New Kyoto neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-125.729 : 11.811[e]|
|Recharge time||186 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||5 (Eun, Ishiko, Le, Taka and Wing-Chiu)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||36°C (Warm-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3130|
|Ruler|| Musashi Endo, Daimyo of New Kyoto (3025)|
Daimyo: Aritomo Endo
Governor: Genna Endo & Planetary Legate: Aran Yashruti
|Population|| 5,467,000,000 (3067)|
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor To Sun Yi) (3025)|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Planetary History
- 3 Military Deployment
- 4 Industrial Centers
- 5 Geography
- 6 Planetary Locations
- 7 Industrial Centers
- 8 Local Fauna
- 9 Nearby Planets
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2340 - Federation of Skye 
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3079 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Wolf Empire 
The world posed some remarkable challenges for the first settlers trying to colonise the world. The local lifeforms are virulent and dangerous, and those plants and animals imported from offworld were quickly consumed, killed by disease or otherwise destroyed by the local flora and fauna. It took years for scientists on the planet to find an opening that would allow imported lifeforms to survive, and by the thirty-first century the imported species had managed to gain a foothold on New Kyoto.
New Kyoto was largely settled by Japanese expatriates, and the world became a major center of the Buddhist religion in the Lyran Commonwealth. It possesses the largest statue to Amidha Buddha in the Inner Sphere: The statue is over 110 meters tall.
Star League Era
The industrial base on New Kyoto was initially only capable of supporting light industries, but during the era of the Star League New Kyoto was one of numerous worlds which saw increasingly large factory complexes appearing on the planet as a result of the Commonwealth's industrial base expanding. Among the more notable features of New Kyoto during the Star League era was Kyoto College, an institute dedicated to the study of myomers for military and medical applications, and one of the most prestigious facilities of its kind during the era. A number of major Lyran military suppliers were also located on New Kyoto, including Doering Electronics and RAMTech Industries.
During the First Succession War the Bolson Shipyards in orbit above New Kyoto were the target of a massive assault that in February 2787 destroyed what had been a major naval production facility during the Star League era. The February 2787 was just the first of many raids to be launched against New Kyoto.
During the Third Succession War New Kyoto became the site of the first military action performed for the Lyran Commonwealth by the mercenary unit Snord's Irregulars. After months of repairing and refitting from earlier losses, the Irregulars had been offered a chance to join the defense of New Kyoto against a Free Worlds League attack. Cranston Snord accepted the offer, both for the chance to fight against Free Worlds League forces but also because of a collection of artworks he had learned were hidden on the world. The Irregulars staged an unexpected combat drop on the city of Kirwanal, hoping to find the treasures they sought there; instead, they chanced upon a FWLM supply depot and wiped out the surprised defenders. Continuing their search for the lost artworks, the Irregulars followed a lead to the city of Shaval, where they stumbled across the New Kyoto command post of the FWLM forces, and wiped it out as well before moving into Shaval and holding it. Through their lucky surprise hits on critical elements of the Marik offensive the Irregulars routed the invaders in just over two months where an eight-month campaign had been anticipated by the Steiner command. The unit received personal congratulations from Katrina Steiner, and its officers were awarded the Steiner Medal of Honor with Oak Leaf Clusters. Cranston Snord also unearthed one of the hidden vaults containing the lost art objects of New Kyoto, and spirited them to the base on Clinton.
A ban on exporting native New Kyoto lifeforms offworld remained firmly in place as late as 3025, and while New Kyoto was reasonably free of the larger hostile life forms such as Armor Bears and Ki-rians by this point, visitors would have to have been extremely foolish to travel into any of the wild areas of the planet alone or unarmed. As late as 3067 thousands of deaths a year on New Kyoto were attributed to just those two species, despite the Armor Bear being limited largely to the remaining woodlands on Asharu and the Ki-rian being subject to massive hunting campaigns all over Kalaska as the local population tried to contain the species.
The Endo family of New Kyoto was responsible for leading the Rahneshire region of the Federation of Skye during the Succession Wars, and embodied the ferocious corporate spirit and warriors for which the Rahneshire was famous throughout the Commonwealth.
