6th Lyran Guards
|6th Lyran Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Parent Formation||Lyran Guards|
Star League Era
During the Star League era the 6th Lyran Guards was one of ten regiments within the 1st Lyran Guards Division, one of five Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. By the mid-twenty-eighth century the First Division was the only Division of the Lyran Guards to be at full strength, and while the Lyran Guards were supposed to be loyal to the Lyran Commonwealth first and the Archon second, the various regiments of the First had been used at various points to keep powerful nobles in line.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the 6th lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the Sixth Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the 6th and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps among the 6th and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765.
In 2758, the 6th led an attack on the world of Stanley in response to a Rim Worlds Republic attack on the world of Mercedes. They were engaged by the 209th BattleMech Division of the Star League Defense Force who defeated the 6th, but the fighting was relatively brief.
In 2765 the 6th was stationed on the Skondia, awaiting the outcome of a determination by the Star League on whether or not the their use of a nuclear weapon in the upper atmosphere of Toffen III, a Draconis Combine world, during a raid counted as a violation of the rules of warfare.
Third Succession War
The 6th Lyran Guards are famed for the destruction of a Marik Mech-factory on the planet Ling during Archon Alessandro Steiners Deep Raid of 2987. During this raid, the 6th hit multiple worlds along the Free Worlds League/Capellan Confederation border. Though a military success, it provoked a political battle as the troops involved had not been informed of the true scope of the mission or the fact that it would take ten months. 
During the Clan Invasion the 6th was one of the first Lyran units shifted toward the Clan juggernaut, before taking up station on Rasalgethi after the Battle of Tukayyid.  The 6th Lyran Guards were assigned the prototype FCS Claymore in early 3054, testing the new vessel during combat raids in the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone in the same year. 
The 6th was part of the Lyran contribution to Operation BULLDOG. Launching from Wolcott, the 6th Lyran joined the 1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry, the 8th Sword of Light and 5th Sun Zhang Cadre in striking at Clan Smoke Jaguar-held Byesville during BULLDOG's second wave,  destroying Psi Galaxy's Galaxy Command Trinary and prompting the 17th Jaguar Regulars to withdraw and fall back. 
As part of the third wave, the 6th then joined the 79th Com Guard Division, Ryuken-go and First MAC in assaulting Garstedt, defended by Nu Galaxy's 143rd Garrison Cluster and the survivors of the 17th Jaguar Regulars who fled Byesville. While both were second line clusters, the Jaguars proved tougher than expected, with Trinary Echo of the 17th Regulars holding back the entire SLDF assault force in the Numberg Canyon for more than four hours, allowing the bulk of Smoke Jaguars to flee to the Clan Homeworlds.  
In the fourth and final wave of Operation BULLDOG, the 6th Lyran travelled with the 79th Division to link up with the 4th Wolf Guards Cluster in the capture of Savinsville. With the withdrawal of Clan Smoke Jaguar from the Inner Sphere and with no hope of rescue, Kappa Galaxy's 3rd Provisional Garrison Cluster only fought long enough to satisfy its honor before negotiating a Trial of Possession to be captured by the Clan Wolf-in-Exile's 4th Wolf Guards Cluster. 
While performing to the level expected of such an elite unit, LIC reports submitted by the 6th after BULLDOG's conclusion indicate that its members arguably paid more attention to intelligence gathering against the Combine than fighting the Smoke Jaguars.  
FedCom Civl War
During the FedCom Civil War the 6th Lyran Guards squared off against the 4th Davion Guards and the 17th Donegal Guards. They lost these battles, and several draconian actions taken by their CO, Lt. Gen. Seth Alpert, led several of the subsidiary units to rebel against his authority. After arresting their former CO, the unit's executive officer surrendered the command to the Allies.
During the chaos of the Jihad the 6th faced off against Clan Wolf forces on Tomans in 3070. Deprived of their transport, the 6th (along with the Tamar Cavaliers) fought Clan forces until they were too heavily damaged. The few survivors surrendered.
|Commanding Officers of the 6th Lyran Regulars|
As an experienced unit, the command will take every opportunity to beat an enemy.
6th Lyran Guards (Regular/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the 6th was based on Skondia.
6th Lyran Guards RCT (Elite/Reliable)
6th Lyran Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Elite/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Mark Harrison
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Zara Bills
- 330th Cylene Armor Regiment: Colonel Nicklaus Jackson
- 196th Lyran Heavy Armor Regiment: Colonel Jemima Francken
- 16th Lyran Recon Regiment: Colonel Blaise D'Heure
6th Lyran Guards Infantry Brigade (6 Regiments/Elite/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Seth Albert
Aide: Colonel Morena Cheung
- 55th Lyran Heavy Infantry Regiment: Colonel Alick Passini
- 906th Markab Light Infantry Regiment: Colonel Brewster Gladwin
- 333rd Lyran Light Infantry Regiment: Colonel Leandro Merrin
- 76th Lyran Jump Infantry Regiment: Colonel Greta Schubert
- 481st Lyran Commando Regiment: Colonel William Dickenson
- 8th Lyran battle armor Battalion: Kommandant Gilbert Fryer
The internal fighting of the FedCom Civil War was repeated in miniature in the 6th Lyran Guards. By 3067, they were down to a little over half their pre-Civil War strength.
Homeworld Hesperus II.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 13-14, "Lyran Guards"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 51 "Regimental nicknames"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 161, "209th BattleMech Division"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 75 "Allessandro Steiner"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 77, "6th Lyran Guards Unit Profile"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 34 "Sixth Lyran Guards RCT (The Saucy Sixth)
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 24
- Hector (short story), pp, 8, 20
- Technical Readout: 3057, p. 12
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 10-11, "Unit Summaries - Operation Bulldog"
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 12-13, "Unit Summaries - Clan Smoke Jaguar Defense"
- "The Dragon Roars, p. 44, "Wave Three: Bringing Down the Jaguar"
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 48-49, "Scenario 10: 300 Spartans"
- "The Dragon Roars, p. 52, "Wave Four: Clean-Up"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 35
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 170
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 12
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119 "Unit deployment table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137
- Objective Raids, p. 23
- Era Report: 3062
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manaul: SLDF
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- Hector (short story)
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3057
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook)