(References to Galatea)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: -53.74 Y: 34.32[e]
Though it orbits far from a yellow-white giant, Galatea is a hot world, rendered largely barren along its equatorial and tropical zones thanks mostly to its thin protective ozone layer. In the temperate and polar regions, where the solar radiation is less severe, the soil is largely sterilized, lacking in nitrogen from centuries of ultraviolet exposure. As a result, very little vegetation grows on Galatea, save what can be found along the coastlines of rivers extending from the planet’s oceans — the Amersia Sea in the north polar region, the Kileri and Paradise Oceans in the south—which are completely land-locked within the single, planet-wide landmass known as Lubbocks.
Originally settled in 2250 by colonists from various anti-technology sects, the first settlers accepted life on the hot and arid world because most others did not see the value in the planet. They had made great progress in taming the world by the time the Terran Hegemony chose to annex it in 2333.
In the Star League era, Galatea became a major military training ground, shared jointly by the Hegemony and the neighboring Lyran Commonwealth. Galatea experienced an economic boom during this period, followed by a long period of stagnation in the wake of the Star League’s collapse. The lack of economic growth eventually led to its development as a Mecca for out-of-work and dispossessed mercenaries and its establishment as the home of the largest Hiring Hall in the Mercenary’s Guild. Becoming known as the "Mercenary's Star," Galatea experienced a revival, with employers and mercenaries drawn to compete for contracts both over the negotiating table and in vast improvised training fields. The rise of Outreach, under the administration of the Wolf's Dragoons, drew the majority of mercenaries and the clients to it, leaving Galatea to make do with the more desperate and needy scraps that remained, greatly wounding the planet's economy.
While not quite as conveniently located as Outreach, Galatea is within three jumps of Terra and is included on many major trade routes of both the Lyran Alliance and Draconis Combine. The breakdown of the Federated Commonwealth, the rise of the Chaos March affecting access to Outreach, and finally the Jihad has allowed Galatea to regain much of its lost glory, though it suffered under the occupation of the Word of Blake for a few years before being liberated by Devlin Stone.
A Word of Blake force disguised themselves as the Northwind Highlanders to allow them to assault Galatea in October 3072, quickly occupying Galatean City and the surrounding areas. The first major attempt to liberate Galatea occured in early November 3075 when allied forces under the command of Devlin Stone attempted to force the 11th Word of Blake Militia off the planet. The Blakist forces put up a dogged resistance, and while the initial allied landings were successful, the campaign soon bogged down. Galatea was finally liberated in late January 3076 when the last elements of the 11th were forced offworld.
The various dune buggies and cross-country bikes manufactured on Galatea have long been popular with mercenary forces, who would often refit them or embody field modifications; the Republic Armed Forces also made use of these same buggies and bikes after the founding of the Republic of the Sphere, with local units such as the Galatean Support Wheels becoming known in the mid-3080s as possibly the best example of a mechanised machine-gun infantry platoon anywhere in the RAF.
- Star Type (Recharge Time): F8II (179 hours)
- Position in System: 6 (of 8)
- Number of Moons: 1 (Galatea Minor)
- Time to Jump Point: 12.01 days
- Number of Satellites: 1 (Galatea Minor)
- Surface Gravity: 0.99
- Atm. Pressure: Standard (Breathable)
- Equatorial Temperature: 55°C (Desert)
- Surface Water: 35%
- Recharging Station: Zenith
- HPG Class Type: A
- Highest Native Life: Mammals
 Era Specific Data
- Noble Ruler: Duke David Nowakowski
- Population: 556,976,000
- Socio-Industrial Level: C-C-C-C-C
- Noble Ruler: Duke David Nowakowski
- Population: 552,236,000
- Socio-Industrial Levels/USIIR: C-C-C-C-C
- Population: 628,218,000
- Governor: Bradford Nowakowski
- Planetary Legate: Celine Richtofen
 Garrisoning Military Force
- Devil's Brigade (Battalion)
- 1st New Hessen Irregulars
- 2nd New Hessen Irregulars
- HeavyHell Raisers (Battalion)
- Raging Horde (1 Cluster)
- Reed's Brew (Battalion)
- Rubinsky's Renegades (1.5 Lances)
- Brock's Buccaneers 
- Devil's Brigade
- 3rd New Hessen Irregulars
- Sathen's Snipers
- Wannamaker's Widowmakers
 Owner History
- 2250 - Terran Alliance
- 2333 - Terran Hegemony
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance
- 3062 - Lyran Alliance
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance
- 3072 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from November)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3134 - Republic of the Sphere 
 Nearby Planets
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 51, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 20, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, p. 8, "Key Infantry"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Handbook: House Steiner, p. 88, "Planet Profile"
- ↑ Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 95, "House Steiner Key Worlds"
- ↑ Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 183, "Planet Profile"
- ↑ Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 66, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 70, "Mercenary Empoyment Table"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployment"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental