- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Manufacturer|| Matabushi Incorporated|
Shipil CompanyFederated-Boeing 
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Drive System||Star League V450|
|Safe Thrust||1.5 g|
|Max Thrust||2.5 g|
|Fuel (tons)||306 tons|
|Fuel (days)||166.3 days|
|Armament|| 6x PPCs |
12x Medium Lasers
6x Large Lasers
|Armor|| Standard |
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||3/3|
|Heat Sinks||120 (single)|
|BV (2.0)||4,702|
The Overlord is one of the primary 'Mech transport DropShips in the Inner Sphere. Capable of carrying a full 'Mech battalion and a squadron of Aerospace Fighters, as well as most of the technical support for both, the nearly-10,000 ton vessel has proven its worth as a dedicated combat transport. Usually kept out of combat to minimize the risk of loss of these expensive vessels, when grounded they often serve as dedicated command stations and resupply bases in longer campaigns. These highly valued ships started to become scarce in the later Succession Wars, but rediscovered technology and refits have continued to keep them in service.
The armament of the Overlord is impressive for a dedicated 'Mech transport, but pales in comparison to most Assault DropShips and newer designs with better technology. Long range fire is covered by six PPCs, six Large Lasers and three LRM-20s. Close in firepower is mostly built around its two AC/20s, with support from six AC/5s and twelve Medium Lasers. It carries sufficient ammo for those weapons that need it, but not enough for a drawn out engagement.
- Bay 1: 36 'Mechs - 6 Doors
- Bay 2: 50 tons of Cargo - 1 Door
- Bay 3: 6 Fighters - 2 Doors
The number of variants of the Overlord class are too numerous to list. While they were customized extensively prior to the fall of the original Star League, the modifications to remaining units was an obvious necessity, primarily due to the loss of damaged equipment and the inability to repair and replace the same. However, mission-specific modifications are still common. Most notable as an example is the Running Fox, House Davion's flagship, modified to be more luxurious and act as a command post, for when the First Prince is on campaign.
Two other common modifications can sometimes be seen within the Inner Sphere: the first, often referred to as the Overlord-Two, reduces the 'Mech component by 12 and brings in a company of vehicles. The Command-Overlord subtracts only four 'Mechs and adds in the equivalent tonnage for command and control facilities (including added berthing).
Other notable variants include:
- Starting in 3056, Shipil Company began production of an upgraded variant of the Overlord armed primarily with advanced weaponry. Replacing the nose weaponry with two ER PPCs and three Gauss rifles while adding Artemis IV FCS to the missile launchers, the remainder of the energy weapons have been replaced with either pulse or extended-range variants, the advanced energy weaponry is hampered by the unchanged coolant system. Further, minor reinforcement was done to the ship's structure. BV (1.0) = 4,892, BV (2.0) = 5,680
- Overlord A-3
- Developed in 3058 as a WarShip escort, the A-3 removes the 'Mech bays, freeing up space and weight to boost the armor and weaponry, replacing the existing array with eleven ER PPCs, twelve Gauss Rifles and ER Large Lasers, sixteen Medium Lasers, four Artemis enhanced LRM-20s, four Large Pulse Lasers and ten Medium Pulse Lasers. Most notably the A-3 carries an AR-10 capital missile launcher and a massive teleoperated Kraken-T launcher in its nose, retaining the fighter bays while adding berths for a platoon of Battle Armor marines. BV (1.0) = 21,831 (21.988) BV (2.0) = 24,600
- Overlord A3A
- Developed alongside the A-3, this version replaces the Kraken-T missile launcher with a second AR-10. It carries ten Gauss Rifles, eleven ER PPCs, twelve ER Large Lasers, twelve Medium Lasers, four LRM-20s with Artemis, four Large Pulse Lasers, ten Medium Pulse Lasers, a Screen Launcher and four Laser AMS. This variant of the Overlord cannot carry any marines or battle armor, but does carry six fighters. BV (2.0) = 18,624
Overlord Ship Gallery
- Dropships and Jumpships, p.17
- Handbook Davion p.181
- MUL online date for the Overlord
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 52 - BV1
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 247
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 172 Overlord - Notable DropShips - Running Fox fluff mentions Overlord Modifications for Hanse Davion's flagship.
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 52 - Unstated overlord variants notes.
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 52 - Background, stats, and BV1 of Overlord (Upgrade)
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 248
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 180 - A3's background, stats, and Battle Value 1.
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 249
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 307
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 308