Galatea neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-53.77 : 34.07[e]|
|Recharge time||179 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||1 (Galatea Minor)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||55°C (Desert)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Reference Year||3067 - 3130|
|Ruler|| Duke David Nowakowski (3067-3076)|
Bradford Nowakowsk (3130)
|Population|| 556,976,000 (3067)|
- 2250 - Terran Alliance 
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2337 - Independent world 
- 2338 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2772 - Terran Hegemony (from September)
- 2782 - Terran Hegemony
- 2783 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3007 - Draconis Combine 
- 3022 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3062 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3072 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from November)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3134 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Independent 
Though it orbits far from a yellow-white giant, Galatea is a hot world, rendered largely barren along its equatorial and tropical zones thanks mostly to its thin protective ozone layer. In the temperate and polar regions, where the solar radiation is less severe, the soil is largely sterilized, lacking in nitrogen from centuries of ultraviolet exposure. As a result, very little vegetation grows on Galatea, save what can be found along the coastlines of rivers extending from the planet’s oceans — the Amersia Sea in the north polar region, the Kileri and Paradise Oceans in the south—which are completely land-locked within the single, planet-wide landmass known as Lubbocks.
Originally settled in 2250 by colonists from various anti-technology sects, the first settlers accepted life on the hot and arid world because most others did not see the value in the planet 
The settlers had made great progress in taming the world by the time the Terran Hegemony chose to annex it in 2337; Galatea was one of the worlds targeted in the third of the "campaigns of persuasion" launched Director-General James McKenna to expand the Hegemony's holdings, although when the third campaign began in 2333, it was the first planetary assault in which James McKenna's son, Konrad McKenna, commanded both the black water naval forces and the ground forces. Konrad McKenna didn't bother with the in-depth reconnaissance that had been a staple of previous campaigns by the Hegemony Armed Forces, anticipating little resistance from the population given their stance against technology. This proved a costly misjudgement; the locals were more than willing to embrace simple slug-throwing weaponry when invaded, and had intimate knowledge of the local terrain; the net result was a year-long battle that finally saw the Hegemony victorious in late 2337 or early 2338, after taking heavy casualties.
The Star League Era
In the Star League era, Galatea became a major military training ground, shared jointly by the Hegemony and the neighboring Lyran Commonwealth. Galatea experienced an economic boom during this period, followed by a long period of stagnation in the wake of the Star League’s collapse. The lack of economic growth eventually led to its development as a Mecca for out-of-work and dispossessed mercenaries and its establishment as the home of the largest Hiring Hall in the Mercenary’s Guild. Becoming known as the "Mercenary's Star," Galatea experienced a revival, with employers and mercenaries drawn to compete for contracts both over the negotiating table and in vast improvised training fields. The rise of Outreach, under the administration of the Wolf's Dragoons, drew the majority of mercenaries and the clients to it, leaving Galatea to make do with the more desperate and needy scraps that remained, greatly wounding the planet's economy.
While not quite as conveniently located as Outreach, Galatea is within three jumps of Terra and is included on many major trade routes of both the Lyran Alliance and Draconis Combine. The breakdown of the Federated Commonwealth, the rise of the Chaos March affecting access to Outreach, and finally the Jihad has allowed Galatea to regain much of its lost glory, though it suffered under the occupation of the Word of Blake for a few years before being liberated by Devlin Stone.
A Word of Blake force disguised themselves as the Northwind Highlanders to allow them to assault Galatea in October 3072, quickly occupying Galatean City and the surrounding areas. The first major attempt to liberate Galatea occured in early November 3075 when allied forces under the command of Devlin Stone attempted to force the Eleventh Word of Blake Militia off the planet. The Blakist forces put up a dogged resistance, and while the initial allied landings were successful, the campaign soon bogged down.
The Eleventh was able to regroup, ready to face attacks from the Com Guard Seventh-ninth Division thanks to how protracted the fighting for control of Galatean City was, with heavy house-to-house fighting throughout the city. The First Skye Jaegers attempted to move to support Precentor Lousia Draga and the Seventy-ninth, but encountered a new Blakist combat vehicle, the Bolla Stealth Tank, which blocked the Jaegers' efforts to reinforce the Com Guards.
The Com Guard 103rd Division arrived on Galatea to reinforce the allied forces just in time, with Precentor Styven Kimmelry and his troops preventing the invasion from stalling. Even after the allied forces had managed to push the Eleventh out of Galatean City the Blakists put up a fanatical resistance, using various prepared positions and holding key strategic locations that bogged down the coalition advance. In December 3075 the Blakists successfully killed Precentor Kimmelry in a "Headhunter" attack, leaving Precentor Draga in overall command of the coalition forces; with the allied coalition tied down into fighting the main Blakist strengths at Paphos and Pygmalion, Draga responded by calling for additional reinforcements. Arch-Duke Morgan Kell responded by deploying two mercenary units - the Knights of St. Cameron and the Tooth of Ymir - to reinforce the allied forces.
Taking advantage of the reinforcements, Draga pulled the Seventy-ninth away from Paphos, leaving the Skye Jaegers to block attempts by the Blakists there to break out or reinforce their compatriots at Pygmalion; Draga then led the Seventy-ninth and both mercenary units in an extended, three-day attack on the Blakists at Pygmalion, which represented the largest single group of Blakist forces left on Galatea. When the allied coalition finally cracked the defenses and began pouring into Blakist lines, the defenders tried to break out and link up with the force at Paphos, but were blocked and crushed by the coalition forces. This prompted the Paphos contingent to break for their DropShips, fleeing and leaving Galatea to the allied coalition.
The various dune buggies and cross-country bikes manufactured on Galatea have long been popular with mercenary forces, who would often refit them or embody field modifications; the Republic Armed Forces also made use of these same buggies and bikes after the founding of the Republic of the Sphere, with local units such as the Galatean Support Wheels becoming known in the mid-3080s as possibly the best example of a mechanised machine-gun infantry platoon anywhere in the RAF.
In the early 3140s the bulk of Hansen's Roughriders were stationed on Galatea; when Galatea was raided in late 3141, the Roughriders' infantry forces were forced into heavy combat to protect the mercenaries' command and control post located in Galatea city. As the riaders tried to reach their target, the Cardinal Transports that the Roughriders had bought in considerable numbers from Clan Sea Fox in previous years came into play; by ferrying the Roughriders limited infantry forces from conflict to conflict, they increased the effectiveness of the infantry dramatically. One particularly notable Roughriders pilot, Lieutenant Bianca Robertson, and her Cardinal - aptly named Vomit Comet - performed more than 140 troop deployments as well as engaging and destroying three enemy 'Mechs, including a Hollander II.
Duchess Tara Campbell was nearly captured by forces from Clan Jade Falcon on Galatea in 3144; the Duchess had been cut off by Jade Falcon Elementals on two flanks during a particularly brutal battle outside Galatean City when a scratch battalion of Republic Remnant forces consisting largely of battle armor and JI2A1 Attack APCs surprised the Jade Falcons. Striking from the Falcons' rear, the Republic Remnant forces killed a number of Elementals using tandem-charge missiles - one noted gunner on a JI2A1, Sergeant Bryan Charles accounted for three Falcon Elementals single-handedly - before launching a savage battlesuit-to-battelsuit clash that gave the Duchess time to escape. The remaining Republic Remnant forces on Galatea, including Sergeant Charles and the survivors from his unit, all subsequently left Galatea at the request of the newly-formed Galatean League.
- Devil's Brigade (Battalion)
- First New Hessen Irregulars
- Second New Hessen Irregulars
- HeavyHell Raisers (Battalion)
- Raging Horde (1 Cluster)
- Reed's Brew (Battalion)
- Rubinsky's Renegades (1.5 Lances)
- Brock's Buccaneers 
- Devil's Brigade
- Third New Hessen Irregulars
- Sathen's Snipers
- Wannamaker's Widowmakers
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 88, "Galatea"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 96, "Galatea"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds, p. 186, "Galatea Planet Profile"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- The Star League, p. 18, "The Syrma Ambush"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 118, "Digesting The Hegemony"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 88, "Military Revival"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 90, "The Continuing Alliance"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 132, "District and Prefecture Boundaries of Kurita Space"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 51, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 47, "Fighting on Galatea Continues"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 63, "Galatea Secured"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 20, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, p. 8, "Key Infantry"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 18, "Cardinal Transport"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 14, "J12A1 Attack APC"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 40
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 66, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 70, "Mercenary Empoyment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployment"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Unaligned/Uncontracted"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3145
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries