- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
Summer neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-44.46 : 26.05[e]|
|Recharge time||205 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||42° C (Tropical)|
|Highest native life||Plants|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3130|
|Ruler|| Aldo Lestrade IV, Duke of Summer (3025)|
Duke Genovese Hayne (3067)
Governor Minerva Hyne & Planetary Legate: Carlos Adler
|Capital|| Curitiba (until 3069)|
Mount Breighton (3130)
|Population|| 2,561,000,000 (3067)|
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor Dewayne Vetters) (3025)|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Planetary Geography
- 3 Planetary History
- 4 Military Deployment
- 5 Industrial Centers
- 6 Nearby Planets
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2773 - Terran Hegemony (from March)
- 2783 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2784 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3068 - Free Worlds League (from October) 
- 3069 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3145 - Clan Jade Falcon 
The planet Summer orbits a relatively cool M-class star; the four major continents of the world are marked by numerous mountain chains that run across them, and the combination of Summer's close orbital path to the system primary and a slowly-fading ozone layer make the planet warmer than it might appear. The soil native to Summer is infertile and incapable of supporting more than the indigenous scrub grass - which is purple in color - but Summer possesses reserves of various radioactive ores, as well as deposits of crude oil. A relatively dark world thanks to the dim system primary, Summer is characterized by hills that appear as dark and ominous shapes that loom over Summer's many valleys, leaving the valleys steeped in shadows. The native plantlife on Summer produces odd odors when it blooms, and these odors often taint the wind during summer months. Of the four continents one is named Wessler, another is named Lestrade, and a third Aberdale.
Summer was settled during the first Exodus from Terra but the infertility of the local soil made agricultural endeavors difficult, if not impossible. This forced the population to build trading partnerships with a number of nearby worlds; exploiting the oil and radioactive materials for trade purposes, the export of both formed the basis of the planetary economy. Summer was soon a valuable world within the Federation of Skye, with cities springing up across all four continents. The cities were invariably located close to the reserves of ore and oil, despite the difficulty in traveling overland between settlements because of the mountain ranges.
Star League Era
During the Star League era germanium deposits were discovered in the Balise Mountains on the southern continent of Wessler. Summer's economy was already booming, but the germanium deposits encouraged the development of manufacturing industries producing JumpShip components. The JumpShip industry in turn prompted the Star League Defense Force to install a substantial garrison on Summer and to construct a number of Castles Brian. During the Amaris Civil War many of the facilities and industries on Summer were damaged, but the planet remained a viable enough economic and industrial center to make it a valuable addition to the Lyran Commonwealth despite the destruction of the majority of the shipbuilding industries.
The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces used Summer as a base for raiding into the Draconis Combine, and Summer attracted Kuritan raids in return; while the Succession Wars saw many of the aging petrochemical refineries damaged, but the planet retained much of its industry. The output from the damaged facilities had an increasingly damaging effect on the planetary ozone layer, and this damage was accelerated by the heavy DropShip traffic Summer was host to. The difficulty of overland travel made DropShip activity very frequent on Summer, with the planet boasting ten active spaceports all in heavy use.
By the end of the Third Succession War Summer was both the political center of the Skye Province and the beating heart of the Skye separatist movement, championed by Duke Aldo Lestrade IV. The center of the separatist movement on Summer itself was the city of Curitiba, the largest city on the planet, and home to Duke Lestrade's palace, which loomed imposingly over the city. In addition to the production of oil and radioactives Summer was notable for possessing factories that produced JumpShip components. Summer was still tied strongly to the Seventeenth Skye Rangers regiment as a result of the historical agreement that at least half of the Seventeenth's MechWarriors had to be recruited from Summer.
With the death of Duke Aldo Lestrade IV in the late 3020s the Lestrade family fell from grace, and control over the planet was acquired by the Hayne family, an old Summer family that had dominated the polar continent of Aberdale for a long time. The Hayne influence was partly tied to the commercial refineries found on Aberdale, whose output effectively controlled more than a fifth of the planetary income of Summer.
Following the invasion of the Free Worlds League by the Skye and Bolan Provinces of the Lyran Alliance in what was termed Operation ÜBERSCHATTEN, Marshall Jeremy Brett took command of the local FWLM and launched a counteroffensive, under the name Operation BROKEN FIST. BROKEN FIST went beyond simply attempting to recapture worlds that the Lyrans had seized, striking into Lyran space at numerous worlds. Summer was one of the worlds hit and was attacked by the League forces on the 1st of September 3068. The League would keep control of Summer until the 7th of January 3069, when Lyran Alliance forces recaptured the planet.
On the 27th of September 3069 ComStar forces were mustering on Summer when the planet came under attack from Word of Blake forces. The Blakist attack used Pocket WarShips and AeroSpace Fighters to attack the planet and as a part of their attack used a powerful nuclear weapon to destroy Curitiba, the planetary capital city, along with the bulk of the ComStar and LAAF units on the planet. Despite the damage dealt to Summer's defenders, the Word of Blake didn't attempt to occupy the planet, but instead simply moved on. The long-term damage on Summer as a result of the Blakist attack was significant; in addition to the three million people killed in the Curitiba bombing, much of heavy industry on the Lestrade continent was also devastated in the blast as was the countryside around Curitiba.
The devastation inflicted on Summer led to an exodus of much of the population off-world.
The Dark Age
The incorporation of Summer into the Republic of the Sphere helped to reverse the population exodus, and while the cities on Lestrade were largely abandoned, the economy began to rebuild. The city of Mount Breighton on the northern polar continent of Aberdale became the new planetary capital as well as the heart of the reconstruction and rebuilding efforts. Summer InterStellar Components began producing JumpShip parts again in the 3120s.
- Twelfth Donegal Guards
- Kell Hounds
- First Kell Hounds
- Kell Hounds
Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years). Closest planets first:
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth, p. 167, "Summer"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 90, "Summer Planet Profile"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds, p. 198, "Summer World Profile"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 118, "Digesting The Hegemony"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 132, "District and Prefecture Boundaries of Kurita Space"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. vii, "Lyran Commonwealth Map - "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 63, "Regimental Nicknames (continued)"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 47, "The Jihad In Review"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117 - "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138, "Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 27 - "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 19 - "FedCom Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids