blakists deployed a biological weapon before they left the world, poisoning the water table. This biological attack affected the water supply to several major cities, and when coupled with the severe damage inflicted in the conventional conflict, led several observers to speculate that the population would need to relocate or face extinction.
The Dark Age
During the Dark Age the population of Epsilon Indi managed to gain access to the rich mineral deposits across all four continents from mining operations in Boreria and Kantiles. The largest of the mining settlements, Kirst, was located on the northern shore of Kantiles and was just four hundred kilometers from the southern edge of Surterra, which remained an uninhabitable wastes. Surterra also remained badly scarred from the battles during the Star League era, but was also home to the mining colony of Vogelton, which was located inside a dome. Despite the five decades of peace after the Jihad Epsilon Indi remained a world still struggling to recover from the wars that had marred it.
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3063 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Chaos March 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3078 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3085 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- Epsilon Indi Irregulars (1 mixed regiment)
- Langendorf Lancers
- Epsilon Indi Freedom Brigade 
- Second Division
Rich in minerals, Epsilon Indi has four major continents named Boreria, Ithicasia, Kantiles and Surterra. Boreria and Kantiles are located at the north and south poles respectively, whilst Ithicasia and Surterra lie close to the equator, with Ithicasia lying in the northern hemisphere and Suterra in the southern hemisphere, somewhat west of Ithicasia.
- Kirst: the largest mining settlement on Kantiles after the Amaris Civil War; located on the northern shore of Kantiles, some four hundred kilometers south of Surterra.
- New Rhodes: the planetary capital city after the Amaris Civil War, located on Boreria.
- Vogelton: a domed mining colony and the last surviving settlement on Ithicasia following the Amaris Civil War.
- The planet Epsilon Indi is misspelled in the ComStar sourcebook as Epsilon Indiri.
- Although the text indicates that Epsilon Indi has no moons, the artwork provided for it in Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130) shows a single small moon above the planet.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 239, "Epsilon Indi"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding " Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HB:HMp16" defined multiple times with different content
- The Star League, p. 16, "Terra's Errant Flock"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding "
- The Star League, p. 88, "Admiral Braso's Last Transmission"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 91-92, "Winner Takes All"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 17, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 54, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 70
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 84-85, "Atrocities And Excesses"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. vii, "Capellan Confederation Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor/Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii , "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 84, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Chaos March, p. 36
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 125, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental , p. 66, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 98, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Principes Guards"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: CCAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- The Star League