Northwind neighbouring systems
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Orbital view of Northwind
| Jump point
|Moons||2 (Dublin and Glasgow)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Thin (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Reptiles|
|Ruler|| Daniel Campbell (Governor)|
Finnegan Cochrane (Planetary Legate)
Northwind is composed of three continents: New Lanark, Kearny, and Halidon. All three continents have roughly the same level of development.
New Lanark is the largest landmass, the location of the capital city of Tara and Northwind Military Academy. Each of those locales is situated near the Tilman River. Tara, formerly Cromarty City, is home for over two million inhabitants in 3067. The Castle, a Star League-era fort that serves as the command center for the Northwind Highlanders, is also located within Tara. The planetary capital's architecture is inspired by pre-spaceflight Scotland, with cobblestone streets and bountiful taverns. Situated within the city is Peace Park, so dedicated by the First Lord of the Star League in 2657. Tara is serviced by Kohler Spaceport.
Kearny, the second largest continent, is home to the world's second most populous city of the same name.
Halidon is the smallest continent on Northwind. It is home to the aerospace annex of NMA. The planet's secondary spaceport services Halifax City.
Northwind was purchased by Clan Stuart during the Exodus and named for the Clan's old home in Scotland. The Stuarts were joined by the Highlanders, the last vestiges of Scotland's independent military. To prove their worth, the Highlanders founded Kearny, a mining town.
In 2362 the Clan Elders that ruled Northwind elected to raise a standing army, the Northwind Highlanders. The Highlanders became an elite mercenary unit. Because of this, many aspiring mercenaries traveled to Northwind to learn the trade and employers frequented the planet to hire the Highlanders, creating an informal hiring hall.
Northwind was a part of the Terran Hegemony. After the fall of the Star League, the world was fought over by the Successor States. The Highlander regiments became a mercenary unit in service to the Capellan Confederation, though some regiments were able to continue to garrison Northwind.
Northwind was conquered by the Federated Suns during the Second Succession War. In 2841, House Davion sent an invasion force that overwhelmed the defending Stuarts Highlanders and Third Kearny Highlanders. The Highlander regiments fought to the last, but it was not enough.
During the Fourth Succession War, the Federated Suns convinced the Northwind Highlanders to leave the service of the Capellan Confederation in exchange for garrisoning Northwind. The Northwind Agreement was signed in December 3028 and the Highlanders abandoned their positions along the Capellan-Suns border and returned to their ancestral homeworld. They arrived on 12 January 3029 and quickly dispatched a Combine military presence that was in-system that included the Fifth Sword of Light and the Thirty-Sixth Dieron Regulars.
Northwind remained peaceful until 3057. In conjunction with Operation Guerrero and the Capellan offensive against the Federated Commonwealth, Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao dispatched Loren Jaffray to offer to recognize the independence of Northwind. Jaffray, a Death Commando and a descendant of a former Highlander who remained with the CCAF, was on a covert operation to destroy the Highlanders, or at least deprive the Federated Commonwealth of their services. Jaffray's mission was helped by the Highlanders' increasing dissatisfaction with the AFFC. MacLeod's Regiment was the only Highlander unit on world when Jaffray made his offer. The regiment was split, sparking a civil war within it. The Third Royal Guards were called in to help the Commonwealth supporters, but the pro-independence faction was able to hold out until Stirling's Fusiliers returned to help. The combined Highlander force destroyed the Third Royals. Northwind had achieved independence and became a bastion of stability in the Chaos March.
In 3066, the Northwind Highlanders joined Jaime Wolf's Allied Mercenary Command, putting them in direct opposition to Word of Blake and the expanding Word of Blake Protectorate. In September 3067, four Clan elders died under mysterious circumstances. The Highlanders who were away from Northwind immediately broke their contracts to return home to vote on new leaders. In December 3067, Word of Blake naval forces jumped into the Northwind system as part of their Jihad. Blakist naval assets began a blockade while ground assets seized the HPG station. The HPG station was taken offline on the 9th of November 3068 at the same time that rumors of an orbital bombardment of the planet's surface began to circulate.
The Word of Blake ceased to exert any control over Northwind in December 3077, when liberation forces from the allied coalition arrived to find that the Northwind population had evidently been the victims of an elaborate, long-term deception; the population believed that the Word of Blake had placed their world under an impenetrable blockade, a deception sustained through the Word's destruction of all of Northwind's satellite comms net, aerospace assets and the planetary HPG. Instead of a world nuked from orbit like Outreach, the coalition forces instead found no Word presence in the system.
When the Jihad ended, Northwind joined Devlin Stone's Republic of the Sphere. However, by the end of December 3079 Northwind was one of more than twenty planets to have suffered an outbreak of the Redburn Virus, and one of eight to suffer from an infection rate of more than 150 out of every 100,000 people, as well as a mortality rate of more than 30 per 100,000 from the virus.
 Planetary Garrison
- 2nd Kearny Highlanders
- - At this point in time, the 1st Kearny was at 50% of full strength, with 73% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
 Manufacturing Center
 Owner History
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 3025 - Federated Suns
- 3030 - Federated Suns
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3057 - Independent World
- 3062 - Independent World
- 3067 - Independent World
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
 Nearby Systems
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Lockdale||11.62||New Stevens||14.97||Epsilon Indi||17.58||Fomalhaut||21.47||Small World||21.71|
|Deneb Algedi||35.93||Helen||36.26||New Home||36.710||Styx||36.712||Terra||37.01|
|Acamar||41.09||Sirius||41.65||Altair||41.93||Terra Firma||42.39||Rigil Kentarus||42.40|
|Athenry||50.42||Hean||52.20||New Earth||52.48||Telos IV||52.99||Nopah||53.76|
|Brownsville||54.63||Killbourn||55.24||Pike IV||56.09||Ozawa||56.31||Carver V||57.39|
House Liao (The Capellan Confederation) states on page 98 that the Capellan 4th Tau Ceti Rangers fought against Draconis Combine forces in defense of Northwind during the late 29th century. Since it has subsequently been established (in Northwind Highlanders and Handbook: House Davion) that Northwind fell to the Federated Suns in 2841 and that House Liao never made any attempt to reclaim the planet, it is safe to assume this has been retconned.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 57, "Northwind"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 44, "Northwind"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 17
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 6, "Ancient Origins"
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 7, "A New Beginning"
- ↑ Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 16, "Northwind"
- ↑ Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 16, "Northwind: Off the Beaten Path"
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 8, "Troubled Times"
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 8, "The Darkest Hour"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 60
- ↑ NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 40, "Overview"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 79, "Timeline: Fourth Succession War through the Clan Invasion"
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 9, "Homecoming" & p. 24, "Situation"
- ↑ Northwind Highlanders, p. 10, "Independence At Last"
- ↑ Highlander Gambit
- ↑ Dawn of the Jihad & Blake Ascending, p. 24
- ↑ Dawn of the Jihad & Blake Ascending, p. 28, "War Strikes Mercenaries!"
- ↑ Dawn of the Jihad & Blake Ascending, pp. 29-30, "Northwind Highlanders Returning Home"
- ↑ Dawn of the Jihad & Blake Ascending, p. 33, "Northwind Blockade"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, pp. 11-12 & Blake Ascending, pp. 171-172, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, pp. 32-33, & Blake Ascending, pp. 192-193, "Northwind Silenced"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 11, "Timeline of the Jihad
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 56, "The Mysterious Case of Northwind"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 13, "Plagued By Blake"
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 133, "Unit Deployment Table"
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 20 Year Update, p. 19, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- ↑ Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 70, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 186, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- 20 Year Update
- Blake Ascending
- Chaos March (sourcebook)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Dawn of the Jihad
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: 3085
- Handbook: House Davion
- Highlander Gambit
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Northwind Highlanders
- Warrior: Riposte
- Warrior: Coupé