Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Second Chance neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-22.76 : -129.78[e]|
- 2271 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2765 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2786 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2787 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3040 - Free Worlds League 
- 3052 - Free Worlds League 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3062 - Free Worlds League 
- 3130 - Oriente Protectorate 
First Succession War
Captain-General Kenyon Marik launched a mass invasion of the Capellan and Sarna Commonalities of the Capellan Confederation in February 2787, using ten assorted regiments of the Marik Militia, almost four times as many conventional and aerospace groups, and the bulk of the Free Worlds League Navy Second Fleet. The first wave of attacks hit Harsefeld, Ramen II, Second Chance and Vanra; protected by little more than paramilitary forces and planetary militias, both Harsefeld and Ramen II fell quickly, despite calling for assistance from the more substantial garrisons at Second Chance and Vanra.
The first battle for Second Chance took place in space; the FWLM task for arrived at the nadir jump point, with the ground forces - led by the Nineteenth, Twentieth and Thirty-eighth Marik Militia regiments - being escorted by a substantial naval group that included the Atreus-class battleship FWLS Sorunda and the League-class destroyers FWLS Ospina and FWLS Otavalo, two squadrons of attack DropShips and three wings of aerospace fighters. In contrast with the other three systems hit in the opening wave, there was a substantial CCAF naval presence in the Second Chance system, as part of an ongoing patrol of the border. The Capellan naval presence was smaller than that of the FWLM task force, consisting of the Du Shi Wang-class battleship CCS Mica Liao and the Soyal-class heavy cruiser CCS Solstice, but both ships were at the zenith jump point when the FWLM task force arrived, and immediately began plotting an intercept jump.
The two Capellan WarShips arrived just as the League task force was starting to burn for the planet, and announced their presence with a long-range mass driver shot from the Solstice that destroyed the Opina in a single hit. The League forces came about and engaged, with the Otavalo and a squadron of attack DropShips targeting the Solstice as a priority, while the Mica Liao exchanged fire with the Sorunda. The Sorunda, more heavily armed than her opponent, raked the Mica Liao with fire before launching nuclear-armed fighters that scored at least two hits against the Mica Liao's already weakened armor, destroying the Capellan battleship. Heavily outgunned, the Solstice launched her own nuclear missiles, destroying a pair of DropShips - an Intruder-class attack DropShip and a Vengeance-class fighter carrier - before being crippled and then exploding under the weight of fire from the Otavalo, attack DropShips and fighter screens.
Having powered through the Capellan naval defenses, the League task force moved to deploy ground forces on Second Chance. The primary defensive unit on the ground was the Twentieth Liao Lancers; mustered originally to defend Raman II, the Lancers had been rotated to Second Chance in 2785 to fill the gap left by the Third Tikonov Lancers, who had been redeployed into former Terran Hegemony space. A new command with little combat experience, half of the Lancers were on exercises on Second Chance's northern continent when the FWLM task force appeared, and word of the swift destruction of the Capellan naval forces was a heavy blow to the Lancers' morale - and that of the planetary government, who had little faith in the Lancers.
The planetary government ordered the Lancers' support formations to deploy to Sevarias and Sweethaven, two major port cities; the support regiments were vehicle and infantry regiments raised locally, and the government planned to use them to cover the evacuation of high-level officials from the government and the major corporations present on the planet. The discovery that their attempts to rally to defend the planet were being blocked by the planetary government to cover their own evacuation was the last straw for many of the Lancers; by the time the League task force arrived in orbit, a third of the Lancers had already deserted. The League task force detected a number of DropShips warming up for liftoff at Sweethaven; working on the assumption that the DropShips represented a possible attack being launched, the captain of the Sorunda initiated a seven-minute orbital bombardment of the spaceport. The hellish firestorm destroyed four Union-class DropShips belonging to the Lancers, two armor companies and a regiment of infantry - and also killed both the planetary governor, Duke Maynard Stott, and the Security Minister, Haley Fernando, along with the majority of the planetary elite. When League General Matias Rosenkov called for Second Chance to surrender an hour later, Colonel Mila Palmer, commanding officer of the remaining Lancers and the senior military officer left on Second Chance, had little choice but to acquiesce.
- Twentieth Liao Lancers
- Second Oriente Hussars (from July 3039)
- - At this point in time the Valkyries were at 90% of full strength, with 60% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War, p. 53-54, "A Path to Sarna: The League-Confederation Front"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds, p. 114
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 15, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 136, "First Succession War Deployment Table - CCAF"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 140, "Free Worlds League Military"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"