- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Died:||20 April 3067|
|Parents|| Adriaan Sortek (father)|
Vela Sortek (mother)
Ardan Sortek was born at his family's estate, Sortek Hall on New Avalon in 2993.
In 3019, Ardan commanded a raid on the Draconis Combine planet of Nashira in which he and his men destroyed several important Combine computer research facilities despite overwhelming odds. For his heroism, Ardan was promoted to Commanding Officer of the Davion Heavy Guards and awarded the Federated Suns' highest honor, the Medal Excalibur.
Ardan gave up his command when he requested to be part of the task force that would retake Stein's Folly in 3025. In that same year, he discovered Maximilian Liao's plot to replace Hanse with a double. Hanse would later appoint Ardan to the exalted position of Prince's Champion.
He ceased to be Prince's Champion upon Hanse Davion's death in 3052, when he was replaced by Galen Cox. He was reinstated after Cox's apparent death in 3055 and finally replaced again (illegally) by Simon Gallagher under Katherine Steiner-Davion's regime, being forced into exile in 3060 alongside Prince Victor Steiner-Davion and Jerrard Cranston, all of whom served with the Star League Defense Force for the next several years.
He became the primary opponent of Katherine's rule, alongside Dukes Eric Dresari, Morgan Kell, Petyr VanLees and Frederick Bradford, until the assassination of Arthur Steiner-Davion. Arthur's death drove Ardan and his cousin, Bishop Sortek, (CO of the Davion Brigade of Guards and the 1st Davion Guards) to openly revolt, sparking the FedCom Civil War. He then became Precentor Martial Victor's second-in-command of the Allied Davion forces in the civil war.
In 3065, Ardan went to New Syrtis to try and convince George Hasek to join Victor's side of the war. He was rebuffed, but tried again after George's forces had managed to destroy Loyalists invading the planet. George refused to support Victor, but would continue to defend the Capellan March worlds. He did release the Davion Light Guards to Ardan, as well as gifting two Templar Assault OmniMechs.
Sortek died on April 20, 3067, while in his Templar OmniMech, saving Victor's life from a Loyalist head-hunting attack during the final battle of New Avalon, the culminating battle of the Civil War.
Ardan's father was Major Adriaan Sortek, Baron of Crossroads Prairie on New Avalon, and a close friend of First Prince Andrew Davion. His mother was Vela Sortek. He had one sister, Felsa, who had at least one male child of which Hanse Davion was the godfather.
Ardan's son was Connor Sortek, who fought for Devlin Stone during the Jihad. Connor had a son, Justin Sortek (thus Ardan's grandson), who became the CO of the 1st Davion Guards, which were part of the Swordsworn until 3136.
- For most of his career, Sortek piloted a Victor. By the end of the FedCom Civil War, he used a Templar.
- One of the first characters introduced in one of the first BattleTech novels, The Sword and the Dagger, he was also one of the last to die in the final novel of the original series, Endgame. Effectively, this makes him the longest running character in the original series of BattleTech novels before the start of the MechWarrior: Dark Age novel series.
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 183 - Ardan Sortek Profile
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 14, "3067"
- The Sword and the Dagger
- FedCom Civil War, p. 77
- Davion Guards as part of the Swordsworn