10th Lyran Guards
|Tenth Lyran Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
Thundering Elephants (3025)
The Revenants (3062)
|Parent Formation||Lyran Guards|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
One of the most prestigious units in Lyran realm, the near-tradition that any future Archon will cut their teeth in a command position within the Tenth ensures entry into the unit is an extremely difficult process, with extensive background checks and profiling of applicants to ensure the future ruler of the Commonwealth was surrounded by its most loyal troops. While the Tenth Lyran has been on the brink of extinction several times during its existence, the unit has been rebuilt bigger and stronger each time, and is usually first in line for the latest and most advanced equipment. 
Star League Era
During the Star League era the Tenth Lyran Guards was one of ten regiments within the First Lyran Guards Division, one of five Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. By the mid-twenty-eighth century the First Division was the only Division of the Lyran Guards to be at full strength, and while the Lyran Guards were supposed to be loyal to the Lyran Commonwealth first and the Archon second, the various regiments of the First had been used at various points to keep powerful nobles in line.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the Tenth lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the Tenth Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the Tenth and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps amongst the Tenth and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765.
Third Succession War
In 3024 the Tenth Lyran Guards faced an equivalent number of troops from the Federated Suns in wargames on New Earth. The results of these wargames, later known as the Alliance Games, provided Katrina Steiner with the evidence she needed to bring changes to the LCAF.
Fourth Succession War
During the first wave of Operation Gotterdammerung, the Tenth Lyran Guards landed on Karbala. There they faced Vandelay's Valkyries and twelve conventional regiments. Though they were heavily damaged in the fighting, the Tenth was successful in forcing the Valkyries off the planet.
The Tenth was secretly dispatched on a raid against the recently-captured world of Dromini VI. There they struck the Kurita task force's store houses in the city of Kanashimi. The Tenth's elements fought twice their numbers to reach their targets, taking severe damage. The unit's commander, Duke Frederick Steiner, surrendered himself in order to have his men safely returned to their JumpShip. LIC agents secretly planted on the Tenth's JumpShip however, disabled a majority of the Kurita task force's JumpShip fleet saving the Commonwealth from being invaded.
Virtually destroyed on Dromini VI, Katrina Steiner honored the unit's sacrifice during the Fourth war and its storied pedigree by quickly rebuilding it into one of the finest Davion-style Regimental Combat Teams in the LCAF.  
Stationed on its homeworld of Meachem in 3038, while the rebuilt and veteran rated Tenth Lyran Guards RCT did not take part in the War of 3039, it was transferred to the border world of Alkalurops to reinforce the Skye March in its aftermath. 
During the Clan Invasion, the Tenth was briefly sent to Sudeten as part of Morgan Hasek-Davion's plan to halt the invasion. Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, heir to the throne of the Federated Commonwealth, was appointed to the unit as a battalion commander, and proposed a counter-strike against the Clan Jade Falcon-held world of Twycross. This resulted in the Battle of Twycross, where the Guards' Kai Allard-Liao destroyed the Falcon Guards. The Tenth had the distinction of serving in the first battle the Inner Sphere won against the Clans. 
During the Year of Peace, a determined Victor rebuilt the Tenth into the premier anti-Clan unit in the Inner Sphere and they would continue to fight at the forefront of the FedCom's efforts against the invaders. In 3051, they fought alongside Victor again on Alyina, again against the Falcons. ComStar had leaked to the Clans that Victor and the Tenth were on Alyina, and they attempted to trap him there, eager to deprive the Federated Commonwealth of its heir. Shortly after Victor would lead elements of the Tenth to rescue Hohiro Kurita trapped by the Clans on Teniente.
As of 3055, the Guards were posted on Fort Loudon, near the tip of the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone.   They likely relocated to Tharkad when Victor Steiner-Davion became Archon-Prince upon Melissa Steiner-Davion's assassination.
Stationed on Wolcott at the start of Operation Bulldog on May 13th 3059, the Tenth was naturally part of Prince Victor's "Dream Team" to capture the important target of Schuyler. Suffering only light losses, the Tenth accompanied Victor to Huntress as part of the relief force to save Task Force Serpent. After a last-minute rescue of Serpent, the Tenth traveled with Victor to Strana Mechty, serving as the Federated Commonwealth's representative unit in the Great Refusal, successfully defeating the last vestiges of Clan Smoke Jaguar and ensuring the end of the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere. 
