- This article is about the planet. For the WarShip, see Tharkad (WarShip).
(References to Tharkad)
Tharkad neighbouring systems
|Recharge time||187 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Orbital view of Tharkad
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||20°C (Arctic)|
|Highest native life|| Reptilian (3075)|
|Population|| 7,000,000,000 (3061)|
|Socio-Industrial Levels|| A-A-A-A-A (3061)A-A-A-A-C (3067)|
 Era Specific Data
- Noble Ruler: Katrina Steiner, Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth and Duchess of Tharkad
- Political Leader: Katrina Steiner
- ComStar Representative: Most Exalted Ambassador, Ulthar Everston, Precentor of Tharkad Station
 Garrisoning Military Force
 3055 to 3062
- Thorin FTM
- 11th Arcturan Guards RCT
- 24th Lyran Guards RCT
- 2nd Royal Guards RCT
- 1st Royal Guards RCT
Tharkad is a icy and rugged planet, similar to the arctic wilderness of Terra. The planet consists of five major continents and three major island chains. The largest continent is Bremen and is home to Tharkad City, capital of the world and the Lyran Commonwealth, and Olympia, a major city. Asgard the military command center of the LCAF lies on the crest of Mount Wotan The other four continents are Franz, Grolsch, Heidelberg and Sutherland. Tatyana Islands, one of the island chains, is situated in a tropical zone and was once a major Star League storage depot.
 The Triad
The Triad is a sprawling governmental complex that is bounded on three sides by the Royal Palace, the Government House, and the Royal Court. Over 300 buildings make up the complex, which also contains hospitals, churches, and botanical gardens.
The Royal Court contained a very interesting sight during the Third and Fourth Succession Wars - two Griffin BattleMechs guarded either side of the Archon's throne during court functions. Mount Wotan, situated near the Triad, contains Asgard, the military high command complex.
Discovered in 2310, Tharkad rapidly came under the control of Seth Marsden. Marsden imported a number of cold-weather plants and animals from Terra and elsewhere, making it somewhat similar to Scandinavia on Terra during the 20th century. It became the capital of the Lyran Commonwealth in September of 2407 and a large space was cleared north of the major city of Olympia to house the governmental buildings, called the Triad. It was here that the Star League was reconstituted at the Whitting Conference in 3058. Subsequent Whitting Conferences were held here in 3061 and 3067 (the 3064 conference was held on Marik, due to the FedCom Civil War).
 FedCom Civil War
Being an internal world, Tharkad was spared the ravages of the Age of War and the Succession Wars. That did not save it from later wars, however. Tharkad was home to one of the final battles of the FedCom Civil War. As the war drew to a close, supporters of Victor Steiner-Davion over his sister Katherine realized that they needed to claim the Lyran capital. Grand Duke Morgan Kell played kingmaker for Peter Steiner-Davion, bringing him out of a self-imposed exile on Zaniah. When Peter landed on Tharkad and asked Katherine's regent Nondi Steiner to back him, she flatly refused.
Within a week, Peter's forces entered the Tharkad system and engaged the defenders in a brutal naval battle. The pride of the Lyran fleet, the LAS Yggdrasil, was captured by Clan Wolf-in-Exile forces. Morgan was able to land with a pan-Lyran coalition composed of Phelan Kell and his 4th Wolf Guards Assault Cluster, the 20th Arcturan Guards, both regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars, and the 1st Regiment of the Kell Hounds. These were joined by the 4th Skye Rangers RCT after the Skye secession seemed doomed to failure. Opposing Peter was the 1st and 2nd Royal Guards RCTs, the 24th Lyran Guards RCT, 1st Alarion Jaegers, 11th Arcturan Guards RCT, and ComStar's 66th Divison.
Peter's experienced forces proved to be more than a match for Nondi's defenders. His supporters were able to claim the Nagelring, then moved on to Tharkad City. In the end, bitter street-to-street fighting damaged the capital city of the Lyran Alliance. After eight months of battle, Peter killed his great-aunt in a one-on-one duel, ending that Battle of Tharkad.
While it was one of the last battles of the FedCom Civil War, the Battle for Tharkad was one of the first in the Word of Blake's Jihad. When the Second Star League dissolved in 3067 on Tharkad, the Word immediately went on the offensive. They saw the Federated Suns and the Lyran Alliance as the culprits, since they claimed they could no longer afford to support the League with the massive rebuilding they needed to do after the war. The Blakists attempted to cow Lyran Archon Peter Steiner-Davion into returning to the League with a show of force in the form of the LCS Invincible. The Word had found and refit the last WarShip lost during the Succession Wars, and intended to return it to the Lyrans as a gift. With the dissolution of the Star League, however, the interpretation of a prophecy that the dominant faction of the Word believed in was destroyed, which provoked them to violence.