By 3025 several spaceports were being built on New Kyoto to boost trade with the Free Worlds League and a number of major industries had been constructed along the coastlines of the four continents dotted around New Kyoto. New Kyoto was a centre of the Pure Land Sect Buddhist tradition within the Commonwealth as well as being the centre of group of planets with a population largely descended from ethnically Japanese settlers. The Toshodai-ji temple on New Kyoto housed the largest sculpture of the Amida Buddha known to exist. The distinctive Japanese influence on the culture of New Kyoto is such that visitors to the planet have frequently questioned whether New Kyoto was actually the subject of an extended occupation by the Draconis Combine at some point.
By 3067 the Kyoto College located outside the city of Yonei on Kalasaka was at the forefront of research into myomer technologies used for both medical and military applications. Discoveries made by those studying or working at the College had led to a host of improvements and developments in a host of areas ranging from BattleMech and IndustrialMech design through to myomer-based personal armor for civil, military and governmental agencies. The College also offered a wide portfolio of programs in engineering and medicine that allowed for work experience and internships with technology and firms and hospitals throughout the Isle of Skye.
In response to the recent raids and assaults on worlds within the Word of Blake Protectorate, the Blakists launch raiding parties against various worlds around the Protectorate border in early September 3076. Making use of weapons of mass destruction to augment the damage inflicting, the raiding parties - few of which were larger than a single Level III struck at the worlds of Algorab, Alnasi, Amity, Bordon, Connaught, Hunan, Kessel, New Hessen, New Kyoto, Ronel, St. Andre, Styk, Tsitsang and Wei. Of the worlds hit, the Capellan Confederation took the brunt of the fighting. Renegade Free Worlds League units also attacked New Kyoto, inflicting substantial damage; losses included Kyoto College and the nearby city of Yonei were both leveled, as was the Doering Electronics facility at Kawnaku City, and the laser-manufacturing facilities operated by RAMTech Industries in and around Hitihito took enough damage to destroy half the facilities.
The Dark Age
Investment by the government of the Republic of the Sphere allowed New Kyoto to repair some of the damage taken during the Jihad; Kyoto College was reconstructed, as were the destroyed RAMTech Industries facilities, while a local manufacturer named Marker Electronics, a specialist company producing communications systems and sensors, expanded to fill the void left by the destruction of Doering Electronics, supplying a number of systems to both the Republic Armed Forces as well as the Republic's aerospace and industrial sectors.
- Seventeenth Skye Rangers
- Hsien Hotheads
New Kyoto has four continents including Asharu, Kalasaka, Koshimatu and Zuishami. Asharu is located in the northern hemisphere, while Kalasaka and Koshimatu lie near the equator; Kalasaka is the larger of the two equatorial continents. Zuishami is an island continent located in the southern hemisphere.
- Hirihito: the planetary capital city and spaceport; location of the RAMTech Industries facilities and the Buddhist temple of Tooshodai-ji. Locaed on Asharu.
- Kawnaku City: location of the Doering Electronics and Marker Electronics facilities; located on Zuishami and leveled during the Jihad.
- Kirwanal: city and site of a notable battle during the Third Succession War.
- New Yonei: a city located on Kalaska.
- Oshataku: a city on Koshimatu; location of the corporate headquarters of RAMTech Industries.
- Yonei: city and location of the Kyoto College; located on Kalasaka. Leveled during the Jihad.
- Bolson Shipyards (destroyed February 2787)
- Doering Electronics (destroyed during the Jihad)
- Marker Electronics
- RAMTech Industries
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 169, "New Kyoto"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 89, "New Kyoto Planet Profile"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)], p. 193, "New Kyoto"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Federation of Skye world within the Lyran Commonwealth befor  and after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Nao"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42-43, "Inner Sphere - October 3067"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 37, "The Good Years"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 37, "Timeline: The Commonwealth and the First Succession War"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 35, "Total War"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 3
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 155, "Kyotan Armor Bear (Ursus Blindarus Kyotis)"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 155, "Ki-rian (Panthera Blindarus Kyotis)"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 92, "The Federation of Skye"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 124, "Buddhism"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 105, "Buddhism"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 118, "Kyoto College"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, pp. 18-19, "Skye Rangers" - Regimental Status
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117, "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Objective Raids, p. 19, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 48, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deploment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 171, "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 136, "Doering Electronics (DoEI)"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 138, "RAMTech Industries (RAMTch)"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Shattered Sphere