|Time period:||2367 - present|
|Controlled systems:||ca. 217|
|Military:||Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF)|
- 1 Fact Sheet
- 2 Politics
- 3 History
- 4 Military
- 5 Manufacturing Centers
- 6 Religion and Philosophy
- 7 Culture
- 8 Military and Civilian Decorations
- 9 Era Maps Gallery
- 10 Historical Maps
- 11 See Also
- 12 References
- 13 Bibliography
- Fact Sheet: Capellan Confederation
- Founding Year: 2367
- Capital (City, World): Zi-jin Cheng (Forbidden City), Sian
- National Symbol: A green arm raising a green dao sword, against a green triangle, edged in gold.
- Location (Terra relative): Rimward
- Total (Inhabited) Systems: 166
- Estimated Population (3130): 228,280,000,000
- Government: Dictatorship (Chinese feudal stylings)
- Ruler: Chancellor Daoshen (Centrella-) Liao
- Dominant Language(s): Chinese (Mandarin, official), Chinese (Cantonese), Russian, English, Hindi
- Dominant Religion(s): Buddhism, Taoism, Hindu
- Unit of Currency: Yuan (1 yuan = 0.56 C-Bills/ 1.72 C-Bills (3145))
The Capellan Confederation started out as a collection of states united for common defense and well-being, but over hundreds of years, through the influences of certain schools of philosophy and the leadership of House Liao, it has evolved to become an autocratic state with a controlled economy. Nearly all the power in the Capellan Confederation is actually held by the Chancellor who is among the most important rulers in the Inner Sphere. Technically, the Chancellor is elected by the Prefectorate, but in practice, it is little more than a rubber stamp; only two Chancellors in history have not been members of the Liao family. Officially a law-making body, the Prefectorate is made up of the six leaders of the Capellan member-states, which generally includes the current Chancellor. Below the Prefectorate is the House of Scions, a gathering of the Capellan nobility.
As far as organization is concerned, the Capellan Confederation is divided into Commonalities and Prefectures. Commonalities are large districts which originally consisted of the signatory-states forming the Confederation. Hundreds of years have seen series of redistricting, so that currently they consist of Sian, Capella, Victoria, St. Ives, and Liao Commonalities. Prefectures, on the other hand, are small collections of planets within a commonality, each ruled by an appointed administrator.
The military of the Capellan Confederation is known as the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF). The CCAF is unique in that it places more power in the hands of the commander at the regiment level and less at higher levels than do most other militaries. Capellan units are often named after their commander; for example the first regiment of the Victoria Commonality Rangers is known as Kingston's Rangers. The CCAF is also famous for its use of Military Orders. Military Orders are collections of warriors organized on allegiance to a particular set of principles.
The Capella War College is the most prestigious of all the academies in the Capellan Confederation. The War College is the source of many of the most important leaders of the CCAF. Historically, the Holdfast Guard and Capellan Hussars have been given "first pick" among graduates.
The Liao Conservatory of Military Arts was formed in 3058 in part to ameliorate the gap caused by the loss of several academies during the Fourth Succession War. It is famous for its heavy influence on meditation and intellectual pursuits.
The Sarna Martial Academy (SMA) was an important part of the Capellan Confederation's training program. During the Fourth Succession War, the world of Sarna was conquered by the Federated Suns and was briefly integrated into the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth. After the collapse of authority in the Sarna March and the re-emergence of the Sarna Supremacy, the academy opened its doors to all and became known as an academy for mercenaries. The academy is still independent and is considered the least prestigious of the major Capellan military academies.
A list of some Capellan major manufacturing companies.
- Aldis Industries
- Bergan Industries
- Ceres Metals Industries
- Earthwerks Incorporated
- Hellespont Industrials
- Hellespont 'Mech Works
- HildCo Interplanetary
- Mujika Aerospace Technologies
- Quickscell Company
- Saroyan Special Production
- Shengli Arms
- StarCorps Industries
- Tengo Aerospace
Religion and Philosophy
The Capellan Confederation, more than any other state in the Inner Sphere, is indifferent to all forms of organized religion. Although a wide segment of the Capellan Confederation, especially the worlds near Terra, still practice organized religion, most of the population is either agnostic or adheres to the state-sponsored atheism of the Capellan government.
Religion does not play a large part in the day to day lives of the inhabitants of the Capellan Confederation. Although the Confederation allows freedom of religion, the state heavily promotes a trio of uniquely Capellan philosophies, the Korvin Doctrine, the Sarna Mandate and the Lorix Order.
The Korvin Doctrine is derived from the collected writings of early Terran space explorer Alana Korvin DeVall. In her writings, Korvin states that mankind's inherent fragility can only be overcome through unity, and that in order for mankind to survive and thrive, individuals must work together for the good of the Greater Humanity, and learn to identify with their collective community. It also stresses the need for strong central leadership to bind together millions of people dwelling on planets orbiting divergent star systems, lest humanity collapse into weaker, fratricidal factions.
