|Planetary System Info|
|Star Type||G5V (186 hours)|
|Position in System||4|
|Time to Jump Point||7.47 Days|
|Recharging Station||Zenith and Nadir|
|HPG Facility Class||A|
|Percent, Level of Native Life||50%, Mammal|
|Planetary Capital||Avalon City|
(References to New Avalon)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: 266.49 Y: -110.84[e]
- 1 Planetary Data
- 2 Era Specific Data
- 3 Planetary Garrison
- 4 Planet Description
- 5 Planetary History
- 6 Planetary Locations
- 7 Manufacturing Centers & Companies
- 8 Owner History
- 9 Nearby Systems
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
- Number of Satellites: 3 (Avatar, Galahad, Valiant)
- Surface Gravity: 1.0
- Atmosphere Pressure: Standard (Breathable)
- Equatorial Temperature: 30° C (Temperate)
- Surface Water Coverage: 60 percent
- HPG Class: A
Era Specific Data
- Population: 5.876 billion
- 3 Colonial Marine Regiments
- First Davion Guards RCT
- Third Davion Guards RCT
- Davion Heavy Guards RCT
- New Avalon Crucis March Militia
- Team Banzai
- Markson's Marauders
- New Avalon CrMM
- New Avalon CrMM
- First Davion Guards RCT
- Davion Heavy Guards RCT
- Team Banzai (1 Battalion in rotary duty)
- 299th Division
- New Avalon Cavaliers
- Second NAIS Cadet Cadre
- First Davion Guards RCT
- Fifth Donegal Guards RCT
- Tenth Lyran Guards
- Twenty-second Avalon Hussars LCT 
- Fourth Crucis Lancers 
- Davion Heavy Guards RCT 
- Davion Light Guards RCT 
- First Davion Guards RCT 
- First Davion Guards RCT
- Second Davion Guards RCT
- First Robinson Strikers LCT
- New Avalon Crucis March Militia
- Davion Assault Guards RCT
- First Avalon Hussars LCT
- New Avalon Crucis March Militia
- First NAIS Cadet Cadre
The planet has five continents and four seas. The largest and most important of the continents is Albion. Avalon City, capital of New Avalon and ancestral home of the Davion family, is also the capital of the Federated Suns. The continent is very diverse geographically, moreso than any of the other continents. Albion also hosts the New Avalon Institute of Science, situated 30 kilometers south of Avalon City.
The northernmost continent is New Scotland with its capital of Dundee. Snow covers the continent for nine months out of the year, but is a wonderful habitat for the Silver Ice Snake-Weasel, a two meter-long creature prized for its fur. It also has the only major deposits of precious metals.
The second largest continent is Brunswick, named after a family of major landholders early in the planet's history. It is the site of much oil production and hosts two major spaceports, three major cities and a majority of New Avalon's industry. The capital is Brunswick City.
The third largest continent is Rostock and has the only desert on the planet. The continent is large and flat and contains Gaveston's Gorge, the largest canyon on New Avalon. It is the breadbasket of New Avalon and provides a substantial amount of food. Large swaths of the land are owned by noble families who raise a wide variety of animal stock. The capital of the continent is Flensburg.
New Hebrides is a island group near the equator in New Avalon's largest sea. The climate is quite hot and tropical and the terrain can be rugged, with high mountain ranges across the islands. The islands are also frequently struck by strong hurricanes. Because of the tropical nature of the island group, it is a primary producer of fruits on the planet. The capital of the group is Thomasville.
Discovered in 2205 by the TAS Camelot, the verdant richness of the planet was visible immediately. Developed rapidly and blessed with pleasant weather, the planet quickly became a destination for colonists, most settling in three waves between 2213 and 2221. The original colonists of New Avalon were selected on Terra by a quota system, drawing from volunteers from various western European nations; the largest contributions by percentage came from Scotland, Ireland, England, Germany and Pan-Scandanavia.