Upon the Tenth's return from the Clan Homeworlds and Victor's transfer to ComStar, his sister Katherine Steiner-Davion virtually dumped the fanatically pro-Victor RCT on the Draconis March capital world of Robinson, stripping the Tenth of their JumpShip contingent to strand them there.   
FedCom Civil War
As of the start of the FedCom Civil War in 3062, the Tenth still remained stranded on Robinson as payback for their continued loyalty to Victor. Duke James Sandoval, ruler of the Draconis March, also refused to assign any JumpShips to the Tenth since they intended to join Prince Victor and thereby leave Robinson undefended. Sandoval also needed the JumpShips for his own private war against his family's longtime enemy, the Draconis Combine.
By January of 3065, Marshal James McFarland, the commanding officer of the Tenth, had managed to commandeer enough JumpShips to enable his RCT to leave Robinson in order to assist Prince Victor, who was fighting the Loyalist forces on Tikonov. Two jumps away from Robinson, the Tenth's JumpShips were disabled due to sabotage by DMI agents, ending up at a jump point in the Kentares system.
McFarland quickly discovered that Kentares IV was under siege by the 3rd Benjamin Regulars of the Combine's DCMS. The Third had been sent to capture Kentares as part of the DCMS Reprisal, the counterattack in retaliation for Sandoval's unauthorized invasion of the Combine. Since Duke Ian Dresari, a fellow supporter of Prince Victor, and his Kentares DMM were clearly outnumbered and outgunned by the Third, and since it would take weeks to repair the Tenth's ships, McFarland ordered his RCT to assist Dresari and his DMM in fighting the Combine invaders.
As soon as the Guards landed on Kentares, the Regulars knew they were doomed, since the Tenth Lyran Guards were considered one of the Lyran Alliance's most elite RCTs. The Third decided to face certain defeat in the spirit of Bushido, managing to hold off the Tenth for a week after they engaged the Third. In the final battle between the Allied Tenth/DMM force and the Combine forces, Leftenant General Reinhardt Steiner, commander of the Tenth's BattleMech Regiment, fighting side-by-side with Duke Ian, defeated the Third Benjamin Regulars in a mere four hours. The surviving Regulars were incarcerated in a Kentares prison, where they were treated honorably until the end of the Civil War, when the Third's soldiers were repatriated to the Combine.
After their campaign on Kentares, the Tenth left that world and finally met up with Prince Victor. In late May of 3066, Victor, commanding the Allied task force of the Tenth Lyran Guards and 244th ComGuards Division (aka "The Prince's Men"), decided to return to Tikonov to continue his fight against the Loyalist forces there, consisting of the guerrilla Free Tikonov Movement supported by the Fifteenth Deneb Light Cavalry (commanded by Marshal Michael Lipstein) and the Third Republican Guards (commanded by Hauptmann General John Joseph Atherton). Immediately upon landing, the Tenth spearheaded the Allied assault on Tikonov's capital city of Tikograd. On May 24, 3066, the Tenth surrounded the Republican Guards and forced them to surrender three days later after killing Loyalist senior officer Leftenant General Karl Lopiz and his entire command staff. The Allies eventually forced the Loyalists off Tikonov on July 23.
Prince Victor had two infantry regiments from the Tenth remain behind along with members of House Dai Da Chi (who offered their service to Victor), to protect the world from further Loyalist attacks. As soon as Victor and his Allied task force left Tikonov, the personnel from House Dai Da Chi helped the Free Tikonov Movement attack the Tenth's infantry and forced them out of Tikograd. By late March of 3067, Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao of the Capellan Confederation declared Tikonov to be a protectorate of the Confederation.
On November 8, 3066, the Tenth was part of Prince Victor's Allied force that landed on New Avalon to unseat Archon Katherine from the throne. On April 20, 3067, Katherine surrendered to Victor. The battle for New Avalon and the FedCom Civil War were finally over.
In December 3067, the Word of Blake launched its Jihad on the Inner Sphere. While WarShips bombarded New Avalon, the 31st Division landed on-planet and advanced on Avalon City. The Tenth Lyran Guards were the first unit to oppose the Blakists, engaging them at McCarel Farm. Despite still being seriously under-strength, the Tenth managed to inflict significant damage on the Thirty-first before they were forced to pull back. They bought the defenders enough time to regroup and hold the capital city against the invaders. 
- 3067 the commanding officer was Marshal James McFarland, with Leftenant General Reinhardt Steiner as commander of the Tenth Lyran Guards 'Mech regiment. 
Every attack by the Tenth Lyran contains waves of overlaying forces. The enemy will be isolated and destroyed by experienced sub-commands. 
Tenth Lyran Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Tenth was based on Tharkad.
Tenth Lyran Guards (Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Frederick Steiner
Tenth Lyran Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
Tenth Lyran Guards RCT (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Archon-Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion
- CO: Leftenant-General Reinhart Steiner
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel
- CO: Rear Admiral Lisa Mae Richards
Tenth Lyran Guards Armor Brigade (5 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Major-General Thaddeus Frankenheimer
- Aide: Colonel Francis Calember
- Nineteenth Tharkad Panzer Regiment: Leftenant-General Bill Heerey
- Seventy-eighth Donegal Cavalry Regiment: Colonel Yvgeniy Kotlyarenko
- 339th Donegal Heavy Armor Regiment: Colonel Mara Foreman
- Fifth Edasich Panzer Regiment: Leftenant-Colonel Jim Beerman
- Tenth Guards Artillery Group: Major Melena Tholo
Tenth Lyran Guards Infantry Brigade (6 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Major-General Hisa Stavros
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Tellus Perez
- 199th Lyran Mechanized Infantry: Colonel Jackie Raflik
- 345th Donegal Mechanized Infantry: Colonel Ransford Billig
- 2045th F-C Mechanized Infantry: Colonel Rebecca Pola
- 2046th F-C Mechanized Infantry: Colonel Bruce Terlecki
- Seventy-fourth Tharkad Jump Infantry: Colonel Klarissa Rhaines
- 974th F-C Battle Armor Battalion: Colonel Jessup Sandoval
Tenth Lyran Guards RCT (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Marshal James McFarland
Tenth Lyran Guards Aerospace Brigade (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leutnant-Kommodore Lisa Mae Richards
Tenth Lyran Guards Armor Brigade (4 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leutnant-General Thaddeus Frankenheimer
Tenth Lyran Infantry Brigade (6 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leutnant-General Hisa Stavros
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13-14, "Lyran Guards"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 78, "Tenth Lyran Guards Unit Profile"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 25 "Federated Comnmonwealth - Tenth Lyran Guards RCT (The Revenants)"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 8
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 50
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 79
- Warrior: Coupé, pp. 265-272, "Duke Frederick Steiner's Tenth Lyran Guards raid the captured world of Dromini VI and stop Kurita Task force from invading".
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137 "Deployment Table - Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces"
- 20-Year Update, p. 26 "Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth (Deployment as of 3050)"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 14 "Small Victories"
- ClanTroops, pp. 36-37
- Era Report: 3052, p. 24 "Federated Comnmonwealth"
- Objective Raids, p. 23 "Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth (Deployment as of 3054)"
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 72 - "Rakshasa"
- The Dragon Roars, p. 11, 50
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 13
- Shattered Sphere, p. 28, "Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth (Deployments as of 30 December 3061)"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 125, "Lyran Alliance Armed Forces Deployment Tables"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 137
- Patriots and Tyrants, p. 52
- FedCom Civil War, pp. 158-159
- FedCom Civil War, p. 173
- FedCom Civil War, p. 170
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 170, "Lyran Guards bio"
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 6, "Combatants: Tenth Lyran Guards"
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 8, "Unwelcome Guests"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 102
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 126
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 017
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 118 (pdf version), "Unit Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 23, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- 20 Year Update
- The Dragon Roars
- Endgame (Novel)
- Era Report: 3052
- FedCom Civil War
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- Patriots and Tyrants
- Shattered Sphere
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Twilight of the Clans
- Warrior: Riposte (novel)
- Warrior: Coupé (novel)