Star Colonel is a high-level officer rank within the Clan military structure. A Star Colonel commands a Cluster of units, usually four or five Binaries, Trinaries, or Supernovas. The rank lacks a direct analogue in the Clans' Star League Defense Force antecedents, although it is roughly equivalent to the Lieutenant Colonel rank in use among the Successor State militaries.
Only Bloodnamed warriors can become Star Colonels and a Clan usually has fewer than a dozen at any one time. Because Clan military forces are smaller in number than those of the Inner Sphere, the next rank, Galaxy Commander, is often held by the Khan or saKhan of the Clan.
As Clan society is a military-led caste system, Star Colonels must be politically, as well as militarily, adroit. Therefore a Clan Colonel often has much more political power and experience than his/her Inner Sphere equivalent.
 Clan Blood Spirit
 Clan Cloud Cobra
 Clan Coyote
 Clan Diamond Shark
 Clan Fire Mandrill
 Clan Ghost Bear
 Clan Goliath Scorpion
 Clan Hell's Horses
 Clan Ice Hellion
 Clan Jade Falcon
 Clan Nova Cat (SLDF)
 Clan Smoke Jaguar
 Clan Snow Raven
 Clan Star Adder
 Clan Steel Viper
 Clan Wolf/Clan Wolf-in-Exile
- ↑ Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 48
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 45
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 97
- ↑ Theoretical rank insignia. No freeborn has ever held this rank in Jade Falcon touman.
- ↑ Field Manual: ComStar, p. 112
- ↑ MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game, Second Edition, Color plate section
- ↑ Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 127
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 120
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 140