5th Sword of Light
|5th Sword of Light BattleMech Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||The Gold Dragon|
|Parent Formation||Sword of Light|
 Unit Description
The 5th Sword of Light is a House Kurita BattleMech Regiment, which noted for using aggressive actions to achieve its objectives. This unit represents the Pillar of Gold, or government, with a regimental patch of a gold Kurita dragon.
Formed on the order of Jinjiro Kurita late 28th Century, it was formed to act as a fanatically loyal Household Guard unit in so to protect him from his political enemies. The unit was also tasked to protect Jinjiro's younger brother, Zabu Kurita.
 The First Succession War and as Household Guards
A Company of the 'Mech force would accompany both Coordinator Jinjiro or Zabu whenever they would enter battlefield. A House Guards, regiment be broken up with some of its units used its lance components protected personnel holdings. This left the 5th Sword scattered across the Combine, protecting these personal assets of the Jinjiro. Worlds they would be deployed were major planets, including New Samarkand, Pesht and its majority on Luthien protecting Jinjiro himself. In 2787 during the First Succession War the 5th Sword of Light participated in Operation Broken Blade's assault of Hesperus II, but was spared the carnage other frontline units suffered during this destructive era.
 The Second Succession War
 Duty to Coordinator Zabu and Assignment to Sun Zhang Military Academy
Years after First Succession War ended in 2821, Coordinator Jinjiro succumb to insanity. In his place, his brother Zabu Kurita took the throne in April 2837. As the Second Succession War raged, Zabu attempted to reform the Combine economy and military. He being naive man, reassigned 5th Sword to other duties, since feeling he no longer need large force for body guards to protect him from his own people.
He then transferred the elite and well equipped regiment to the newly formed Sun Zhang Military Academy on New Samarkand. It was his hopes that the regiment would be a means to motivate new cadets entering Combine's service. For next eight years, the unit served military academy as trainers and aides. This changed in 2838, when the Coordinator committed seppuku. Zabu's son, then recalled the 5th Sword to return to duty as his Coordinator's house guard unit once more.
 Duty on the Frontlines
However, within days of being recalled, Coordinator Yoguchi Kurita orders the unit to raid House Davion's border when he realized how well equipped and intact the 5th Sword was. At the time, there were few intact units due to sheer destruction the First Succession had caused on Combine troops.
In 2838 the 5th Sword conduct raid campaign along Draconis March. The unit would participate in 5 major battles and 40 lesser ones over next 3 decades. The unit would concentrate worlds confines of Dahar IV, Cassias, and Royal. The unit would develop its infamous tactics of targeting civilian and military targets in its "Total War" doctrine.
 Battle for Gandy's Luck
In December of 2851, the 5th Sword fought it most in defense of the Kurita world of Gandy's Luck. The unit had returned from several Raid-In-Force missions, Gandy's Luck served as it refit & rearming base. On world, the 9th Galedon Regulars were also on planet trying to rebuild due to combat losses.
Unknown to them, with days of arriving in system, a Task Force of Davion troops making up 4 regiments worth of troops had arrives. Included in their numbers, was battalion worth of BattleMechs from the Davion Guard Brigade. Both wounded previous battles, the 9th Galedon joined with the 5th Sword as unified force. The reinforced 5th Sword, begun use their knowledge of the terrain to their full advantage as they fought large Davion Task Force. Sword engaged it Davion opponent initially in "thrust and parry" attacks in beginning, then proceeded to grind each other down in grueling fire-fights. The Battle encompassed their continent. After three days of fighting victory less battles, the Davions withdrew from the planet leaving continent scarred with reminder their fight. The 5th Sword and 9th Galedon were devastated after the battle, it was decided to retire the 9th's colors allow remains to strengthen the 5th.
By end of the Second Succession War, the unit had been fighting on Davion world of Crossing. Entrenched ready to continue its battle, word of the ceasefire reach them, the unit withdrew across the border to Reisling's Planet. Following year after arriving, they were relocated to Dieron Military District, where they continued to garrison various worlds for following two years.
 Third Succession War
By October 2866, when that would mark beginning of the Third Succession War, the 5th Sword would position in Dieron Military District by Coordinator Miyogi Kurita in stage area with dozen other regiments for beginning of the next conflict.
