Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Asuncion neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||5.17 : -101.64[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Planetary History
- 5 Military Deployment
- 6 Geography
- 7 Industrial Centers
- 8 Nearby Systems
- 9 References
- 10 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- Ca. 2280-2299 - Capellan Hegemony 
- Ca. 2350 - Disputed world (Sarna Supremacy/Free Worlds League) 
- 2366 - Independent World within the Capellan Zone 
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2571 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2596 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2750 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2765 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2786 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- Ca. 2830-2839 - Free Worlds League 
- 2840 - Capellan Confederation 
- Ca. 2847 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3040 - Free Worlds League 
- 3050 - Free Worlds League 
- 3052 - Free Worlds League 
- 3054 - Free Worlds League 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3059 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3070 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3077 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Free Worlds League 
Asuncion was one of a number of client states that joined the Capellan Hegemony in the 2280s and 2290s, and along with Zion constituted one of the Capellan Hegemony worlds closest to Terra. Either as a result of the war between the Capellan Hegemony and the Sarna Supremacy or other events after the war, the Capellan Hegemony or it's successor state, the Capellan Commonality, lost control of the Asuncion system; by the 2350s, the Sarna Supremacy and the Free Worlds League were contesting ownership of the system, and by 2366 Asuncion was an independent system within the Capellan Zone.
Second Succession War
During the Second Succession War Asuncion served as a bastion in the Free Worlds League defense against the Capellan Confederation, even during the dire years of the ComStar War; however, in the summer of 2840 the Capellans finally conquered Asuncion as the Free Worlds League Military desperately tried to mount a defense of the key industrial world of Irian in the face of Lyran and Capellan offensives that had begun during the interdiction and were continuing relentlessly afterwards. The FWLM managed to launch counteroffensives beginning with the defense of Irian in The FWLM managed to launch counteroffensives beginning with the defense of Irian, and by 2847 had managed to recapture a number of key worlds including Asuncion, although many worlds remained in enemy hands.
In 3070 the Sixth Orloff Grenadiers had fallen back from an attack into Lyran Alliance space to station Asuncion when they found themselves under attack by the mercenary unit Barrett's Fusiliers. The Fusiliers had been stationed on the nearby world of Zion when the other major unit on the planet, the Third Free Worlds Guards lifted off Zion without orders to launch an attack into Capellan space. As the League dissolved into chaos, the Fusiliers were told by the planetary government on Zion that as a temporary measure, the Zion government would be assuming control of their contract, and ordered the Fusiliers to secure Asuncion and put down a rebellion on that planet.
The Fusiliers were surprised by the prescence of the Sixth on Asuncion, announced when the Sixth's air wing intercepted the Fusiliers soon after their arrival at a local pirate point. The Fusiliers air forces punched through the Sixth's fighter screen, and the mercenaries landed and deployed around the Plains of Schakondra, southwest of the planetary capital and north of the Forest of Kendra. This strength of this cautious approach was bouyed by the Fusiliers deploying a 'Mech battalion and significant artillery assets within the Forest. Colonel Loge soon met the Fusiliers in a fierce combat action, despite coming under a significant artillery barrage from the mercenaries hidden artillery assets, followed by bombardment from heavy bombers when Loge ordered the Sixth to charge through the artillery barrage to engage the Fusiliers.
The mercenaries charged in turn, with two mercenary 'Mech battalions attempting to push the Sixth back against the edge of the Forest and thereby limit their mobility and ability to maneuvre; the Fusiliers' armored cavalry circled the Sixth to attack the Sixth's secondary forces, while the Fusiliers third battalion emerged from the Forest and completed the encirclement of the Sixth. With mounting casualties and her support cut off, Colonel Loge called for a cease fire; Colonel Barrett allowed the surviving personnel from the Sixth to leave Asuncion, but claimed all of their equipment, effectively destroying the Sixth as a combat formation. The Fusiliers then imposed martial law on Asuncion in the name of the Zion government and rebuilt using the seized equipment while waiting for new elections to be held on the world.
During the Jihad Asuncion was liberated by the Free Worlds League-based task group led by Duchess Alys Rousset-Marik. The Coalition forces invaded on January 3, 3078 as a part of Operation SCOUR. The defenders were disorganized and after a week of fighting Asuncion was free, having posed little challenge for Group IV of the Free Worlds League task force.
- Seventh "Asuncion" Lancers
- Seventh "Asuncion" Lancers
- Sixth Orloff Grenadiers (destroyed in 3070)
- Barrett's Fusiliers (replaced the 6th Orloff Grenadiers)
- - At this point in time, the IV Hastati was at 65% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Notable geographical features on Asuncion include the Plains of Schakondra and the Forest of Kendra.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Phact||38.7||Wazan||39.1||Second Chance||39.7||Old Kentucky||40.2|
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 14, "Seeds of Destruction"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 23, "Friends And Other Enemies"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding, 2366"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War "
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 34, "Driven To The Brink"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 35, "Recovery and Stalemate"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Objective Raids, p. 39, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero "
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 113, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 29, "Barrett's Fusiliers"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 78, "New Year, New Wave"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 253, "SLDF - Capellan Confederation Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 12, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 136, "First Succession War Deployment Table - CCAF"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 186, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Free Worlds League"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update
- Objective Raids