New Hessen neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||84.005 : -57.121[e]|
|Recharge time||170 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||High (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||42°C (Tropical)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3079|
|Ruler|| Albrecht von Hesse (2290)|
Lord Vikrot von Hesse (3025)
|Population|| 2,139,000,000 (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)|| B (3025) (Precentor Sirpa Tem)|
- ca. 2290-2299 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2358 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2366 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2368 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2571 - Capellan Confederation  
- 2596 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2750 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2765 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2786 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation  
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation  
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation  
- 3030 - Federated Suns  
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth  
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns  
- 3075 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns  
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3130 - Federated Suns 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
New Hessen orbits the system primary at a much greater range than Terra does Sol. This means that even though the star is hotter than Sol, the world should be much cooler than it is. Thanks to the thick atmosphere, however, New Hessen enjoys a tropical climate.
The colony of New Hessen was founded and named by a European emigré, a businessman named Albrecht von Hesse who purchased the land grant for the small planet from the Tikonov Grand Union and promptly named the world after himself before settling there and founding his own armaments factory. Von Hesse's plan for his world was as foresighted as it was cynical; in addition to selling armaments to the Tikonov Grand Union, the Capellan Hegemony and as far afield as those worlds being settled by the Davion clan, he protected his constant stream of revenue for times of interstellar peace by setting up a new enterprise on New Hessen. Von Hesse rented out areas of New Hessen - not for settlement, but rather to two or more governments who felt the need to settle a dispute by active warfare. The governments who were Von Hesse's clients paid to rent out land of a terrain and climate of their choice, for a small to medium sized engagement that would last for a specific period of time. Von Hesse offered more than just the land - he gave discounts to those wanting to engage in multiple-party, low-level combats, as well as package deals that included fact sheets on the various combat zones, discounts on volume sales of equipment, insurance, low-cost repair and recovery options, and the right for the highest bidder to choose the site of the battle. He also made it clear in his contracts that in the event of no clear victor by combat, he had the final right to arbitrate a final, humane solution by negotiation, limiting the destructiveness of the wars. Von Hesse was the first ruler of New Hessen, and by the time of his death, his gamble on the human propensity for animosity and warfare had made him very, very rich.
In 2358 Selek Tucas, a native of St. Andre, was propelled into the office of Prime Minister of the Capellan Commonality following the resignation of Julian Dux as a part of the political fallout from the continued lobbying and interference in Commonality elections from other nations and the invasion of several worlds within the Capellan Zone by the Federated Suns. One of Tucas' first acts was to negotiate a secret treaty with the Tikonov Grand Union, compensating the Grand Union for arbitrating in favour of the Sarna Supremacy when imposing an end to the Grand Union/Supremacy conflict that had begun in 2351. This Treaty was signed on New Hessen, which gave it's name to the treaty - the Hessen Conventions.
After Franco Liao declared the formation of the Capellan Confederation in 2367, many members of the established Grand Union nobility felt that Franco's Articles of Confederation would limit their privileges and perogatives which had been enjoyed since the early days of the Tikonov Union. The nobility - collectively referred to as the Sheng - sought to protect their position by creating private armies, collectively referred to as Noble Trained Bands, many of which were openly hostile to Franco and his government. The tension between the Sheng and Franco Liao came to a head in 2368, when troops raised by Baron TChigorin of New Hessen seized a government munitions depot.
TChigorin claimed that the depot had been seized to better protect it against anticipated Federated Suns attacks; Franco, knowing that TChigorin was one of his most vocal opponents, considered this to be an obvious ruse and responded by ordering selected troops from regiments not affiliated with the Grand Union onto New Hessen. These troops numbered some 3,000 men in total and were under the command of General Anthony LeFarge, and faced a Noble Trained Band of approximately 4,000 men under the command of Baron TChigorin himself. LeFarge publicly ordered TChigorin to disband his forces and surrender the depot, an order that TChigorin refused; LeFarge responded by surrounding the depot and setting fire to the savannah around the installation. The combination of raging fires and the threat of military force caused TChigorin's troops to break and run, with the majority of the fleeing troops running straight into the waiting guns of LaForge's troops. Many of the remainder including TChigorin himself perished in the fires, which LaForge's troops then successfully brought under control, saving the depot. The fate of TChigorin and his Band served as a warning to the other members of the Sheng, leading to the majority of the Noble Trained Bands being disbanded over the next three years, with the last three bands being incorporated into the Capellan military.
During the Jihad General Pat Hampton and his troops returned to the world to defend it against the Word of Blake. At the same time he encouraged the growth of the local defense industry. The two plants on-world produce several primitive and modern BattleMechs, as well as vehicles that are at a Succession Wars level of technology. The AFFS High Command had no problem with this during the Jihad, but after the war with the Word of Blake ended, the High Command questioned the need for New Hessen to have a militia force three times the average for a world of its importance.
New Hessen's role in the Jihad increased dramatically on the 14th of May 3076 when General Hampton met with representatives from the allied coalition being assembled by Devlin Stone and agreed that New Hessen could be used by the coalition as a staging base against the Word of Blake Protectorate. The Word of Blake deployed Protectorate forces to attack New Hessen on the 15th of August, landing troops on the ground under the cover of tactical nuclear weapons and fuel-air explosives. Despite having secured landing zones, the Protectorate troops found themselves quickly trapped by the New Hessen defenders.
In response to the recent raids and assaults on worlds within the Word of Blake Protectorate, the Blakists launched raiding parties against various worlds around the Protectorate border in early September 3076. Making use of weapons of mass destruction to augment the damage inflicted, the raiding parties - few of which were larger than a single Level III - struck at the worlds of Algorab, Alnasi, Amity, Bordon, Connaught, Hunan, Kessel, New Kyoto, Ronel, St. Andre, Styk, Tsitsang and Wei, with additional forces raiding New Hessen. Of the worlds hit, the Capellan Confederation took the brunt of the fighting. Following the September raid, the Blakist insurgents on New Hessen went silent in late October. The Blakists then resurfaced in late November with a daring daylight raid on the New Hessen WorkMechs facility, a raid which saw them successfully appropriate a dozen largely complete 'Mechs.
In the period after the Jihad as the Republic of the Sphere began to form, General Hampton spoke at some length regarding the future of New Hessen and his opinion on the need for the world to remain capable of defending itself, independent of assistance from other worlds or states. Hampton was forthright in stating that New Hessen should only ally with worlds that respected the right of individual systems to govern themselves. Commentators in the New Hessen media such as Abigail von Patten believed that this indicated that General Hampton was opposed to the incorporation of New Hessen into the Republic of the Sphere, and that his position and standing on New Hessen could well influence the decision on New Hessen's fate. Hampton's perceived opposition to the Republic attracted speculation that either it was a result of the stance Devlin Stone was taking against large irregular military forces, or that it was part of an attempt to secure more power for himself.
- Seventh Tikonov Lancers
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 141, "New Hessen Planet Profile"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 8, "New Hessen"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 11, "Off-The-Shelf War"
- Total Chaos, p. 149
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 24, "Tucas Takes Over"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding, 2366"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 29, "A Challenge From The Sheng"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succesion War "
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succesion War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succesion War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 21, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Region Deployment Map "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Total Chaos, p. 148
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad Final Reckoning, p. 32, "Republic, No?"
- Total Chaos, p. 149
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 15, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 136, "First Succession War Deployment Table - CCAF"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- Field Report: AFFS, p.10
- Field Report: AFFS, p.11
- Field Report: AFFS, p.20
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 160, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3, p. 10
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: CCAF
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Liao
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Objectives: Federated Suns
- Total Chaos