 First and Second Offensives
At start of the war, the 5th Sword was part task force which set to take worlds in Lyran Commonwealth. Unprepared Steiner's forces failed to resist invasion, lost number of worlds in initial invasion. The 5th Sword was involved in battles that claimed Kessel December and Vega for the Combine in January 2867. However, in 2872 the troops of the 5th Sword began to resent the new orders the avoid destruction of infrastructure and civilians unmolested from the fighting. The 5th Sword began to ignore such orders, however the unit paid price for their behavior. Lord Kurita then pulled them from the frontlines, placed them in garrison duty Davion front for next decade and half.
 The Invasion of Skye: 2893 - 2894
In 2893, the DCMS invaded the planet Skye, the capital of the Federation of Skye. As one of the DCMS' finest units, the 5th Sword of Light was a part of the invasion force. Despite the stiff defense by the defending Steiner troops, major parts of the planet had fallen under Kurita controll within a year. The Battle of Bannockburn Bogs was the turning point of the campaign. A 'Mech-battalion of the 5th Sword and a tank regiment were assigned take the city of New Glasgow for the Dragon. However, the Kurita force to stop their advance when they tried to pass through a swamp outside of the city. Two companies of the 17th Skye Rangers used their superior knowledge of the terrain and surrounded the Kurita force. In the ensuing battle most of the DCMS force was destroyed. The Battle of Bannockburn Bogs is notable to be the first battle ever to be lost by the 5th Sword of Light. Afterwards, the DCMS was on the defensive and finally had to retreat in 2894.
 Rebuilding, Household Guards, and traveling the Combine
The unit, still damaged from the Skye campaign, participate in joined expedition with other units to take Sakhalin in 2899. The unit was then used as garrison force on many of the worlds captured during early years of the Third Succession War.
By 2925, Lord Hohiro Kurita decided his household guards would be reduced to battalion of Battlemechs. He elected to rotate a single battalion from 5th Sword and its sister unit, the 2nd Sword. He had the Regiment travel the Steiner and Davion borders of the Combine, to prefect their "Art of War" through experience gained in battle. During this time period, the unit had given itself the nickname of "the twitchy stiletto". After 41 years, the unit had traveled to 48 different worlds setting record of travel in the Combine.
In 3004, Takashi Kurita had taken over as Coordinator after the assassination of his father. He changed the tactical doctrine of his military units, having them breakdown into company size forces, so allow better mobility and attaining elite skills over less experienced battalions.
In 3014, second-in command Conti Palmer replaces his commanding officer Leonard Ohira after leaking information to ISF. The Silvereen's Stallions (Company) is deployed to Worrell, where its commanding officer is killed in food riot in 3021. Conti has its command lance members killed for failing protect Captain Silvereen. He then promotes, Chu-i Daniel Sorenson to Tai-i and renames the unit Sorenson's Sabres.
Pirate raids in the Rasalhague region of the combine, has the 5th Sword's Tarwater's Battalion to deploy to New Caledonia in May 3023. The unit fights of number of food raids, and is success in fighting pirates off by 3024 with aide new the Sorenson's Sabre Company.
 The Fourth Succession War
 Battle for Northwind
As part of House Liao's request for strikes conducted in the Terran Corridor of House Davion held space, Tai-Sho Palmer Conti lead the Fifth Sword with assistance of the 36th Dieron Regulars to the world of Northwind in January, 3029. There 5th's commander had 36th Dieron to lure main garrison unit, 5th Deneb Light Cavalry from their defensive positions. Once out position, the 5th Sword shattered the understrength Davion regiment. The Cavalry's mercenary support units counter attacked by attacking the 5th Sword's Headquarters. However, the arrival of Tai-Sho Yorinaga Kurita's Genyosha regiments stopped the Kell Hounds' 3rd Battalion and Team Banzai. Genyosha efforts heavily damaged both mercenary units, forcing them to withdraw. After repulsion of Davion mercenary units, reinforcements sent by Prince Hanse Davion arrive in form of entire brigade of Northwind Highlanders.
In the fighting with the Northwind Highlanders, the 5th Sword is able to seriously damage the 1st Kearny Highlanders, prior Tai-Sho Conti withdraw from the planet. Conti orders the 36th Dieron to cover withdraw of the 5th, resulting in heavy damage. 
