Davion Brigade of Guards
- Harebrained Schemes Reveals BattleTech: Flashpoint Gameplay, Kills Dekker
- The Art of War – An Interview with Matthew Plog, BattleTech Artist
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- Read more →
|Davion Brigade of Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
The Davion Brigade of Guards are the descendants of the personal bodyguard that Lucien Davion created to defend the President of the Federated Suns. Over time the Brigade evolved into a modern military unit and was eventually integrated into the AFFS. Today, the Royal Brigade serves as the elite of the Davion military, and though its soldiers were once drawn solely from New Avalon, they now come from all over the realm and their loyalty to House Davion ensures the unit's devotion is to the Federated Suns as a whole.
The origin of the Davion Brigade of Guards lies in the personal guard of the Davion family; originally responsible for protecting members of the family, the brigade took on wider responsibilities as the Federated Suns evolved. When Reynard Davion became President in 2340 the brigade took on the responsibility of protecting the leader of the Federated Suns, and when Simon Davion became the first person to hold the title of First Prince in 2418 the brigade was officially incorporated as the Royal Brigade.
Star League Era
The Davion Brigade of Guards continued to grow in importance as time passed, occupying a prominant role in the Federated Suns military; the First Davion Guards joined the First Avalon Hussars as the first units within the Federated Peacekeeping Forces to receive BattleMechs, and the Brigade was able to draw on the best candidates for its manpower. When the Star League formed, every brigade within the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns contributed manpower or complete units to the nascent Star League Defense Force - with the exception of the Brigade of Guards. Such was the Brigade's collective loyalty to the Federated Suns and House Davion that none of the personnel within the Brigade were approached to join the SLDF, and when the Star League Council enacted the Council Edict of 2650, mandating the drawdown of each of the Great House's military, the Brigade was the only brigade in the AFFS to escape untouched - not a single unit was deactivated.
The Davion Brigade of Guards differed from similarily prestigious units in the militaries of the other states, however; unlike many such units, the Brigade was often the first into battle in every campaign, and during the Star League era the Brigade continued to enjoy access to the best recruits, the best equipment and the best of those personnel retiring from the SLDF. By 2765 the Brigade was effectively the same size and strength of an SLDF Corps and had been since before the Reunification War; the Brigade was also the first of the Federated Suns 'Mech formations to receive permanently-attached conventional forces, with each regiment serving alongside armor, infantry, artillery and aerospace assets. While the Brigade did have some internal issues with personnel, the ethos within the Brigade was to solve problems internally, and was the formation within the AFFS least likely to require action to be taken by the Judge Advocate on individual cases.
FedCom Civil War
The entire Brigade being loyal to Victor Steiner-Davion, the Davion Brigade were involved in every phase and every major operation of the FedCom Civil War. Because of this they took tremendous casualties, particularly during the final battle on New Avalon, but were critical in winning the war for the Allies. Immediately after the Civil War almost all of its units were removed from the active duty rolls, but the brigade's position as the peak of the AFFS ensured that all but the Fourth and Fifth Guards were quickly rebuilt and restored to combat readiness by the time the Jihad broke out.
Of the Davion Guards units who survived the FedCom Civil War, two were completely destroyed by the Word of Blake during the Jihad while the rest of the units took heavy losses. The Davion Light Guards and Third Davion Guards were destroyed on New Avalon by Blakist forces. The First was damaged, but rebuilt quickly by drafting members of other units. The First then went on to participate in Operation SCOUR. The Second joined the First in facing the Word of Blake. After landing on Terra, more than 95% of the unit was destroyed by nuclear strikes fired by the defending Blakists. As of 3079 the Second remained on the rolls as an honor guard, but was little more than a company currently attached to the First Davion Guards.
Thanks to their elite position within the AFFS and the extreme sacrifice and dedication shown by them during the Jihad, the Davion Brigade was rebuilt in short order as full-sized RCTs rather than as smaller defensive LCTs sweeping across the Davion military. Even this composition varies from the pre-Jihad era, each RCT's BattleMech component reduced to a standard regiment but offset by a reinforced AeroSpace Fighter wing and a complete regiment of Battle Armor. The Brigade's units had ample opportunity to show off their new layout in the years directly following the fighting on Terra with two regiments taking part in Operation MATADOR with another helping to bolster the newly formed Periphery March's border regions.
- The Davion Brigade of Guards was commanded by Marshal Bishop Sortek until he was killed in action on New Avalon in October of 3063.
- In the wake of Bishop Sortek's murder, the Assault Guards CO Field Marshal Stephan Cooper served as the Brigade's overall commander.
- As of 3085 the Brigade was under the command of Field Marshal Dixon Zibler, giving up command of the Davion Assault Guards to focus purely on the brigade in 3080.
Units of the Davion Brigade of Guards
The Davion Brigade of Guards are a large combined arms brigade consisting of almost sixty regiments.
- Davion Assault Guards
- Davion Heavy Guards
- Davion Light Guards
- First Davion Guards
- Second Davion Guards
- Third Davion Guards
- Fourth Davion Guards
- Fifth Davion Guards
- 782nd Davion Guards Auxiliary 
Color Scheme and Insignia
The Brigade of Guards use the Davion family colors for parades and ceremonial duties, royal blue on the left and right side, bright red in the front and back, and white spacing the blue and red panels.
First Succession War
- Between 2786 and 2807, the composition of randomly-generated lances from the Davion Brigade of Guards are determined using a single roll on the Random Unit Assignment Tables per lance, with all of the lance 'Mechs being the resulting type. Between 2808 and 2819, the lance composition is determined using two rolls on the Random Unit Assignment Tables per lance, and from 2820 lance composition is determined using one roll per 'Mech per lance.
- When generating Davion Brigade of Guards forces using Random Unit Assignment Tables during the First Succession War, the Guards receive a +4 modifier to each roll on the appropriate table.
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 13, "Davion Brigade of Guards"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 139 (PDF Version)
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 107, "Leaders of the Federated Suns"
- Handbook: House Davion, pp. 108-109, "Leaders of the Federated Suns"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 14, "Morale"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 129 "Federated Suns - Davion Brigade of Guards"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 12
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 60 "Federated Suns - Davion Brigade of Guards"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 189 "Ran Felsner"
- First Succession War, p. 147, "Force Compositions"
- First Succession War, p. 147, "RAT Die Roll Modifiers by Combat Command Table"