5th Lyran Guards
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|5th Lyran Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Lyran Guards|
Star League Era
In 2743 the 5th Lyran Guards received a distinguished new recruit as a part of their deployment to New Caledonia, a world close to the borders of the Rim Worlds Republic and Draconis Combine: Paul Steiner, son of Archon Michael Steiner. A newly-commissioned Hauptmann who had graduated top of his class at the Nagelring, Paul's deployment was a sign of how seriously the Archon took the Combine-instigated "bandit raids" which had struck Lyran border worlds in 2742. During the raids that followed the redeployment of the 5th, Hauptmann Steiner demonstrated an uncanny ability to use his forces to outmaneuver attacking forces, something opponents of the usually heavy and ponderous LCAF didn't expect. He would remain with the 5th Guards until 2750, when he was awarded command of the 1st Royal Guards.
During the Star League era the 5th Lyran Guards was one of ten regiments within the 1st Lyran Guards Division, one of five Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. By the mid-twenty-eighth century the 1st Division was the only Division of the Lyran Guards to be at full strength, and while the Lyran Guards were supposed to be loyal to the Lyran Commonwealth first and the Archon second, the various regiments of the First had been used at various points to keep powerful nobles in line.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the 5th lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the 5th Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the 5th and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps among the 5th and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765.
First Succession War
Wyatt was annexed by the Free Worlds League early in the First Succession War, but the Marik Militia forces assigned to Wyatt withdrew in late 2790, leaving the planet open to conquest. The League had honored the titles of the Roark family on Wyatt when the world was annexed from the Terran Hegemony, in exchange for the Roark's fealty. That fealty was tested when two Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces regiments - the 4th Donegal Guards and 5th Lyran Guards - arrived to annex the planet in January 2791. A Lyran negotiator attempted to persuade Baroness Althea Roark to switch her allegiance to the Lyran Commonwealth, the previous Baron - Althea's husband - having left with the Star League Defense Force on the Exodus, but Althea's son and daughter - former Captain Stephan Roark of the SLDF and his sister, Dana - are opposed to breaking their oaths to House Marik, as is Stephan's uncle, retired SLDF General Bartolomeo Roark. The defending forces on Wyatt consisted of the Wyatt Militia - a force that can muster barely four lances of 'Mechs - and the personal 'Mechs of House Roark, which were dispersed around the various Roark landholdings across the world. Stephan and his allies fought against the annexation, but were undercut by the Baroness, who aligned House Roark with the Commonwealth to preserve the family's position on Wyatt.
The 5th went to Skondia in 3044 as part of Operation Baldur. The plan was for the 5th and the 17th Donegal Guards to liberate the world and thus secure Skye's border. The unit was nearly destroyed in heavy fighting. It took three years before the 5th was rebuilt. During the Clan Invasion the 5th remained in the Draconis March to appease the Sandoval family.
FedCom Civil War
The 5th Lyran Guards arrived on Addicks with an assignment to destroy the 1st NAIS Cadet Cadre. The Guards' arrival triggered a major conflict that resulted in major losses for the Loyalist forces. The 5th was more successful on Marlette, where they opened a gap that allowed the Loyalist Marlette Militia to escape from an Allied trap. By 3067 they were still on Marlette.
The 5th Lyran Guards saw action early in Operation SCOUR, serving on the Federated Suns front as a part of Group III. Group III attacked Tybalt in early 3077, when it was targeted in the first wave of assaults made by the allied coalition forces that made up the Federated Suns front of Operation SCOUR. Following the liberation of Tybalt, the local citizenry found itself in the unusual position of throwing a victory parade that, for the first time in the history of Tybalt, honored a unit from the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery; serving in Group III alongside the 5th Lyran Guards were Delta Galaxy of Clan Nova Cat and the 17th Benjamin Regulars.
As part of Group III the 5th Lyran Guards took part in the assault on Nanking in late 3077. Arriving in-system at almost the same time as a Capellan attack group, the 5th and the rest of Group III arrived above Nanking a day after the Capellans had landed, only to find that the Capellan forces led by Warrior House Fujita were trapped in their deployment zone, exhausted from the punishing trip in and under fire from the Nanking Protectorate Militia. Group III dropped behind the Militia forces and proceeded to launch an attack that saw Delta Galaxy and the 17th Benjamin Regulars punish the Militia with ranged fire before the 5th Lyran Guards launched a devastating assault that broke the Blakist forces.
Having broken the main Blakist force, Group III found itself being ordered to leave Nanking by House Fujita; when Group III cited the continuing Blakist presence on the planet as a reason to stay, House Fujita nuked the base camp of the 5th Lyran Guards. This prompted Group III to leave Nanking en masse.
After Terra was secured by the Coalition forces the 5th Lyran Guards had been heavily depleted by months of combat; the Lyran high command pulled a complete battalion from the Accrington FTM and assigned them to the 5th as battlefield casualty replacements, and the 5th were redeployed to defend the factories of Hesperus II.
In 3139 the 5th fought the 4th Tamarind Regulars on Tamarind in 3139. The 5th Lyran Guards sent several new Manticore II heavy tanks down a river and struck the Fourth's rear areas. The 5th faced off against elements of the Wolf Empire in 3140 on Niihau. The 5th broke down into smaller forces and engaged in a guerilla war. After fighting the Wolves for more than a year, the Commonwealth was finally able to rescue the Fifth. The LCAF High Command reassigned the Fifth to garrison Alma Alta.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Lyran Regulars|
|Louise Kopper ||3045-3067|
The TO&E give the unit a weight advantage over the enemy. The command uses sheer force to gain victory.
5th Lyran Guards (Regular/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Fifth was based on Morrigan.
5th Lyran Guards RCT (Green/Reliable)
Fifth Lyran Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiment/Green/Questionable)
CO: Leutnant General Ivan Monfriez
Aide: Kommandant Raine Younis
- 71st Lyran Heavy Armor Regiment: Leutnant General Don Gartner
- 11th Markab Panzer Regiment: Leutnant General Wan Yuen
- 35th Markab Armor Regiment: Leutnant General Wendy Fewster
- In 3067 the commanding officer of the Armor Brigade is Colonel Raine Younis.
5th Lyran Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Green/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Karen Walden
Aide: Leutnant General Jas Unger
- 147th Lyran Heavy Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Serge Prynn
- 217th Lyran Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Lisa Jenkins
- 619th Lyran Mechanized Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Edwin Fisk
- 43rd Markab Mounted Rifles: Leutnant General Paul Carmody
- 91st Skat Jump Regiment: Leutnant General Len Finkle
- In 3067 the commanding officer of the Armor Brigade is Colonel Jas Unger.
The 5th may use the Force the Initiative and Overrun Combat special ability. Against Draconis Combine troops, they suffer a -2 Initiative penalty. Against Combine troops they receive a -1 to hit modifier when firing at short or medium range.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13-14, "Lyran Guards"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 79-80, "Paul Steiner"
- A Soldier's Privilege
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 76, "5th Lyran Guards Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 170
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table - 3067"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "First Wave Complete"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 39, "War To The Knife"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 109
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 12, "Lyran Guards"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 18
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 12
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 126
- 20 Year Update, p. 19, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 107, "Lyran Armed Forces Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 133, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Arc-Royal Theater"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 132
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Objective Raids
- A Soldier's Privilege
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth