|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Production Year||Introduction Year::3050|
|Chassis||Alshain Type 56-60H|
|Engine||Hermes 360 XL|
|Communications System||Sipher CommSys 3|
|Targeting Tracking System||Eagle Eye SY10-10|
|Heat Sinks||13 Double Heat Sinks|
The Grand Dragon is the successful follow-up to the Dragon BattleMech. The 'Mech was originally a simple variant of the Dragon with some modifications, chiefly replacing the autocannon with a particle projection cannon, introduced around the end of the Fourth Succession War. In 3040 this DRG-1G variant was turned into a production model, with several of the Dragon's production lines turned over to building Grand Dragons. As it reached Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery units the Grand Dragon became well-liked for its all-around effectiveness in terms of speed, heat management and weaponry. Luthien Armor Works went ahead with phasing in the Grand Dragon, retooling their Dragon factories on Luthien, Saffel, Yorii and Dieron to build the new 'Mechs exclusively, by 3055 all Dragon production had ceased in favor of the Grand Dragon.
Just like the Dragon, the Grand Dragon quickly became a favorite in the DCMS, with nearly every line unit fielding a company of either design. Production of the Grand Dragon continued unabated until the Jihad, when the Word of Blake devastated LAW's factories in 3068. It took two years for LAW to get new Grand Dragon factories up and running, the first on Nykvarn followed by Abiy Adi and Savinsville, and ensure the continued use of the 'Mech in years to come.
Weapons and Equipment
The DGR-5K Grand Dragon introduced in 3050 incorporates a number of lostech improvements over the original DRG-1G. In its right arm it carries a Lord's Light 2 ER PPC as its primary weapon. The ER PPC is backed up by a Telos DecaCluster LRM-10 in the center torso, which gives the 'Mech an impressive and formidable long-range striking capability. The launcher is fed by a two-ton reload bin in the left torso protected by CASE. If an enemy 'Mech gets into close ranges, the Grand Dragon carries three Victory 23R Medium Lasers for defense, one in the left arm and two split between the rear-facing left and right torso. Protected by ten tons of armor, the Grand Dragon uses thirteen double heat sinks for excellent heat management and uses a 16.5 ton Hermes 360 XL engine to achieve a moderate cruising speed of 64 km/h.
Originally the Grand Dragon used the same Alshain Type 56-60H chassis as was found in the Dragon 'Mech it replaced. However, when the new Nykvarn plant was being set up an innovative engineering team came up with a way to increase the Grand Dragon's rotation from 250° to 300° by using an alternative assembly method for the hip and torso structure. This improvement was responsible for Nykvarn being awarded the honor of restarting Grand Dragon production, with all new Grand Dragons using this Nykvarn Type 58-66SH chassis.
- Arguably the original Grand Dragon produced in 3024, this 'Mech is little more than a variant of the Dragon. The 'Mech is armed with a PPC, LRM-10 launcher, and a trio of medium lasers split between the left arm, right torso and rear left torso. It is also only capable of achieving a top speed of 86.4 km/h, as it employs a standard fusion engine due to the technical imitations of the Third Succession War. BV (1.0) = 997, BV (2.0) = 1,300
- The 7K variant first built in 3063 uses an Endo Steel chassis to free up weight and carries an XL Engine for power, which is linked to a MASC system. This allows the Grand Dragon to move at speeds of up to 129.6 km/h in short bursts. The 'Mech is armed with an ER PPC as its primary weapon. For support, the 'Mech carries an MRM-10 as its secondary weapon. The 'Mech also carries three ER Medium Lasers as close combat weapons, all of which are carried in the left arm to allow for the greatest range of fire. Finally, the 'Mech has a C3 slave unit that allows it to share targeting information with friendly units. The use of Medium Range Missiles was considered controversial when it was introduced, since a constant stream of glitches and field upgrades guaranteed maintenance issues. Those who pilot these 'Mechs tend to be veteran pilots who have adapted to the 'Mech's quirks. BV (1.0) = 1,280, BV (2.0) = 1,702
- Produced at the Luthien Armor Works plant on Nykvarn shortly after its opening in 3071, the 9KC was created for DCMS commanders who wanted to use a C3 network composed entirely of Grand Dragons. Though the 9KC is designed as a stand-off 'Mech, it is incredibly effective at close range. The 5K is used as a base, though the 9KC does not incorporate CASE. One rear-facing laser is removed and the missile launcher is replaced with an MML 5. The PPC is swapped out for a Snub-Nose PPC and the armor is now a more efficient Light Ferro-Fibrous weave with an additional one and a half tons added. All of these weight-savings enable the inclusion of a C3 Master Computer. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,147
- This thirty-second century variant of the Grand Dragon uses an Endo Steel skeleton and an XL Engine to save weight. It can hit speeds of 97km/h. It carries a a pair of ER medium lasers, a Snub Nose PPC, and an MRM-20 with Apollo FCS. It is protected by CASE and Anti-Penetrative Ablative armor. BV (2.0) = 1,603
- Modified specifically to carry a C3 slave unit into combat, the C is a modification of the DRG-5K introduced in 3050. The 'Mech carries a C3 slave in the place of its rear-facing medium laser. While this does reduce the Grand Dragons short range firepower somewhat, it also makes the far more accurate when working in a C3 lance. BV (1.0) = 1,154, BV (2.0) = 1,322
- Dual Cockpit refit: The DRG-5K Grand Dragon is also the Draconis Combine's preferred 'Mech to install Dual Cockpits on. This standard refit sub-variant drops one medium laser (presumably the rear-firing laser, as with the DRG-1GKDC).
- DRG-1G Grand Dragon Emory
- His Dragon receiving among the earliest new-tech "Grand" upgrades in the lead-up to the War of 3039, Sorenson's Sabres member Emory Wilk's Grand Dragon was rebuilt with less refined bulkier Endo Steel chassis and 3039 era double strength heat sinks, retaining only the medium laser and carrying a prototype ER Large Laser and Telos DecaCluster LRM-15 with two tons of reloads as its main weapons. 
- DRG-7K Grand Dragon Mark
- Assigned Wilk's 'Mech after his death in 3057, when piloted by Mark Kisomita during the Jihad it was refitted with post-Clan Invasion technology. Initially upgraded to the 7K standard, the use of Ferro-Fibrous armor and a Light Engine saves weight, while the LRM-15 is retained the standard medium is swapped for a single ER Medium while the prototype ER Large is replaced with a Heavy PPC. A C3 Slave Unit and MASC enhances its abilities in combat. 
- DRG-1G Grand Dragon Douglas
- This first generation Grand Dragon was customized by Team Banzai MechWarrior Douglas Running-Elk. Not keen on high temperatures, Douglas refitted his captured Grand Dragon to run with cooler weapons. He had the 'Mech's PPC removed for a Class 5 Autocannon with one ton of ammunition. He then downgraded its LRM Launcher to a 5 Rack with single ton of ammunition. He removed all the forward medium lasers and replaced them with a single 6-tubed Short Range Missile Launcher. BV (1.0) = 909
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- A Grand Dragon variant introduced in 3050 and used as an arena fighter in the Solaris Games. It has dropped the rearward-firing medium laser in the left torso section to free up tonnage for a Dual Cockpit. (The canonicity of this design is questionable, as it was only published in the German edition of the Solaris VII Boxed Set.) BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = ??
- Takashi Kurita piloted a Grand Dragon prior to his death in 3054. 
- Hohiro Kurita II used a Grand Dragon until its destruction on Turtle Bay in 3050 while fighting Clan Smoke Jaguar. He would use a new Grand Dragon during his victory against the Jaguars on Wolcott. 
- MUL online date for the Grand Dragon
- Combat Operations, p. 125
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 67
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 72
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 142
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 66-67
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 139
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 103
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 100
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 89
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 135
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 42, 100
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 111
- Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs p. 7 - Grand Dragon Douglas - Custom Variant published by BattleCorps website.
- Arena-Planet Solaris VII, "German language edition of the boxed set Record Sheets Booklet"
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Lethal Heritage
- Combat Operations
- Lethal Heritage
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade