|Manufacturer||Irian Technologies , Federated-Boeing Interstellar ,Majesty Metals and Manufacturing, Taurus Territorial Industries, Bowie Industries|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Drive System||Star League V84|
|Safe Thrust||2 g|
|Max Thrust||3 g|
|Fuel (tons)||137 tons|
|Fuel (days)||74.5 days|
|Armament|| 2 x PPCs |
3 x LRM-20s
7 x Medium Lasers
5 x Large Lasers
|Armor|| Standard |
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||2/0|
|Heat Sinks||80 (single)|
A simple and easy-to-maintain design, the Leopard quickly became the standard lance-sized 'Mech carrier for the original Star League and the Great Houses. Its relatively low operating costs and plethora of existing replacement parts (with the exception of the drive system) has allowed it to not only survive the Succession Wars as a ship class, but become the predominant entry vehicle for 'Mech recon, objective raid, and special operations missions. The two fighter bays allow for the lance's air support needs or act as enlarged cargo areas for booty.
In reference to its layout and allegedly also to its atmospheric handling, the Leopard is widely known by its nickname, "Brick".
The Leopard has an impressive weapons loadout for such a small DropShip, most useful for attacks from aerospace interceptors. It can be easily overwhelmed, however, if swarmed. While it does count on three long range missile racks for heavy hitting, two PPCs, five Large Lasers, and seven Medium Lasers give it more than enough combat capability when its munitions run out.
The Leopard can accomodate its regular crew of 9, plus pilots and techs for the vehicles carried.
The venerable Leopard, like many Succession War survivors, has had numerous modifications made throughout the vessel's class, mostly minor differences owing to the numerous manufacturers throughout known space such as the version produced in the Magistracy of Canopus that mounts Parti-Kill PPCs instead of the large lasers. Typical refits or modifications include a tank carrier version capable of carrying 12 vehicles. It is also not unknown for Leopard owners to remove the 'Mech cubicles entirely (and often the AeroSpace fighter cubicles as well) and simply use the Leopard as a cargo ship.
The Leopard was also the inspiration for the Leopard CV, a dedicated AeroSpace Fighter carrier.
Some of the more notable variants include:
- Introduced in 3056, Irian Technologies and Federated-Boeing Interstellar have both released almost identical updated versions of the Leopard, leading to accusations from Federated-Boeing of Irian engaging in industrial espionage. The modern version features improved, though still cramped, crew berths and a more powerful air circulation and filtration system. The Leopards weapon array has also been refitted, switching to ER and pulse energy weapon and adding Artemis IV FCS units to the LRM launchers, supported by switch to Double Heat Sinks. BV(1.0) = 3,211, BV (2.0) = 3,376
- Pocket WarShip
- Developed by the Word of Blake at Irian Technologies' Clipperton yards, the Pocket WarShip refit features a larger more powerful drive system and fifty-four tons of Ferro-Aluminum armor. The standard weaponry of the upgraded Leopard is retained, but the 'Mech and fighter bays have been replaced by a single Teleoperated Killer Whale Capital Missile Launcher and an eleven-missile magazine, making the venerable design a considerable threat during the Jihad. BV (2.0) = 6,607, 7,674
- Leopard PA
- A Pirate created custom variant of the Standard Leopard which first appeared in 3075 over world of Repulse. Intelligence reports on the vessel have shown that the standard Leopard has converted into an Assault type DropShip with Advanced Technology enhancements. The ship's principle weaponry includes 5 ERPPC mounted in the nose with PPC Capacitor for each of them. Backing up the PPCs is a 20-Tubed LRM launcher with Artemis IV & a pair of Small Pulse Lasers. Mounted in the broadsides & Aft is pair of Binary Lasers. Additional LRM-20s are mounted in its broadsides. Mounted on each of the the wings, the ship has a pair of Small Pulse Lasers. In addition to Binary Lasers, four Medium Pulse Lasers are mounted to protect the ship's aft. The ship is protected by 38 tons of Ferro-Aluminum armor, with it concentrated more on the nose. The ship retains the standard fighter compliment, but also has been given two small craft bays, which houses some Battle Taxis. As part of the Pirate Leopard's marine compliments, it has infantry bays for 4 platoons of Jump Troops. BV (2.0) = 6,220
- Dropships and Jumpships, p.17
- online date for the Leopard
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 202
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 203
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 106
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 223
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates pp. 15, 27 - Leopard PA - ship info & record sheet.
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets
- Combat Operations
- DropShips and JumpShips
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3057 - pg 13-14
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3075 - pg, 106-107