- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Stinger Land-Air 'Mech|
|Production Year||Introduction Year::2688|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||O/P 900|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P LAMTRACK 50|
|Speed||97.2 ground km/h, 1620 overthrust km/h|
|Jump Jets||GM ATO 100|
In 2680, the Star League requested designers to develop 'Mechs which could fly as well as function as standard 'Mechs. The first Land-Air 'Mech off the drawing board, the Shadow Hawk LAM, proved so fatally flawed, the concept was almost shelved. However, LexaTech Industries reworked the conversion equipment and unveiled the first viable LAM, the Stinger LAM in 2688, based on the old Stinger design. LexaTech's reworking of the concept proved so successful, the Land-Air 'Mech became highly sought after, especially for operations on minor planets (asteroids, comets, dwarf planets, etc.). In fact, the Stinger LAM first saw combat destroying a nuclear weapons facility in the Oort Cloud orbiting Sol, Terra's star.
Never produced in large numbers, there were still many in service during the Succession Wars due in part because the LexaTech facility on the Draconis Combine world of Irece, the last intact LAM factory in the Inner Sphere. LexaTech was able to construct new Stinger LAMs as well as new parts. The loss of the factory to the forces of Clan Nova Cat in 3050 during the Clan Invasion sounded the death knell for the Land Air 'Mech as a viable combat unit: the Nova Cats viewed Land Air 'Mechs as an abomination and utterly razed the LexaTech factory to the ground.
Weapons and Equipment
The standard production model uses three Magna Medium Lasers mounted on the head and arms.
- STG-A1 (Stinger LAM MK I)
- The original Stinger LAM used by the Star League Defense Force Royal Divisions, this version carried a Medium Pulse Laser and replaced the Machine Guns with Small Pulse Lasers. Double heat sinks kept the temperature manageable. It was also more heavily armored than its forerunner, carrying five tons of protection. BV (2.0) = 788
- Advanced Technology Stinger LAM - LexaTech attempted to use new technologies like Endo Steel, Ferro-Fibrous armor, and a larger XL Engine in a version of their Stinger LAM, but couldn't overcome the conflicting requirements of conversion equipment and bulk. This left the Stinger variant on the drawing board.
- Stinger - LexaTech based the first successful Land-Air 'Mech on the venerable Stinger light BattleMech.
Stinger LAM Gallery
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 126
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 290-292
- Invading Clans, p.114
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 292