The colonists were accompanied by the typical core government and administrative structure demanded by the Terran Alliance at the time, and shared the world with an Alliance Governor-General, the Governor-General's entourage, three regiments of Colonial Marines and a host of formulated laws, quotas and regulations dictated by Terra. New Avalon flourished quickly, though; within fifteen years of the first settlement being founded the colonists had scattered hundreds of farming communities across the fertile world, with eight cities were established across three continents.
The inhabitants quickly managed to cross-breed several Terran plants with the indigenous plant life and created New Avalon wheat, a hearty strain that is grown throughout the Inner Sphere. With its favorable climate, New Avalon continues to be a major food supplier to surrounding systems.
Age of War
In 2512 a virulent plague broke out on New Avalon; one of the victims of the plague was First Prince William Davion, who lingered for a week before dying in March. Before dying, William named his grandson Alexander Davion as heir, but passed his seal of office to his sister, Laura Davion, and the ring of First Prince to his other sister, Cassandra Davion. This was was one of the events that led to the Davion Civil War.
William was just one of many victims of the plague; the mortality rate of the plague was approximately 30%, and one of the measures taken to try and limit the spread of the disease was a series of mass quarantines that isolated large areas and restricted all contact with New Avalon.
Star League Era
By the height of the Star League New Avalon was the location of a significant percentage of the defense manufacturing that supplied the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. While the overall manufacturing base of the Federated Suns was highly dispersed and diversified, a core group of worlds - New Avalon, Crofton, Kathil, Panpour, Salem and Talcott - supplied move than half of all the equipment used by the AFFS.
New Avalon was besieged by the Word of Blake from the beginning of the Jihad. The campaign to capture New Avalon began on the 5th of December 3067, when the Word of Blake issued final threats over the decision of the Federated Suns to withdraw from the Second Star League; this was followed by a Word of Blake fleet assault on New Avalon. The Blakists had positioned three WarShips in the outskirts of the New Avalon system, the Aegis-class heavy cruiser WoBS Herald of Justice, Riga-class WoBS Red Angel and the Essex-class WoBS Divine Forgiveness - in anticipation of announcing themselves as the defenders of New Avalon following the successful incorporation of the Word of Blake into the Second Star League. When the Federated Suns withdrew from the Second Star League, those orders were replaced with orders to instead discipline the Federated Suns for its errors. WarShips from the AFFS - the Fox-class corvettes FSS Antrim and FSS Bryceland - attempted to interdict the Blakist fleet as it approached New Avalon, and managed to cripple and then destroy the enemy flagship the WoBS Herald of Justice via suicidal collisions but despite the heavy fighting in space the AFFS could not prevent the Word from bombarding Avalon City and dropping almost a division of ground troops onto the city.
In what became known as the First Battle of New Avalon, the Thirty-first Militia Division battled the planetary defenders while the Blakist WarShips and pocket WarShips used orbital bombardment to attack the AFFS ground forces. The Second NAIS Training Cadre and the New Avalon Cavaliers were destroyed from orbit, whilst the First Davion Guards RCT and the remnants of the Fifth Donegal Guards and Tenth Lyran Guards battled the Thirty-first; although both the Fifth and Tenth were ground down to nothing during weeks of brutal combat, the Thirty-first simply couldn't overcome the defenders, who were veteran, battle-hardened commands that had survived the brutal FedCom Civil War. Despite the damage taken, the defending forces pushed the Thirty-first off New Avalon by the end of December 3068.
Whilst the Divine Forgiveness and Red Angel ensured Blakist aerospace supremacy in the aftermath of the First Battle, the defenders reorgnaised their forces; the Fifth Donegal had been completely destroyed, but the survivors of the New Avalon Cavaliers, Second NAIS Training cadre and Tenth Lyran Guards formed an ad-hoc command that augmented the First Davion Guards, while New Avalon called in Beta Regiment of the Twelfth Vegan Rangers and four complete commands from the Davion Brigade of Guards - the Davion Assault Guards, Davion Heavy Guards, Davion Light Guards and the Third Davion Guards - as reinforcements.
