- This article is about the planet. For the WarShip, see Tharkad (WarShip).
Tharkad neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-212.99 : 151.77[e]|
|Recharge time||187 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Orbital view of Tharkad
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||20°C (Arctic)|
|Highest native life|| Reptilian (3075)|
|Population|| 7,000,000,000 (3061)|
|Socio-Industrial Levels|| A-A-A-A-A (3061)A-A-A-A-C (3067)|
- 1 Era Specific Data
- 2 Military Deployment
- 3 Description
- 4 History
- 5 Planetary Locations
- 6 Industrial Centers
- 7 Companies
- 8 Political Affiliation
- 9 Nearby Planets
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
Era Specific Data
- Noble Ruler: Katrina Steiner, Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth and Duchess of Tharkad
- Political Leader: Katrina Steiner
- ComStar Representative: Most Exalted Ambassador, Ulthar Everston, Precentor of Tharkad Station
- Second Royal Guards
- First Royal Guards RCT
- Sixty-Sixth Division
- Thorin FTM
- Eleventh Arcturan Guards RCT
- Twenty-fourth Lyran Guards RCT
- First Royal Guards RCT
- Second Royal Guards RCT
Tharkad is a icy and rugged planet, similar to the arctic wilderness of Terra. The planet consists of five major continents and three major island chains. The largest continent is Bremen and is home to Tharkad City, capital of the world and the Lyran Commonwealth, and Olympia, a major city. Asgard the military command center of the LCAF lies on the crest of Mount Wotan The other four continents are Franz, Grolsch, Heidelberg and Sutherland. Tatyana Islands, one of the island chains, is situated in a tropical zone and was once a major Star League storage depot.
The Triad is a sprawling governmental complex that is bounded on three sides by the Royal Palace, the Government House, and the Royal Court. Over 300 buildings make up the complex, which also contains hospitals, churches, and botanical gardens.
The Royal Court contained a very interesting sight during the Third and Fourth Succession Wars - two Griffin BattleMechs guarded either side of the Archon's throne during court functions. Mount Wotan, situated near the Triad, contains Asgard, the military high command complex.
Discovered in 2310, Tharkad rapidly came under the control of Seth Marsden. Marsden imported a number of cold-weather plants and animals from Terra and elsewhere, making it somewhat similar to Scandinavia on Terra during the 20th century. It became the capital of the Lyran Commonwealth in September of 2407 and a large space was cleared north of the major city of Olympia to house the governmental buildings, called the Triad. It was here that the Star League was reconstituted at the Whitting Conference in 3058. Subsequent Whitting Conferences were held here in 3061 and 3067 (the 3064 conference was held on Marik, due to the FedCom Civil War).
The Tharkad system served as the homeport for the 8th Fleet (SLDF) during the final years of the Star League. This served to remind the Commonwealth of the Star League's protective presence. It also was there to remind the Lyrans of the forces they would have to contest if on the extremely unlikely case the Lyran Commonwealth declaring war on the Star League. The fleet presence also assisted the Nagelring in training their cadets by having warship assets in system for training on a regular basis.
In addition, there was a sizable ground garrison as well with a BattleMech Division stationed on-world.
FedCom Civil War
Being an interior world, Tharkad was spared the ravages of the Age of War and the Succession Wars. That did not save it from later wars, however. Tharkad was home to one of the final battles of the FedCom Civil War. As the war drew to a close, supporters of Victor Steiner-Davion over his sister Katherine realized that they needed to claim the Lyran capital. Grand Duke Morgan Kell played kingmaker for Peter Steiner-Davion, bringing him out of a self-imposed exile on Zaniah. When Peter landed on Tharkad and asked Katherine's regent Nondi Steiner to back him, she flatly refused.
Within a week, Peter's forces entered the Tharkad system and engaged the defenders in a brutal naval battle. The pride of the Lyran fleet, the LAS Yggdrasil, was captured by Clan Wolf-in-Exile forces. Morgan was able to land with a pan-Lyran coalition composed of Phelan Kell and his 4th Wolf Guards Assault Cluster, the 20th Arcturan Guards, both regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars, and the 1st Regiment of the Kell Hounds. These were joined by the 4th Skye Rangers RCT after the Skye secession seemed doomed to failure. Opposing Peter was the 1st and 2nd Royal Guards RCTs, the 24th Lyran Guards RCT, 1st Alarion Jaegers, 11th Arcturan Guards RCT, and ComStar's 66th Divison.
Peter's experienced forces proved to be more than a match for Nondi's defenders. His supporters were able to claim the Nagelring, then moved on to Tharkad City. In the end, bitter street-to-street fighting damaged the capital city of the Lyran Alliance. After eight months of battle, Peter killed his great-aunt in a one-on-one duel, ending that Battle of Tharkad.
While it was one of the last battles of the FedCom Civil War, the Battle for Tharkad was one of the first in the Word of Blake's Jihad. When the Second Star League dissolved in 3067 on Tharkad, the Word immediately went on the offensive. They saw the Federated Suns and the Lyran Alliance as the culprits, since they claimed they could no longer afford to support the League with the massive rebuilding they needed to do after the war. The Blakists attempted to cow Lyran Archon Peter Steiner-Davion into returning to the League with a show of force in the form of the LCS Invincible. The Word had found and refit the last WarShip lost during the Succession Wars, and intended to return it to the Lyrans as a gift. With the dissolution of the Star League, however, the interpretation of a prophecy that the dominant faction of the Word believed in was destroyed, which provoked them to violence.
When Archon Peter was unshaken by the implied threat of the Invincible, the Blakists rained down fire upon the capital city of the Lyran Alliance. This assault damaged the nuclear reactor under the Triad and caused a meltdown, though confused early reports believed the Blakists had launched a nuclear weapon. The Invincible and at least three other Blakist WarShips - the McKenna-class battleship WoBS Blake's Sword, the Sovetskii Soyuz-class WoBS Stalwart Defender and the Essex-class destroyer WoBS Deliverance - formed a naval blockade that formed the backdrop for a four-year-long siege of the Lyran capital that was typified by Blakist orbital bombardment clearing space for their ground troops to secure a beachhead, who were then defeated by Lyran troops. Although the Blake's Sword, Stalwart Defender and Deliverance were all withdrawn for other tasks in 3068, the blockade in place on Tharkad remained highly effective. The LCAF made a major but ultimately unsuccessful effort to breach the Blakist blockade on the 18th of March 3069 with an AeroSpace Fighter and DropShip task force in an effort mounted from Coventry. The Invincible also proved equally destructive when used against any gathering of resistance forces on the surface of Tharkad, bombarding a number of targets and at one point destroying the Luftenburg-class blue water carrier believed to be transporting the Archon.
The Word's blockade was so successful that the Archon was effectively cut off from his people. A rescue mission sent by General of the Armies Adam Steiner was only able to get out with a message of hope from Peter, confirmation that he was still alive.
Despite the effectiveness of the Blakist blockade, the resistance remained a constant and active threat, supported by the local population and determined to harry the Blakist occupiers. Using their intimate knowledge of the terrain and climate of Tharkad, the resistance fiercely resisted the occupation, despite facing the Thirty-seventh Militia Division, Fortieth Shadow Division and the mercenary unit known as Lowbräu. Despite the relatively low numbers the resistance was apparently capable of mustering, it managed a degree of success that outstripped its strength; at one point, the resistance succefully ambushed and annihilated Precentor McKinnsey and his Level II, throwing the Blakist forces into confusion and turmoil until Precentor Kishimoto took command. The resistance continued to fight despite the steady influx of Blakist reinforcements and the lack of any real prospect of ousting the Word from their occupation.
In 3071, Peter abdicated so that the Blakists could no longer symbolically control the Archon. In his place, he designated Adam Steiner as his successor. Now-Archon Steiner was able to liberate Tharkad in January 3072, complete with the capture of the LCS Invincible. The force Adam led to liberate Tharkad on the 11th of January was primarily a Lyran attack force augmented by elements drawn from a variety of other groups, including Clan Wolf-in-Exile, Wolf's Dragoons, the Kell Hounds and even a token Clan Jade Falcon formation. The liberation had to begin by breaching the naval blockade; Adam Steiner had assembled a considerable DropShip and aerospace force, which was backed up by a trio of WarShips - the Mjolnir-class battlecruisers LCS Fylgia and LCS Yggdrasil and the Fox-class corvette LCS Ian McQuiston. The two Mjolnirs led the attack on the Invicible, their presence masking Adam Steiner's true plan for dealing with the Invincible; with the battlecruisers drawing the Blakists attention, two hundred marines were delivered onto the Invincible via more than twenty assault shuttles that had concealed themselves among the clouds of fighters surrounding the Mjolnirs. The marines fought a savage deck-by-deck battle that saw more than three-quarters of them killed, but which left them in command of the Invincible, returning her to the Lyran navy for the first time in centuries.
With the blackade breached, the Ian McQuiston escorted the bulk of the assault force to Tharkad, only to encounter a wave of Blakist Pocket WarShips. The Ian McQuiston was able to easily defeat the individual Leopard, Mule and Union-class Pocket WarShips, but was destroyed by a swam of nuclear missiles. Adam Steiner had remained on his Overlord-class DropShip during the assault, in accordance with ancient practises drawn up for assaults, and survived the destruction of the Ian McQuiston; the Third Lyran Guards were the first formation to land, their orbital drop pointing the regiment down in the outskirts of Tharkad city itself. The Third's drop zone was deliberately chosen to allow them to disrupt the Blakist operations and keep the occupiers attentions on the Third, allowing the remaining units in the task force - the First, Second and Third Royal Guards, Twenty-fourth Lyran Guards, Eleventh and Twentieth Arcturan Guards RCTs, the First Kell Hounds, the Thirteenth Wolf Guards, Wolf's Dragoons, the Grave Walkers and the token Jade Falcon Nova to land.
As the Third Lyran Guards and the Jade Falcon Nova commanded by Star Commander Tara Helmer sold themselves dearly against the Blakists the remainder of the Lyran task force launched a brutally efficient attack against the Thirty-seventh Militia Division. The Twentieth Arcturans caused problems for the task force; taking it upon themselves to investigate reports of the location of Peter Steiner-Davion, the Twentieth moved out of their assigned operational area and recovered the former Archon and insisted on escorting him to the allied staging grounds, only returning to the main conflict after threats of court-martial. The Thirty-seventh was driven onto the waiting guns of the Thirteenth Wolf Guards by the Third Lyran Guards, and the efforts made by the Blakists to withdraw in order and retreat were constantly hampered by the Kell Hounds and Wolfs Dragoons. By the time of the Blakist defeat at the end of January 3072, less than two Level IIIs had managed to retreat off-world.
With Tharkad liberated, Adam Steiner called on all the surviving defenders to gather together at Tharkad City; the combined surviving resistance forces that assembled at Tharkad after four long years of war amounted to just a combined-arms battalion of surviving line-troops, corporate soldiers, mercenaries and local resistance fighters.
Adam gave the Archonship back to Peter following the liberation of Tharkad. With the chaos of the Jihad, Peter decided to decentralize power in "archonettes." Following the defeat of the Blakists in 3081, Tharkad reclaimed its place as the only Lyran capital.
On the 11th of December 3074 Tharkad was host to an understated wedding ceremony between Archon Adam Steiner and his fiancée, Baroness Heather Fyhne of Arcturus, followed in days by an announcement that the Baroness was pregnant with their first child.
By the end of the Jihad there wasn't a major manufacturing facility on Tharkad that had taken less than 75% damage during the course of the conflict. By 3079 the most productive plant on Tharkad was the Defiance Motors plant, running at 40% of pre-Jihad capacity.
Post Jihad Era
Efforts to rebuild Tharkad were underway by the end of the Jihad, including work on restoring the Triad, irradiated though it was. With Lyran pride on the line, no expense was being spared; while the restoration work was going on, the government was operating out of what had been the summer court in the tropical Tatyana islands. Still operating on Tharkad in 3079 were Defiance Motors, Lockheed/CBM Corp., Tharhes Industries and Tharkad AeroSpace Group.
The Nagelring was still offering training programs, although the bulk of the planetary militia consisted of the majority of those guerrilla fighters who didn't end up joining the various formations of the Royal Guards. The rolls of the militia included all those injured either physically or mentally during the fighting against the Blakists on the planet; this allowed those individuals access to jobs, counseling and medical aid, with both the support and blessings of the planetary government. At this point, the Militia was focussing a large part of its time ensuring that during the clean up and reconstruction work going on around the Triad civilian safety wasn't compromised.
- Bauer Enterprises
- Defiance Motors
- Lockheed-CBM Corporation
- Semier Data Tron
- Taatyana Trans-Oceanic Shipyards
- TAG-Manufacturing
- TharHes Industries
- Lyran Free Traders Association
- SeraVideo Entertainments Incorporated
- Tharkan Media Associates
- 2340 - Protectorate of Donegal
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3079 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3081 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3085 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3130 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3135 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3145 - Lyran Commonwealth 
| Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years) |
Closest planets first:
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 25, "Tharkad"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 93, "House Steiner Key Worlds"
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction, p. 167, "Tharkad Profile"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, pp. 3-4, "Tharkad" (map)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 165, "Planet Guide"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 255, "SLDF - Lyran Commonwealth Military Command Map"
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 9, "Regimental Status"
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 17, "Royal Guards" - Regimental Status
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137, "Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 29, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 82, "Unit Note"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 178, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 109, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 133, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Donegal Province"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 5, "Tharkad"
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 114, "Homeport"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 255, "SLDF - Lyran Commonwealth Military Command Map"
- Endgame, p.??
- Total Chaos, p. 47-49, "Tharkad (sidebar)"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Total Chaos, pp. 48, 110-111, 114-115
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 3, "State of the Industry at a Glance (Dec 3079)"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 26, "Tharkad"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 146, "Major Commonwealth Industries"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 142, "Major Commonwealth Industries"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 139 "Economics - Major Industries - Tharkan Media Associates"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Protectorate of Donegal world within the Lyran Commonwealth befor  and after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 39 "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere "
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 21, "Lyran Alliance Armed Forces Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- 20 Year Update
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance
- Total Chaos