- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3076)|
|Nickname||Mailed Fist In A Velvet Glove|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds League Military|
The Marik Militia had been the bedrock of the federal armed forces within the Free Worlds League since the inception of the League in the twenty-third century and was dedicated to serving and protecting the people of the League.
The Marik Militia was founded alongside the Free Worlds League itself and was the basis of the League's offensive and defensive military might. Although other federal forces have existed during the lifetime of the League, the Marik Militia was unique for being dedicated to serving and defending the people of the League, rather than serving the Captain-General, a distinction that separated the Militia from formations such as the Atrean Dragoons and Free Worlds Guards.
Star League Era
When the Star League issued the Council Edict of 2650, which limited the size of the military of each of the member-states, the Marik Militia numbered nineteen regiments in total. A number of these regiments were involved in the Marik Civil War between Captain-General Elise Marik and her brother, Oliver, and took far more of a battering than the various provincial forces involved in the conflict. When the Council Edict of 2650 was repealed the Marik Militia expanded rapidly, and between 2755 and 2765 the brigade grew to twenty-eight regiments in total; although by 2765 it had been thirty years since the end of the Civil War and the signing of the Treaty of Verona some of the Marik Militia regiments were still nursing grudges, although most of the units had managed to rebuild.
The Marik Militia remained a popular unit with both the commoners within the League and the peerage because of their public dedication to the people of the League, and the various regiments of the Militia often acted as training grounds for troops across the League. A significant number of the personnel serving in other more prestigious federal units and various provincial forces within the League had actually begun their careers in one of the Marik Militia regiments. Despite the relatively low performance ratings of the Militia because of the number of new enlistees and recently-graduated academy cadets within the various regiments the Marik Militia was considered to be one of the most stable and reliable formations within the Free Worlds League Military.
First Succession War
Having secured a number of worlds from the remains of the Terran Hegemony, Captain-General Kenyon Marik deployed ten regiments from the Marik Militia to launch an invasion of the Capellan Confederation; their goal was to "clear a route ten parsecs wide to Sarna." Both Corey and Wazan fell quickly to the Marik Militia forces, with few of the Capellan garrisons offering much resistance.
Chancellor Barbara Liao was unwilling to cede control of the worlds easily, however; she launched a counterattack against the world of New Delos, which was a Free Worlds League Military staging area, and put blockades in place over both the Corey and Wazan systems, as well as ordering an attack on Calloway VI in 2780. These efforts were despite Kenyon Marik ordering his forces to conduct attacks that saw the worlds of Hall, Ingersoll, New Canton and Outreach firebombed in retaliation for the New Delos attack and in an effort to disrupt the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces efforts to send reinforcements to Corey and Wazan.
The Capellan siege of both Corey and Wazan ended when FWLM forces in the Calloway system detected and ambushed the Capellan forces attempting to launch their attack, leading to several years where the war went almost completely in favor of House Marik. Originally forty regiments strong at the start of the First Succession War, by the end of the war eight regiments of the Marik Militia had been destroyed: the Fourth, Seventh, Thirteenth, Seventeenth, Twenty-first, Twenty-third, Twenty-ninth and Thirty-fourth Marik Militia regiments were all lost. Having begun the First Succession War at full strength, none of the surviving regiments could muster as much as two-thirds strength by the end of the war, and some of the Militias were down to just one quarter strength. Despite having thirty-two Militias still on the list of active commands, the total combat strength of the Marik Militia was approximately thirteen and a half regiments.
Third Succession War
In 2913 three regiments of the Marik Militia landed on Loric in the Lyran Commonwealth; the Militia was supported by a large contingent of aerospace fighters and DropShips and inflicted heavy damage on the defending Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces units, only retreating when reinforcements from the Donegal Guards arrived. The attack was perhaps the most successful strike made against the Lyran Commonwealth during the reign of Captain-General Elisabeth Marik.
Forming such a large part of the FWLM, the Militia played a significant role in the League's military actions in the unceasing conflict of the Succession Wars, but even with the addition of two new Militia units in 2980, attrition had reduced their number down to fifteen regiments by 3025. After the rise of Thomas Marik to the Captain-Generalcy, the Marik Militia benefited from new resources to rebuild and expand their numbers. Unfortunately Militia also began to serve as unofficial cadre units for the modernized FWLM, with most graduates of the League's military academies undertaking their first tour of duty in a Militia unit before the best officers and troops were poached by more prestigious brigades. While a few regiments had success in convincing the LCCC to retain and build on their expertise, the Militia as a whole had the highest concentration of green troops in Thomas's FWLM.  
Still the bulwark of the League's military, the Marik Militia bore the brunt of FLWM's fighting in the Jihad. Despite seeing near-continuous action and in some cases suffering extremely heavy combat damage, just as the nation which it defended shattered and fragmented, the bulk of the Militia's losses were due to the divided loyalties of its regiments to provinces, other League units, various leaders and power brokers. 
Units of the Marik Militia
- First Marik Militia
- Second Marik Militia
- Third Marik Militia (Dishonorably disbanded after supporting Anton's Revolt)
- Fourth Marik Militia
- Fifth Marik Militia
- Sixth Marik Militia
- Seventh Marik Militia
- Eighth Marik Militia - Destroyed on Wisconsin in 2838 
- Ninth Marik Militia
- Tenth Marik Militia
- Eleventh Marik Militia
- Twelfth Marik Militia
- Thirteenth Marik Militia
- Fourteenth Marik Militia
- Fifteenth Marik Militia
- Sixteenth Marik Militia
- Seventeenth Marik Militia
- Eighteenth Marik Militia
- Nineteenth Marik Militia
- Twentieth Marik Militia (Gifted to Republic of the Sphere)
- Twenty-first Marik Militia
- Twenty-second Marik Militia
- Twenty-third Marik Militia
- Twenty-fourth Marik Militia
- Twenty-fifth Marik Militia
- Twenty-sixth Marik Militia
- Twenty-seventh Marik Militia
- Twenty-eighth Marik Militia
- Twenty-ninth Marik Militia
- Thirtieth Marik Militia
- Thirty-first Marik Militia
- Thirty-second Marik Militia
- Thirty-third Marik Militia (featured in The Race Is Not To The Swift)
- Thirty-fourth Marik Militia
- Thirty-fifth Marik Militia
- Thirty-sixth Marik Militia
- Thirty-seventh Marik Militia
- Thirty-eighth Marik Militia
- Thirty-ninth Marik Militia
- Fortieth Marik Militia
Colors and Unit Insignia
The Marik Militia's parade colors are purple, with highlights in red on the right side, and in blue on the left. Individual units may vary from this color scheme.
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 8. Founding of Marik Commonwealth is assumed to be formation date of Marik Militia.
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Marik Militia"
- House Marik, p. 90 "Marik Militia"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 28, "The Collapse of Terra"
- First Succession War, p. 138, "Free Worlds League Military (FWLM)"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 39, "The Great Compromiser"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 53 "Marik Militia"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 148 "Marik Militia"
- Masters & Minions, p. 80 "The Sundered Arm: Key FWLM Military Commands"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 92 "The Capellan Military - BattleMech Regiments - Capellan Reserves - Justine's Grenadiers"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167