The first Word of Blake reinforcements arrived on New Avalon on the 10th of February 3068. Arriving using JumpShips that had executed superjumps, the Thirty-sixth Militia Division made planetfall ahead of any of the AFFS reinforcements, initiating the Second Battle for New Avalon with nuclear weapons to make up for a lack of numbers. The nuclear bombardment shattered the First Davion Guards as well as laying waste to much of Avalon City. The Thirty-second was soon close to seizing control of the planet when the Davion reinforcements arrived in-system, each arriving at a different point and approaching the planet via different vectors in an effort to evade or breach the Blakist blockade, with varying degrees of success. Some or all of the Davion Light Guards DropShips were intercepted by the Blakist WarShips, while pocket WarShips destroyed half of the Third Davion Guards as they made their atmospheric insertion.
With the Vegan Rangers, Assault and Heavy Guards and the survivors of the Third Guards on-planet, the defenders were able to relieve the survivors of the First Guard and the balance of the battle tipped back to the defending forces. A year of brutal combat ruined Avalon City, and the damage spread to other cities across New Avalon; the Blakist raided outlying cities, causing additional damage, and massive infrastructure damage ensued across Albion. The planetary HPG network was destroyed, and civilian casualties climbed into the millions as the defenders slowly achieved a series of victories, forcing the Blakists off-world in March 3069. Between the Thirty-first and Thirty-sixth Divisions the damage inflicted on the defending commands was significant; none of the AFFS units could muster even half strength, and the Second Battle ended in a stalemate; just as with the aftermath of the First Battle, the AFFS controlled the surface of New Avalon, but the Blakists continued to exercise orbital superiority, which they further reinforced by deploying a third WarShip to the system in November 3069 - the Eagle-class frigate FWLS Mordred.
The battle for control of the planet continued for years; as late as November 3072, the remaining defenders on New Avalon were still preventing the Blakists from controlling the world. It was during November 3072 that the Blakists received significant supplies, including additional aerospace forces and additional armaments for the three WarShips. Then, in December 3072, the Fifth FedCom RCT arrived in the New Avalon system and attempted to make planetfall. En route to the planet the Fifth FedCom threw their nuclear arsenal at the Red Angel, destroying it and a pocket WarShip. Whilst the arrival of the Fifth FedCom brought some additional hope to the defenders, it also generated a renewed focus on New Avalon on the part of the Blakists, who deployed additional ground forces - including the Forty-fourth Shadow Division and the mercenary unit Bronson's Horde, who arrived on the 20th of December and rapidly initiated the Third Battle for New Avalon.
It was the Third Battle for New Avalon that was perhaps the most decisive for the Word of Blake forces; troops under the command of Precentor Geoffrey Zucker and Precentor Avitue seized Mount Davion on the 4th of February 3073 and killed the AFFS Marshal of the Armies, Jackson Davion. Avitue was heavily wounded in the attack and evacuated by the Blakists, but the death of Jackson Davion broke the morale of the defenders and achieved a clear victory for the Blaists, who now controlled the planet and the system.
Following the Blakist victory, the Word of Blake forces were recalled from New Avalon on the 14th of September 3074. The decision to recall the Blakist forces was made by Precentor Martial Cameron St. Jamais as a result of the continuing insurgency being fought by the surviving AFFS personnel and a multi-system embargo enacted by AFFS naval forces that choked off supplies for the Balkists.
Two weeks later, as a part of their departure, the Word of Blake detonated high explosive charges in and around Mount Davion that partially collapsed the mountain and sealed up the entrances to the Fox's Den. In addition to the destruction of Mount Davion, Avitue also ordered a number of other scorched-earth attacks against the planet; the Blakists also firebombed the Achernar BattleMechs factory, the few surviving NAIS facilities and Davion Palace on the 27th of September.
In January 3075 the Princess-Regent, Yvonne Steiner-Davion, and Tancred Sandoval-Davion returned to New Avalon, touring Avalon City and re-establishing the Federated Suns central authority on New Avalon in the wake of the Word of Blake occupation. A rousing speech given by the Princess-Regent rallied the defenders, and she announed a rebuilding programme for Avalon City that would take place near the ruins.
On the 12th of October 3079 the dedication of the rebuilt New Avalon City and Castle Davion was used to open a week-long summit known as the "Camelot Summit". The Camelot Summit was a week-long event headed up by the Princess-Regent and attended by prominent military and political leaders from throughout the Federated Suns, during which various topics important to the future of the realm were discussed and decisions made. Topics covered included the creation of the new Periphery March, which was formally announced on the 16th of October and to which General Raymond-Roger Marsin was named Duke and Lord; the resolution of the ongoing conflict with the Taurian Concordat, the restructuring of the sorely understrength AFFS and the post-Jihad direction of the Federated Suns. The Camelot Summit was also the site of the last Blakist operation on the planet; a sleeper cell assassinated Cole Williams, the Chief of MIIO, and prompted an exhaustive MIIO operation that uncovered and purged a small network of Blakist sleeper agents.
Manufacturing Centers & Companies
- Achernar BattleMechs
- Avalon Arms Company 
- Banzai Weapons Design Company
- Corean Enterprises 
- Federated News Services
- Lycomb-Davion IntroTech
- Novais Motors
- 2205 - Terran Alliance
- 2237 - Independent world 
- 2317 - Independent world 
- 2571 - Federated Suns 
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2764 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3059 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3075 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3085 - Federatd Suns 
- 3130 - Federatd Suns 
- 3135 - Federatd Suns 
- 3145 - Federatd Suns
Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)
Closest systems first:
Ipava 12.53 Argyle 12.78 Belladonna 17.74 Delavan 19.03 Numenor 20.57 Augusta 27.55 Odell 29.36 Galax 30.84 El Dorado 34.22 Arcadia 34.76 Freisland 39.38 Coloma 40.36 Torrence 43.06 Vecchio 44.96 Streator 47.46 Paulding 48.20 Northfield 48.232 Saginaw 48.234 Leipsic 48.27 Chebanse 49.26 Strawn 50.82 Remagen 54.62 Kirklin 55.21 Steeles 56.22
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 42
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 10, "Founding of New Avalon"
- MechWarrior (1989 Video Game) (apocryphal)
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, pp. 3-4, "New Avalon" (map)
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 252, "SLDF - Federated Suns Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 14, "Regimental Status"
- Field Report 2765: AFFS, p. 10, "Avalon Hussars - Regimental Status"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11, "Operation RAT"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 12, "Operation RAT"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 13, "Operation RAT"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 136, "Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 70, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 15, "Deployment Table - 3054"
- Objective Raids, p. 96, "Unit Notes"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 84, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental , p. 67 - "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 139, "Federated Suns Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179 - "Lyran Alliance Deploment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployments"
- Field Report: AFFS, p.9
- Field Report: AFFS, p.11
- Field Report: AFFS, p.12
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 71, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 91, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 39, "William the Fair"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 40, "Death of Prince William"
- Field Report 2765: FS, p. 6, "Infrastructural Integrity"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- Total Chaos, p. 43-45, "New Avalon (sidebar)"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Original Word Of Blake Fleet"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 5 Naval Support
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 51, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 26, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 52, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 14, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 60, "The Jihad In Review"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 10-11, "Kruger Combat Car"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 8
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 18, "Federated Suns at their Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succesion War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succesion War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succesion War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of  -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero "
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111, "Taurian Concordat and Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- 20 Year Update
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: AFFS
- Field Report: AFFS
- Handbook: House Davion
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns
- Total Chaos