(References to Hsien)
Hsien neighbouring systems
|Recharge time||181 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||48°C (Very Hot)|
|Highest native life||Reptiles|
|Reference Year||3079 - 3130|
|Ruler|| Hassid Montong (Governor)|
Lucinda Maxwell (Planetary Legate)
|Population|| 3,580,000,000 (3079)|
- 1 Owner History
- 2 Planetary Info
- 3 Planetary History
- 4 Planetary Garrison
- 5 Nearby Systems
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2781 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Independent world 
- 3062 - Independent world 
- 3067 - Capellan Confederation/Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3077 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3139 - Tall Trees Union 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
The world of Hsien had a thriving ecosystem when first discovered by explorers; mixing both tropical expanses and arid deserts, the ecology of the landmasses strongly resembled that of post-Jurassic Terra.
The major landmasses on Hsien are the Montong and Dendeez Chains, two semi-volcanic mini-continents, and the southern super-continent of Chengu. Concentrated in the tropical forests of Chengu and Dendeez chains are a number of species of large reptilian creatures, largely herbivorous in nature and bearing a vague resemblance to the ancient dinosaurs that once roamed Terra. While this lush climate would seem to encourage life, the planetary water supplies on Hsien suffer from high concentrations of toxic microbes and heavy metals inimical to human life.
The Chengu inlands contain modest reserves of useful mineral ores, with the heaviest concentrations located in the mountains found on Montong Prime and around the Zhoulin Sea, a landlocked sea on Chengu.
According to MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game, the large moon of the Hsien system's fourth planet is a mining world. (It is actually implied to be the primary inhabited world in the system.)
Settled by colonists predominantly from Asia and the Indian subcontinent, the first human in habitants of Hsien identified that the large reptiles on the planet were mostly herbivores and had little trouble containing them. The colonists quickly learned that water purification plants would be needed to deal with the microbes and heavy metals already in the water, but the mineral ores found on Hsien supported modest industrial growth and the beginnings of the local noble class, starting with the Montong family. The Montong family were the settlers and stewards of the Montong Chain and the founders of the Montong Mining Consortium, based out of Zhoulin.
Star League Era
Hsien became a part of the Terran Hegemony and prospered during the era of the Star League, but when the Capellan Confederation annexed Hsien after the fall of the League in 2781 they exiled many of the noble families from Hsien, including the Twohy family, who had held the planet as a dukedom and included the heavily-industrialised Dendeez Chain as a part of their personal fiefs.
The Succession Wars
In common with many of the former Terran Hegemony worlds, the Succession Wars saw Hsien change hands a number of times, locked in the cycle of warfare that marked the era. When Hsien was incorporated into the Federated Commonwealth following the absorption of the short-lived Tikonov Free Republic the FedCom government attempted to influence the world by investing heavily in the Montong family, the last of the ancestral noble houses, but instead ended up alienating the underclass that made up most of the population.
This resentment saw the population opt to rejoin the Confederation after the Federated Commonwealth began to break up in 3057, after CCAF forces had already shattered the remaining FedCom forces on the planet. Capellan rule over the world didn't go uncontested, however; Baron Luis Montong V waited until the bulk of the invasion forces had departed and then turned on the Capellan government, igniting a civil war across the planet. The three-sided war incorporated Baron Montong's forces, forces from the Dendeez Province, which incorporated the Dendeez Chain, base of most of the planet's heavy industry, and the pro-Capellan citizens of Chengu.
The Word of Blake took advantage of the civil war on Hsien, first taking control of the local HPG and then by returning a scion of the Twohy family back to Hsien. Colonel Brenn Twohy, the leader of the mercenary unit the Hsien Hotheads, brought his unit with him, and when the Jihad erupted the Blakists allowed him to assume control of Hsien.
The end of the Jihad in 3079 has yet to bring peace to Hsien; already the site of a number of three-way battles between the occupying Word of Blake Militia, forces from the Capellan Confederation and Devlin Stone's Coalition, the tentative cease-fire enacted with the defeat of the Word of Blake was rumoured to have been quickly broken by incidents of low-level sparring between Coalition troops and the 4th McCarron's Armored Cavalry. These would continue the conflict between coalition and Confederation forces on Hsien that began with the arrival of both groups in January 3078, one of several worlds on which the two groups clashed during Operation SCOUR. Footage from the Palos Daily News journalist Kirkland Terhune via a live feed from the surface of Palos on the 4th of January showed the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers working alongside the 4th MAC against the Word of Blake Protectorate Militia; both the CCAF and the Blakist Protectorate Militia were seen to be engaged simultaneously by forces from the 12th Atrean Dragoons, one of the units assigned to the Free Worlds League front of SCOUR.
Media sources on Hsien reported in early February that the coalition forces from Group II of the Free Worlds League task force had landed on Hsien first; the 7th Donegal Guards, 11th Mechanized Cavalry, 12th Atrean Dragoons and the Devil's Brigade possessed broadly equivalent numbers to the defending 1st Hsien Protectorate Militia Division and the Hsien Hotheads, and began to steadily push the Blakist forces back until the CCAF forces landed and began attacking both the Word of Blake defenders and the allied coalition forces. The battle for control of Hsien continued as a three-way struggle until the coalition commander persuaded the CCAF commander that they should work together. The two then co-operated until the CCAF forces allegedly ignored attempts by the Blakists to surrender, only to turn on the coalition troops again when they attempted to intervene before being forced to withdraw. Hsien was finally under coalition control, but the various units - including the Clan Hell's Horses 11th MCav - had lost almost half their forces, and would pause for rest and refit for some time.
The liberation of Hsien saw the industriplexes of Chengu and Dendeez badly damaged, but under the Republic of the Sphere Hsien recovered; a large part of this recovery was thanks to the efforts of the rebuilt Montong Consortium. By 3130 the Montong Consortium had established corporate headquarters in both the planetary capital and in Zhi-Chang on the northern Zhoulin coast, site of the main planetary spaceport.
- Second FedCom RCT
- Montong Musketeers (2 companies) 
- Gael's Grinders (1 company) 
- Dendeez Guards Green (1 conventional regiment) 
- Hsien Hotheads
- - At this point in time the 4th is operating at 85% of full strength, with 95% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- - At this point in time the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers operating at 60% of full strength, with 75% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 127, "Hsien World Profile"
- Objectives: Capellan Confederation, p. 28, "Planetary Data"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation After Age of War ]"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 21, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Map of the Tall Trees Union depicted along with Free Worlds League map as of 
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game, p. 119
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 75, "Invaders At Hsien"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 78-79, "New Year, New Wave"
- 20 Year Update, p. 24, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 18, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Chaos March, p. 41
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 65, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployment"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 15, "McCarron's Armored Cavalry Regimental Status"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 16, "Citizen's Honored Regimental Status"
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Report: CCAF
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Free Worlds League and bordering states showing the worlds of the Tall Trees Union as of 3139
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Capellan Confederation