|Tech Base||Clan / Inner Sphere (IS)|
|Year Introduced||Clan = 2825 CDS|
|Tons|| Clan = 0.25
IS = 0.5
|Ammo Per Ton||200|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||1,000|
|BV (2.0)|| Clan = 5|
The Machine Gun is the quintessential anti-infantry weapon, issuing a stream of bullets at a high rate of fire to cut down opposing soldiers, while still being effective at damaging BattleMechs. Vehicular-scale machine guns mounted on BattleMechs can lay low entire platoons in just a few passes thanks to their high rate of fire, though they are more commonly found on Combat Vehicles and ProtoMechs. These weapons are much heavier than those typically carried by infantry, but can be used by them when placed on a static mount, where they are called Support Machine Guns. Battle Armor can also carry machine guns, typically upgraded versions of infantry-support weapons, which can rival their larger vehicular-scale cousins.
Beyond the "standard" models Clan Smoke Jaguar was the first to create Light Machine Guns and Heavy Machine Guns, which the other Clans and the Inner Sphere eventually fielded as well. The Federated Suns were also the first to mount multiple machine guns on the same linked platform creating the Machine Gun Array.
BattleMechs and vehicles (massing more than 5 tons) allot Machine Gun ammunition in half-ton (100 "round") as well as full ton (200 "round") lots. Powered Armor (of all types, including BattleArmor) and vehicles massing less than 5 tons are alloted ammo in 5 kg lots that are consumed in a single "round" or turn of fire.
The Machine Gun is manufactured on the following planets:
|Manufactured on||Manufactured by||Typically used in||References|
|Oliver||Brigadier Corporation|| Phoenix Hawk
- TechManual, p. 228, "Machine Gun"
- TechManual, p. 290, "Heavy Weapons And Equipment - Table"
- TechManual, p. 341, "Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 343, "Clan Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 294, "Heavy Weapon Ammunition - Table"
- TechManual, p. 318, "Clan Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- MechWarrior: Third Edition, p. 137, "Machine Guns"
- MechWarrior: Third Edition, p. 143, "Battle Armor Primary Weapons"
- TechManual, p. 258, "Machine Gun"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 211, "T-12 Tiger Medium Tank"
- Ghost of Christmas Present, p. 3
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 294, "Produced Crusader 3R Components"