Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Genoa neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||39.03 : -59.76[e]|
- 1 Genoa
- 2 Genoa IV
| Jump point
|Moons||1 (Sant'Andrea di Ponticello)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||25°C (Arctic)|
|Highest native life||Amphibians|
|Ruler|| Ulysses Mason (Governor)|
Otto Gryzick (Planetary Legate)
Genoa IV - more commonly known simply as Genoa - is the fourth planet in the system and has a single moon named Sant'Andrea di Ponticello.
Genoa was settled by Italian colonists in 2175 and was the 115th colony to be established. Although the colonists set out to reach a lush, verdant world a near miss by a rogue planet changed Genoa's orbit and changed the biosphere into a vast desert broken up by mountain ranges. Facing such a harsh environment on the surface the colonists moved their settlements underground. There they found vast underground seas full of life, minerals, metal ores, and precious stones. As a result of these exportable commodities, Genoa became a minor economic powerhouse and joined the Liao Protectorate in 2315. Genoa had been a contemporary of Liao while Liao was still known as Cynthiana, and by 2202 Genoa had been importing considerable quantities of sheep, thoroughbred horses and cattle from Liao.
While Genoa joined the Capellan Confederation when the Duchy of Liao merged with a number of other nations and a host of independent worlds, the Terran Hegemony would take control of the system several years later and Genoa continued to thrive. After the fall of the Star League the Capellan Confederation took over the world. For the next two centuries the Confederation took advantage of Genoa's exports. During the Fourth Succession War, however, Genoa was assaulted by the Thirty-third Avalon Hussars and the Blue Star Irregulars in the second wave. The Genoan militia was quickly outclassed by the front line AFFS forces and surrendered.
Like many other worlds, Genoa was rocked by the instability that resulted after Operation Guerrero. In August 3068 the world was "invited" to become part of the Word of Blake Protectorate by the 35th Division. The Genoans resisted, forcing the Word to deploy more forces, including units armed with tactical nuclear weapons. The use of these weapons only hardened the Genoan's resolve however and they not only assisted the 1st St. Ives Lancers when they raided the Word of Blake forces, but continued to resist the Blakist troops until they were liberated. Genoa wasn't initially liberated by coalition forces during Operation SCOUR, but rather by Capellan forces acting independently of the coalition. The Capellan forces successfully freed Genoa on the 30th of January 3077. However, on the 15th of April the Genoa Protectorate Militia pushed the Capellan forces back off Genoa. It wouldn't be until the 21st of October that Genoa was finally freed, this time by allied coalition troops, who forced the surviving Word of Blake forces to retreat to Terra.
In the closing stages of the Jihad, a new movement named "Students For Stone" became a major political movement on Genoa. Established in 3078 at the Cella City Polytechnic by two students, Michael Peterson and Celia Stevens, Students for Stone was an organization of supporters for Devlin Stone and his proposed reforms of the worlds in the former Word of Blake Protectorate. The Students for Stone movement played a large part in influencing the population of Genoa in favor of Devlin Stone and his reforms; by the time Melissa Allard-Liao came to speak at a rally organized at the polytechnic amphitheater on the 19th of November 3079, Students for Stone was credit for being a significant factor in the approval rate for Devlin Stone in local polls (seventy percent positive) and for the sixty-seven percent positive response to the idea of Genoa joining a new state founded by Devlin Stone.
The Dark Age
Cella City Polytechnic was again the birthplace of a political movement during the Dark Age; prior to Gray Monday it became the heart of the Clutch of the Confederacy, a political group formed by students but headed by the somewhat eccentric literature professor Shi Qiang Guo, known for dressing in Twenty-third Century Neo-Ming fashion. The Clutch advocated for the return of Republic systems to the Confederation, preferably via peaceful protest. While Genoa remained a staunch supporter of Devlin Stone, the Republic was surprised by the relatively rapid formation of a strong popular uprising against the Republic among the population in mid-3134, beginning with terrorist actions in early July. Attempts to restore order were hampered by a general unwillingness among the planetary militia forces to kill their fellow citizens, and the assassination of the Planetary Legate in August caused further problems for the Republican government. Soon after, Genoa was invaded by the Capellan Confederation, which had launched a large-scale invasion of the Republic Prefectures bordering the Confederation.
- 2175 - Terran Alliance (see notes)
- 2202 - Terran Alliance 
- 2271 - Inhabited world
- 2315 - Duchy of Liao 
- 2366 - Duchy of Liao 
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2772 - Terran Hegemony (from September)
- 2784 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2785 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2786 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth }
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from September)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
Genoa was a lush, rich world when first discovered, but the chance encounter with a rogue planetoid altered its orbit enough to cause mass extinctions on the surface, leaving it barren, dry, and barely habitable. In contrast with the wastelands on the surface, the underground lakes on Genoa are still rich with life. Genoa's northern continent is named Rivera, and the southern continent is named Genova. Rivera possesses rich veins of metal ore, while Genova has large deposits of high-grade gemstones.
- Columbus: the planetary capital city, located on Rivera.
Although the publication Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130) states that Genoa was settled in 2300 in contrast with other publications, this was confirmed to be an error by one of the BattleTech Line Developers:
|“|| Genoa was settled in 2175, as the 115th colony.
With regards, Øystein
|— Øystein Tvedten, BattleTech Line Developer, 20 Feb 2012|
Although the publication Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents states that the 35th Division (Word of Blake) attacked Genoa and Liberty in August 3069, which contradicts the Jihad timeline given in Jihad Hot Spots: 3072 and Jihad: Final Reckoning. It was confirmed by one of the BattleTech Line Developers that Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents is in error.
Blake Documents is in error; the assaults took place in 3068.
- Herbert Beas
|— Herbert Beas, BattleTech Line developer, 11 Jun 2012|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 101, "Genoa World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 8, "New Beginnings"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding -  ap"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 32
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 96
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 18
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 41
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 57, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 14, "Genoans For Stone!"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 22, "Other Groups"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 9, "Important Military Actions of 3134"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 9A, "3134: Breaking Point"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p.vii, "Inner Sphere" -  Map
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 118, "Digesting The Hegemony"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere-  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor/Clans Deployment Map - 9August 30790"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii , "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 32, "Other Second-Wave Actions"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 137, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1