The Sarna Mandate comes to the Confederation from the founding principles of one of its founding states, the Sarna Supremacy. The Mandate stresses that only the most talented political, military, & scientific minds are qualified for leadership, and that those who do not originate with that elite group of individuals are not competent enough to decide the fate of others. Furthermore, by virtue of their capability, these individuals are justified in taking whatever actions are deemed necessary for the continued survival of a given population, up to and including what some would deem ruthless acts or the periodic restructuring of society. In many citations of the Sarna Mandate, the reverse is also applied: If a leader is found to be utterly incompetent, then they are considered to have lost the right to rule and should be removed or deposed.
The Lorix Order was developed by CCAF Major Kalvar Lorix during a long convalescence in 2672. It stresses that the citizen has the right to expect the highest level of professionalism and performance from the military that defends it, and to that end, the military, particularly MechWarriors, owe to the populace a life of endless training and campaigning. Warfare is a virtue, because even offensive operations contribute to the good of society by providing experience to society's defenders. Once a MechWarrior has reached the pinnacle of his craft, he has become a valuable asset of the state, and no-one has the right to deprive him of his life save other MechWarriors, and conversely, the MechWarrior in certain circumstances has the right to exact personal retribution against those who transgress against him. To a soldier, the highest ideal must ever be loyalty, to the people, to the state, and to the head of state whom is his commander in chief.
Unlike the other Successor States of the Inner Sphere, where individuals are born with citizenship, in the Confederation, citizenship is a benefit to be earned. All minors in the Capellan Confederation are technically wards of the state under the provisional supervision of their parents. During this time, they receive a state sponsored education and are encouraged to participate in the betterment of their communities. Upon reaching maturity, each Capellan child is evaluated to determine if they have proven their commitment to the state by participating in their community, whether through outreach work, artistic work of cultural value, or civic participation. Those who are found willing to provide service to the state are granted citizenship. Those who have not are given a grace period of two years after which they will have a second evaluation. Failure to earn citizenship after one's second evaluation relegates an individual to the class of non-citizens referred to as servitors. The life of a servitor is harsh, because a servitor has no legal rights within the Confederation. Servitorship, however, is not a lifetime sentence, as citizenship can still be earned as a servitor, although the task becomes significantly harder. Likewise, neither citizenship nor servitorship is inheritable, with all Capellan children receiving the same education and facing the same requirements to earn citizenship.
Capellan citizens are expected to continue providing services to their community throughout their lifetime, and the state makes a point of continuing to promote and reward those who provide selfless service to the state. All Capellan citizens are guaranteed free healthcare & education for life, in addition to other minor benefits. The result is a Capellan citizenry who is far more loyal and civic-minded than the average Inner Sphere inhabitant, one who sees his citizenship as a reward for hard work and not a right.
Military and Civilian Decorations
These are awards given for various duties and actions accomplished by individuals in service of Confederation.
- Liao Sunburst of Gallantry - Award for heroism under-fire. Awarded to an individual serving Capallen Confederation Armed Forces.
- Liao Grand Cordon of Merit - Award to those whom performed in defense of the state for any organization of the CCAF.
- Liao Cluster of Conspicuous Heroism - Generally a MechWarrior award for individuals wounded while risking their lives to save their fellow comrades. It is sometimes awarded to non-MechWarriers whom are wounded under fire.
- Baton of Illustrious Service - It is a award which is individually given to those whom perform special task, above and beyond the call of duty. These personally given to the recipient by the Chancellor. The award is a 1/3rd of meter long, carved of ivory. Its is carved with a braided ribbon pattern, with House Liao crest engraved into it with colors of coral, onyx, and malachite bands on of its ends.
- Citation for Meritorious House Service - Award for individuals who's actions are shining examples for others to emulate. This award is usually presented by a local Capellan Diem.
- Civil Seal of Valor and Sacrifice - Award presented by the Chancellor to civilian individuals whom in times of war, directly aided Capellan armed forces at a high risk or personal loss.
- Civil Seal of Valor and Sacrifice - Honorary society created to reward individual civilians whom have done unique self-sacrifice for the state.
Era Maps Gallery
Capellan Confederation after the Reunification War in 2596
Duchy of Liao
after Reunification War
Star League Era
after First Succession War
after Second Succession War
after Third Succession War
after Fourth Succession War
after War of 3039
beforce Clan Invasion
after Clan Invasion
after Operation Guerrero
during Second Star League
creation of the Republic of the Sphere
before Gray Monday
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone"
- Handbook: House Liao, pp. 15-16, "Caroline's Words"
- Era Report: 3145, p.194, "Currency Conversion Table"
- Strategic Operations, p. 15
- Tactical Operations
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 101, "List of Military Decorations & Civilian Decorations"
- Warrior: Coupé, p. 109: Justin Xiang (Allard) is rewarded the Baton for his daring raid on the Davion world of Bethel
- 20-Year Update
- Binding Force
- Blood Legacy
- Bred for War
- By Temptations and By War
- Dagger Point
- Dawn of the Jihad
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: Update
- Fortress Republic
- Ghost War
- Grave Covenant
- Highlander Gambit
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072
- The Killing Fields
- Lethal Heritage
- Lost Destiny
- Prince of Havoc
- Principles of Desolation
- Strategic Operations
- Sword of Sedition
- Tactical Operations
- Threads of Ambition
- Warrior: Coupé
- Warrior: En Garde
- Warrior: Riposte