- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
- This article is about the DropShip class. For other uses, see Broadsword (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Marshall Orbital Yards|
|Drive System||Peterson 211|
|Safe Thrust||2.5 g|
|Max Thrust||4 g|
|Fuel (tons)||130 tons|
|Fuel (days)||70.7 days|
|Armament|| 2x ER Large Lasers |
2x ER PPCs
8x Medium Pulse Lasers
2x Small Pulse Lasers
1x Anti-Missile System
5x LRM-20s with Artemis IV FCS
2x Streak SRM-6s
|Armor|| 30 tons Standard |
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||2/2|
|Heat Sinks||79 (158)|
Developed by Clan Sea Fox shortly before they became Clan Diamond Shark to replace the venerable Leopard-class, the Broadsword-class is superficially similar to the older design but has been redesigned to carry five OmniMechs as per Clan military structure.
The Broadsword features a balanced blend of speed, firepower and armor superior to its parent design, making it well suited to raiding or reconnaissance missions. The craft's only lack is integral AeroSpace Fighter support like that carried by the Leopard, a choice forced by the need to carry an additional 'Mech. The versatile and reliable craft is in use in the toumans of most Clans, though Clan Steel Viper fields the lion's share after successfully staging a Trial of Possession for the Diamond Sharks' Marshall Orbital Yards.
The Broadsword features an effective armament for its size, with twin ER Large Lasers and ER PPCs, a Artemis IV FCS equipped LRM-20 and single Medium Pulse Laser mounted in its nose bays, supported by twin LRM-20 launchers, a trio of Medium Pulse Lasers and a single Small Pulse Laser in each wing. Aft firepower is all short-range with a another Medium Pulse Laser carried between two Streak SRM-6 launchers. Ten tons of LRM and four tons of Streak missiles give the Broadswords missile launchers reasonable endurance, though only a single ton of reloads for its nose-mounted Anti-Missile System can quickly leave it open to attacks from enemy launchers.
The Broadsword is built around its ability to transport a complete OmniMech Star, but is somewhat restricted by its legacy of being based on the Leopard. The four side-bays are relatively identical to those of its aging predecessor, with the fifth bay sitting within the craft's nose in the approximate position of the Leopards two fighter bays. This problematic arrangement causes headaches for the technicians assigned to look after the 'Mech in the nose bay, as only the smallest 'Mech parts can fit through the internal passageway linking the other bays. Worse, the Broadsword's main cargo bay is located on the vessel’s upper deck, which can only be reached via a pair of stairways, thus most of the vessel’s cargo must be manually transported between decks.
- MUL online date for the Broadsword
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 206
- Bloodright (scenario pack), p. 64
- Technical Readout: 3057, pp. 72-73
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 70-71