Free Worlds Guards
- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Free Worlds Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3059)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds League Military|
Long considered the premier units of the FWLM, the Free Worlds Guards jealously guarded that reputation following the creation of the Knights of the Inner Sphere. Created at the same time as the Free Worlds League, the Guards drew their forces from across the League.
The Guards have their roots in the ten conventional regiments which were authorized during the first session of Parliament in 2272, with the modern First Free Worlds Guards armor regiment formed in 2426, a few years before the League fielded its first BattleMechs. A key federal brigade, nominally the Guards were answerable only to Parliament and the Captain-General, but since Succession Wars and the enactment of Resolution 288, the Guards have answered exclusively to the Captain-General, even going so far to swear personal oath of loyalty to each successive Captain-General since 2804. 
At their peak immediately prior to the First Succession War, the Guards had six regiments active, but the ceaseless centuries of fighting during the Succession Wars have reduced their number to three active commands. Unlike some FWLM brigades, in an effort to maintain a strong sense of tradition the Free Worlds Guards rebuilt their units rather than create new ones. While the first post-Succession War attempt in 3032 ended in disaster and disgrace when the newly rebuilt Fourth Guards were shattered by the Natasha Kerensky led Black Widow Company, during the reign of Thomas Marik the Fifth was successfully reformed in 3064, but plans for the Sixth to enter service in 3070 were derailed by the Word of Blake Jihad.   
After the dissolution of the Free Worlds League, regiments of the Free Worlds Guards joined several different nations. Most ended up with former Free Worlds states, but some joined the Word of Blake and The Republic of the Sphere.
After the League reformed in 3139 all the former Free Worlds Guards regiments in service to the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey and the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth. Parliament also allocated funds to rebuild former Guards units and transfer former provincial forces to new Guard units. In addition, a few of the new Guards regiments were raised from the survivors of other League commands that had to be disbanded.
The commanding officer in 3059 was General Tamara Findlay. 
The equipment and the quality of the soldiers are only a step down from the Knights of the Inner Sphere. The 1st and 2nd Guards are combat units with the best material available, because the 3rd is the training cadre for the other units of the brigade. 
Units of the Free Worlds Guards
- First Free Worlds Guards - Joined the Army of Marik-Stewart Commonwealth.
- Second Free Worlds Guards - Joined the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey.
- Third Free Worlds Guards - Joined the Word of Blake, later the Regulan Hussars.
- Fourth Free Worlds Guards - Rebuilt and destroyed 3032. 
- Fifth Free Worlds Guards - Gifted to Republic of the Sphere
- Sixth Free Worlds Guards - Destroyed during the Succession Wars
- Seventh Free Worlds Guards - Disbanded in 2650
- Eighth Free Worlds Guards - Disbanded in 2650, reactivated during the Dark Age era
Colors and Unit Insignia
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 43, "Free Worlds Guards"
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 7
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 146 "Free Worlds Guards"
- Field Manual: 3085, pp. 81, 87, 89
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 102
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 81
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 89
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 87
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Circumventing Directive 30"