- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Cudahy Assembly Plant Delta|
|Chassis||Type 56-45C Modified|
|Armor||CerPlate Mod 2F|
|Engine||RFUM 225 Standard|
|Communications System||Block 7 TRACONM|
|Targeting Tracking System||TRTTS-X Mk. I|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Great Wyrm was one of the first unique Clan BattleMechs ever developed. Clan Mongoose scientists used the specifications for the Dragon as the basis for their new creation, and were able to update it to their liking in a little more than a year. The Great Wyrm first saw action in 2844 against Clan Star Adder, and soon found its way into the toumans of every Clan. With the development of the OmniMech, however, the Great Wyrm was reduced to a solahma unit and production finally ceased in 2872.
In creating the Great Wyrm, the Mongoose creators reduced the Dragon's weight by fifteen tons. It mounts a corresponding seven tons of armor.
Weapons and Equipment
For long-range, the Great Wyrm makes use of a Mk. 44 LRM-10 and a pair of Series GAA-22 Rapid Fire Cannons. The design uses its speed to stay out of the range of most enemies' guns while peppering them with these. If any enemy manages to close, or if the ammunition is expended, the Great Wyrm also mounts a pair of Series 1 Mk. 3 ER Medium Lasers and Series 1 Mk. 2 ER Small Lasers.
- Great Wyrm 2
- Produced during the Jihad in 3069, this variant utilizes new innovations introduced just prior to the war. The dual Ultra autocannons have been removed in favor of a Class 20 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammunition. The LRM launcher and ER Small Lasers have also been removed. In their place, a third ER Medium Laser has been added, along with an AP Gauss Rifle with one ton of ammunition. The armor protection has been increased with standard armor exchanged for Ferro-Fiberous armor. BV (2.0) = 1,667
- Great Wyrm Aemelia
- This customized Clan 'Mech was created by an abandoned Clan Smoke Jaguar warrior named Aemelia on the Draconis Combine world of Rockland in 3062. She evaded capture by the forces of Operation: Bulldog and found herself alone for two years waiting for word from a now dead Clan. She decided to patrol the world alone, dispatching pirates. She took a Great Wyrm BattleMech out of storage from a hidden Jaguar depot and removed ammunition-dependent weapons, replacing them with an ER Large Laser, a Large Pulse Laser, and a pair of Extended Range Medium and Small Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,394
Dragon - Despite the design being rejected by the SLDF, it would become the basis of the Great Wyrm after the SLDF-in-Exile became the Clans.
- MUL online date for the Great Wyrm
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 231
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 155-154, "Great Wyrm Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 232, "Great Wyrm's Jihad variant from RS3060u".
- Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs p. 3, "Great Wyrm Aemelia" - Custom Variant published by BattleCorps website.