In August, the unit traveled to Moore where, some Dieron District commanders meet with Prince Theodore Kurita. Where he shows them semi-secret counter attack against Lyran front of the war. The units would stage on secretly captured Lyran world of Dromini VI, where they would strike out from the planet into number of Skye worlds. However, Lyran Commonwealth sent the 10th Lyran Guards to disrupt the operations. Though the attack was repulsed, Lyran LIC agents sabotaged majority of Lord Kurita's task force's JumpShips.
 Battle on Nusakan
On October 23rd 3029, the Fifth Sword engaged the Kell Hound regiment on Nusakan. The 5th Sword's commander, Tai-Sho Conti, had attempted to steal the glory from Genyosha after Lyran's sneak attack on Dromini VI. Fifth Sword fought a gruelling battle with the Kell Hounds, leaving many 'Mechs destroyed including Conti's own Banshee.
Men of the Fifth cheered as Genyosha approached, urging them to attack Kell Hounds. However, they refused and threatened to destroy Fifth if interfered with battle between Yorinaga Kurita and Colonel Morgan Kell. Fifth Sword forces back off from the arena like battlefield and witness samurai duel.
 War of 3039
 Pike IV
In the second Wave of the conflict, the 5th Sword of Light teamed up with the 24th Dieron Regulars in 19th, July 3039 as part of Combine's counter-invasion. The 5th Sword's commander Sho-sho Jonathan Fujimoto, was given command of two unit task force, leading the inexperienced 24th Dieron.
Sho-shoo Fujimoto keep his force together than divided, his task force where he focused his energies on Hansen’s Roughriders. Playing a game of cat-in-mouse, he and Colonel Hansen fought in skirmishes. Colonel Hansen attempted keep his unit from being smashed by elite skill and very well equipped 5th Swords. Time ran out for one of Hansen's Battalions, where 5th Sword finally corner it in the mining city of Mercator. Using their well trained skills of urban fighting, plowed quickly into the city. Inflicting high considerable damage to the 'Mech Battalion and the city itself. Only half the battalion survived, pulling out the city well enough regroup in highland areas. During the two week cat & mouse hunt, FedCom reinforcements had arrived, in form of the 17th Skye Rangers whom then entrenched themselves into the planetary capital city of Stratopolis.
In August 20th the unit's 2nd Battalion (lead by Chu-sa Hohiro Tatsuma) assaulted Stratopolis aided by ISF agents attempting cause insurrection within the city as well. However, the 17th Skye Ranger's defense was brutal and insurrection was failure. By September after the failed assault the 5th Sword's front lines were more formalized with 300 kilometer south of Stratoplis.
The conflict became a stalemate, 5th Sword and the 24th Dieron had cut up the FedCom's supply chain. Unfortunately for the 5th Sword, the 30th Lyran Guards and its reinforcements from the 17th Skye Ranger's aerospace fighters had dominance in the Skye.
By November the 5th Sword's luck changed, Hansen's Roughrider departed Pike IV due to its contract expiring. While Sho-shoo Fujimoto, feeling his honor was stained by the 5th Sword's performance, committed Seppuku to make a mends despite Kanrei Theodore Kurita objections. The command then was passed to Chu-sa Hoiro Tatsuma. In December, with the war's end the Lyran affiliate forces of the FedCom withdrew from the planet.
After securing the world for the Dragon, Tatuma then returned his regiment back to Dieron.
 Clan Invasion Era
 Early 3040s, Raids & Escorts Duty, and Reconstruction
Through the 3040s, the 5th Sword was sidelined from frontline combat, by Coordinator Takashi Kurita. Its losses it accumulated from the Fourth Succession War and War of 3039 were substantial. However FedCom Raids through early 3040s had reduced the unit single battalion of green troops. The unit was reduced to escort duties, no longer elite regiment it once was. Tai-sa Tastuma carefully rebuilt the unit, however the DCMS's Bureau of Substition had denied them green troops, and if were not the unit's past it would disbanded the 5th Sword. Bureau Tastuma broke from 5th Sword's traditions and began recruiting women in the unit. The Bureau despite denying it veteran troops, allowed command staff be rebuilt with officers from other regiments of the Sword of Light brigade. So badly sundered, 5th Sword was not deployed during the Clan Invasion of early 3050s.
In the 3050s, Tastuma had re-organized the regiment so that each of its battalions would each different battlefield specialty. It was envisioned the regiment by being able handle any situation, by splitting its combat expertise between the battalions. The Tastuma in his efforts to rebuild allowed for technical support staff become elite in their field.
 Operation Bulldog
Positioned on Bicester as of 3059, the unit was part of the reborn SLDF invasion forces for Operation Bulldog. The task forces which 5th Swords were part of launched its invasion of Clan Smoke Jaguar held world of Port Arthur. Operation Bird Dog force sent ahead to secure the planet, consisted of a battalion of the 1st Davion Guards. The FedCom Unit had fought considerable campaign against the determined bondsman of the 168th Garrison Cluster. The 5th Sword and other forces of the task force arrive to utterly destroy Smoke Jaguar cluster.
 Dominion War
After Bulldog, the unit had since then transferred to Baruun Urt, where help defend the Galedon District. It was stationed there until the break out of the Ghost Bear War in 3062. The 5th Sword was sent to support the 17th Galedon Regulars, but arrived too late. It was able inflict heavy damage against Ghost Bear units there in form of revenge for the fall Regulars.
 Federated Suns Incursion
The 5th Sword was deployed in DCMS's reprisal against the Federated Suns incursion during the FedCom Civil War. The unit attempted to claim the FedSun world of Cassias with Ryuken-go, but poor coordination lead to the Davion defenders maintaining control of the planet.
During the Jihad the Fifth Sword of Light served as the Dragon's claws, tearing the traitorous Black Dragon Society out of existence. Their greatest achievement during this time was the complete destruction of the 1st Proserpina Hussars, who had been suborned by the Black Dragons. In 3076 they received support from the Order of Five Pillars, who were also investigating traitorous activities in the Combine. In 3079 the Gold Dragon was assigned to Biham.
 Dark Age
3085 found the Fifth Sword of Light on Kiamba, a system near the Combine's border with the Ghost Bear Dominion. Their presence here led to multiple raids and Trials by Ghost Bear forces, but these were repelled by the Sworders. The Sword continued to rebuild, despite being the largest unit in the Sword of Light brigade. Their constant low level conflict against the Bears probably assisted this. Though these raids and trials took place monthly, the Fifth hadn't launched any retaliatory strikes of their own, seemingly content to respond to the Bear's actions.
In late 3136 the Fifth Sword of Light assaulted Vega with the support of the 44th Benjamin Regulars. There they faced the 12th Vegan Rangers and Clan Ghost Bear's Omega Galaxy. After hard fighting, the Fifth left the world with the information gained from their reconnaissance-in-force.
 Composition History
- Note:The command contains 3 light, 3 medium and 6 heavy companies.
- CO/1st Battalion (Blades of Death): General Palmer Conti
5th Sword of Light (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical)
- 5th Sword of Light (1 Expanded Regiment)
- 5th Sword of Light (BattleMech Regiment)
-The unit is station on world of Kaznejov, with Regular Skill rating and Fanatical loyality. At 54% percent strength, unit technology levels are listed as; 35% Clan/42% Star League / 20% obsolete regular equipment.
Reduced to 60% of their pre-Jihad strength.
5th Sword of Light (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Tai-sa Hinata Akiyama
- In 3025, the 'Mech forces used a Black & Gold color scheme.
- The 5th Sword of Light was parent formation of elite Sorenson's Sabres BattleMech Company. 
- The BattleCorps story Broken Blade by Steven Mohan Jr. has the Fifth attacking Hesperus II in 2787, nine years before the date found in other sources for the unit's formation in 2796.
 Game Rules
Using Rules Annex for Field Manual: Draconis Combine, the Force Specific Rules for the 5th Sword of Light has not tactical abilities. However, it does elite tech staff that allows for each lance leader to be fitted out with Clan technology to substute for a assign 'Mech equipment. Example: PPCs for Clan ER PPCs, etc, with left over space aloted as player sees fit.
- ↑ Broken Blade
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 7 - 5th Sword of Light / Brief Regimental History - Early years of the 5th Sword including its creation as personal regimental house guard unit for Coordinator.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 7 5th Sword of Light / Brief Regimental History - Unit time serving as Guards and serving at Sun Zhang Military Academy.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 7-8 5th Sword of Light / Brief Regimental History - Unit actions during the Second Succession War. From soft guards to elite attack unit.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 8 5th Sword of Light / Brief Regimental History - 5th Sword's actions during first two offensives into House Steiner, and it punishment for disobeying the Coordinator.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 8-9 5th Sword of Light / Brief Regimental History - brief history of the 5th Sword's attempt to take the planet. Regiment did leave according the fluff and campaign noted being greatest unsuccessful challenge.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 8-9 The Last Hundred Years - 5th Sword is dispatched on long tour of the active borders gaining experience. Takashi Kurita put stop to it, has frontline unit break down to companies so they can refine the skills to allow them to be elite.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p 10,11 Timeline & Palmer Conti - 5th Sword of Light's campaigns up to 3026.
- ↑ Warrior: Riposte, pp. 291-292 - "FedSuns Minister of Intelligence Quintus Allard debriefs Prince Hanse Davion of the Battle of Northwind".
- ↑ Warrior: Riposte, p. 283 - "Team Banzai 2nd command meets with 3rd Kell Hounds Battalion commander Scott Bradley tells him of actions of the Kurita forces".
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, p. 183 - "Theodore Kurita critizes Palmer Conti's efforts on Northwind, showing he could have conducted a counter-attack using canyons mazes near the battlefield".
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, p. 292 - "Chu-sa Akira Brahe discusses situation on Nusakan with his father Tai-sho Yorinaga Kurita".
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, pp. 295-296 - "Conti battles and loses to avengeful Major Scott Bradley for events on Northwind".
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, pp. 78-79
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, pp. 294-296 - "Genyosha arrives at battle with Fifth Sword of Light and the Kell Hounds".
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, pp. 84-86 Pike IV (July-November) - 5th Sword of Light leads force to counter the invasion of Pike IV.
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 136, 138 Deployment Tables - Tables show Lyrans withdrawing, while 5th and its support regiment the 24th Dieron securing the planet and returning back to their garrison posts in 3040.
- ↑ Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 86 5th Sword of Light - Unit brief history after the 4th Succession War and War of 3039.
- ↑ Dragon Roars, pp. 10, 15 Unit Summaries & Wave One: Fall of the Katana - 5th Sword's brief actions and notation during Operation Bulldog.
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 111 - Unit Bulldog actions during 3059 conflict and what it did after words.
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 111 5th Sword of Light - Combine-Dominion Ghost War Conflict actions.
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 111 - "Sword of Light brigade / 5th Sword Unit profile"
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 13
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 44
- ↑ Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, pp. 6, 21
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), P. 10, 11 Service Timeline & Palmer Conti - Palmer Conti has pervious commanding officer executed by ISF, officer name is given.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), P. 10 Service Timeline - Palmer Conti installed as commanding officer of the 5th Sword of Light.
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p 120
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 84 - Unit commander noted.
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 84 - Unit commander Tastuma noted taking over after seppuku of Fijimoto.
- ↑ Field Manual: Updates, p. 118 - Tastuma still commanding officer of 5th Sword of Light as of September of 3067.
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Field Manual: 3085, p. 49, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3085"
- ↑ Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, p. 8
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p.144
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 135 Depolyment Tables as of 3025 - commanding officer and status noted.
- ↑ The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One, p 36
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039 , p. 139
- ↑ Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 86 - "Unit Profile"
- ↑ Field Manual: Update, p. 118 Deployment Table as September of 3067 - Unit strength, status, and where about as of September 3067.
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 13
- ↑ Warrior: Coupé, p. 294 - "5th Sword's paint scheme witness by Chu-sa Akira Brahe as approaches the battle between Conti and Bradley".
- ↑ Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 33 - For the Glory of the Piller of Gold - Sorenson's Sabre's origin refirm in later source.
- ↑ Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 12 - Unit formation in original scenario pack/sourcebook.
- ↑ Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 147 Rules Annex / 5th Sword of Light - Special Rules for 5th Sword of Light use.
- Broken Blade BattleCorps story
- Dark Age Turning Points: Vega
- Daughter of the Dragon (novel)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: DCMS
- Gray Death Legion (scenario pack)
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- MechWarrior, First Edition
- Objective Raids
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack)
- Warrior: Riposte (novel)
- Warrior: Coupé (novel)
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2