When Archon Peter was unshaken by the implied threat of the Invincible, the Blakists rained down fire upon the capital city of the Lyran Alliance. This assault damaged the nuclear reactor under the Triad and caused a meltdown, though confused early reports believed the Blakists had launched a nuclear weapon. That act began a four-year-long siege of the Lyran capital that was typified by Blakist orbital bombardment clearing space for their ground troops to secure a beachhead, who were then defeated by Lyran troops. The LCAF made a major but ultimately unsuccessful effort to breach the Blakist blockade on the 18th of March 3069 with an AeroSpace Fighter and DropShip task force. The Word's blockade was so successful that the Archon was effectively cut off from his people. A rescue mission sent by General of the Armies Adam Steiner was only able to get out with a message of hope from Peter, confirmation that he was still alive.
In 3071, Peter abdicated so that the Blakists could no longer symbolically control the Archon. In his place, he designated Adam Steiner as his successor. Now-Archon Steiner was able to liberate Tharkad in January 3072, complete with the capture of the LCS Invincible. The force Adam led to liberate Tharkad on the 11th of January was primarily a Lyran attack force augmented by elements drawn from a variety of other groups, including Clan Wolf-in-Exile, Wolf's Dragoons, the Kell Hounds and even a token Clan Jade Falcon formation. Adam gave the Archonship back to Peter following the liberation of Tharkad. With the chaos of the Jihad, Peter decided to decentralize power in "archonettes." Following the defeat of the Blakists in 3081, Tharkad reclaimed its place as the only Lyran capital.
On the 11th of December 3074 Tharkad was host to an understated wedding ceremony between Archon Adam Steiner and his fiancée, Baroness Heather Fyhne of Arcturus, followed in days by an announcement that the Baroness was pregnant with their first child.
By the end of the Jihad there wasn't a major manufacturing facility on Tharkad that had taken less than 75% damage during the course of the conflict. By 3079 the most productive plant on Tharkad was the Defiance Motors plant, running at 40% of pre-Jihad capacity.
 Post Jihad Era
Efforts to rebuild Tharkad were underway by the end of the Jihad, including work on restoring the Triad, irradiated though it was. With Lyran pride on the line, no expense was being spared; while the restoration work was going on, the government was operating out of what had been the summer court in the tropical Tatyana islands. Still operating on Tharkad in 3079 were Defiance Motors, Lockheed/CBM Corp., Tharhes Industries and Tharkad AeroSpace Group.
The Nagelring was still offering training programmes, although the bulk of the planetary militia consisted of the majority of those guerilla fighters who didn't end up joining the various formations of the Royal Guards. The rolls of the militia included all those injured either physically or mentally during the fighting against the Blakists on the planet; this allowed those individuals access to jobs, counseling and medical aid, with both the support and blessings of the planetary government. At this point, the Militia was focussing a large part of its time ensuring that during the clean up and reconstruction work going on around the Triad civilian safet wasn't compromised.
 Manufacturing Centers
- Bauer Enterprises
- Defiance Motors
- Lockheed-CBM Corporation
- Semier Data Tron
- Taatyana Trans-Oceanic Shipyards
- TharHes Industries
- Lyran Free Traders Association
- SeraVideo Entertainments Incorporated
- Tharkan Media Associates
 Owner History
- 2340 - Protectorate of Donegal
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance
- 3062 - Lyran Alliance
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance
- 3076 - Lyran Alliance
- 3130 - Lyran Commonwealth 
 Nearby Planets
| Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years) |
Closest planets first:
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 25, "Tharkad"
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 93, "House Steiner Key Worlds"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction, p. 167, "Tharkad Profile"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, pp. 3-4, "Tharkad" (map)
- ↑ House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 165, "Planet Guide"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 20 Year Update, p. 29, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- ↑ 20 Year Updage, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Tabel"
- ↑ Objective Raids, p. 82, "Unit Note"
- ↑ ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Field Manual: Updates, p. 178, "Lyran Alliance Deploment Table"
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 5, "Tharkad"
- ↑ BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction
- ↑ Endgame, p.??
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 3, "State of the Industry at a Glance (Dec 3079)"
- ↑ Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 26, "Tharkad"
- ↑ House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 146, "Major Commonwealth Industries"
- ↑ House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 142, "Major Commonwealth Industries"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 139 "Economics - Major Industries - Tharkan Media Associates"
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Protectorate of Donegal world within the Lyran Commonwealth befor  and after at their founding in "
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- ↑ Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- 20 Year Update
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Updates
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance