- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3062)|
|Nickname||The Iron Fist |
The Lyran Guards were the second Lyran brigade mustered after the formation of the Lyran Commonwealth. Unlike the Arcturan Guards, the Lyran Guards recruited its soldiers from across the Commonwealth, and, second only to the Royal Guards, is the most prestigious commission in the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces. At its zenith prior to the Clan Invasion, the Lyran Guards numbered some 60 regiments, 14 of them being 'Mech units.
Star League Era
Formed as a result of the creation of the Commonwealth as a bond of the three founding states. Because of its prestige and high regards the brigade can select from its future graduates. Since their founding the regiments of this brigade have fought in nearly every offensive or defensive engagement and secured many victories.
During the Star League Era the Lyran Guards were the largest brigade in LCAF, so large that the Guards added an additional officer between the regiment and brigade level, with a Divisional Commander overseeing ten Lyran Guards regiments and reporting to the Brigade's overall commander. In practice this number includes inactive or disbanded regiments so most Divisional Commanders only oversaw five or six active regiments. Numbering as high as six, as of 2765 five Lyran Guards Divisions remained active, ranging from the ten full regiments of the First Lyran Guards Division, a force larger than most Star League Defense Force brigades, to the mere four of the Second Lyran Guards Division.
During the Amaris Civil War the Lyran Guards grew substantially, with a number of regiments being reactivated; by 2786 the brigade was thirty-five regiments strong; two of the reactivated commands, the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Lyran Guards were effectively former SLDF units, having been recruited from personnel the Eighteenth Infantry Division and 368th BattleMech Division. In addition to these two regiments, the Lyran Guards had reactivated the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Lyran Guards, and during the First Succession War the Guards also reactivated the Eleventh and Thirteenth Lyran Guards. The First Succession Wars took a heavy toll on the Lyran Guards, however; in addition to the losses taken to individual units, the Second, Fifth and Fifty-fourth Lyran Guards were wiped out completely.
FedCom Civil War
By 3085 the losses sustained by the Lyran Guards regiments hadn't been replaced. The brigade fielded two RCTs, but the rest of the unit was based on the new Light Combat Team model. Though the Guards saw the need for this immediately after the end of the Jihad, many members of the Guards were sure the LCAF could rebuild missing Guard units or at least expand the existing units. With other brigades being rebuilt and receiving the best academy graduates and machines, the Lyran Guards grew envious of their countrymen.
The Dark Age
Prior to 3145 the Lyran Guards had been rebuilt, and even expanded to RCTs in several cases. The invasion by Clan Wolf resulted in the destruction of two RCTs and the disbanding of two more to make up losses in other Lyran Guard units. As of 3145 there were three RCTs and two independent 'Mech regiments in the Guards brigade.
General Ivan Steiner, eldest son of Nondi Steiner, led the brigade since 3057 with mixed success. His good connection through the marriage to the daughter of the CEO of Defiance Industries of Hesperus granted him a position with high influence.
Units of the Lyran Guards
- First Lyran Guards Division
- Second Lyran Guards Division
- Third Lyran Guards Division
- Fourth Lyran Guards Division
- Fifth Lyran Guards Division
- Sixth Lyran Guards Division
- First Lyran Guards (Destroyed on Orkney by Clan Jade Falcon)
- Second Lyran Guards (Destroyed in 2789)
- Third Lyran Guards
- Fourth Lyran Guards
- Fifth Lyran Guards
- Sixth Lyran Guards (Destroyed) 
- Seventh Lyran Guards
- Eighth Lyran Guards Destroyed during Succession Wars and rebuilt in the Dark Age era
- Ninth Lyran Guards
- Tenth Lyran Guards (Merged with 1st Davion Guards in February 3068)
- Eleventh Lyran Guards Disbanded after Operation Serpent)
- Twelfth Lyran Guards(Mentioned in Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack)) 
- Thirteenth Lyran Guards (Destroyed in 3066)
- Fourteenth Lyran Guards
- Fifteenth Lyran Guards (Destroyed)
- Sixteenth Lyran Guards
- Seventeenth Lyran Guards
- Eighteenth Lyran Guards
- Nineteenth Lyran Guards Destroyed on Jabuka by Clan Steel Viper)
- Twentieth Lyran Guards
- Twenty-first Lyran Guards
- Twenty-third Lyran Guards
- Twenty-fourth Lyran Guards
- Twenty-sixth Lyran Guards (Destroyed)
- Twenty-ninth Lyran Guards
- Thirtieth Lyran Guards (Deserted)
- Thirty-first Lyran Guards
- Thirty-second Lyran Guards
- Thirty-third Lyran Guards
- Thirty-fifth Lyran Guards
- Thirty-sixth Lyran Guards (Destroyed)
- Thirty-ninth Lyran Guards
- Fortieth Lyran Guards
- Forty-first Lyran Guards
- Forty-third Lyran Guards
- Forty-fourth Lyran Guards
- Fourth-fifth Lyran Guards
- Fifty-third Lyran Guards
- Fifty-fourth Lyran Guards
Color Scheme and Unit Insignia
The Lyran Guards paint their machines in Lyran blue and white.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 75
- Field Report: LCAF, p. 12
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13 "Lyran Guards"
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind (Continued)"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 101
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 126
- Field Report: Lyran Alliance p.12
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 5
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack) pp. 46-47
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 28