- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
The origins of the Second Dragonlords - nicknamed the "Highland Riders" - lay in the formation of the Star League and the establishment of the Star League Defense Force. With the significant drawdown of military forces in the wake of the formation of the SLDF, large quantities of military personnel - including some of the best and brightest - found themselves unemployed. Many carried on with the only skills they had, engaging in piracy and brigandage; as a result, the Star League initiated the United Triumph Military Exercises (UTEs) in 2572 as an attempt to deal with some of the problems.
The Davion Brigade of Guards were due to be dispatched to take part in the UTEs; as the Guards were responsible for protecting the five core Golden Worlds of the Federated Suns - New Avalon, Argyle, Belladonna, El Dorado and Torrence - the Davion clans on those five worlds funded the creation of five temporary garrison units, supplying them with the best and heaviest equipment and recruiting the finest of the recently-discharged veterans from the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns as manpower. These five temporary units - of which the Second was one - were never disbanded, as the outbreak of the Reunification War saw the AFFS in need of trained combat formations.
The Second and the other regiments of the Dragonlords were all deployed against various of the Periphery States during the Reunification War, with all of the brigade seeing heavy action. The performance of the various regiments earned them a fixed place in the AFFS as front-line commands.
Star League Era
When the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650 limiting the size of the military each Great House was allowed to maintain, the AFFS was required to drawdown in strength sharply, as were the other militaries of the Inner Sphere. The Second was one of two regiments within the Dragonlords to remain at full regimental strength following the drawdown, although none of the Second's sister regiments were deactivated, with the required reduction in size and manpower being met through reducing the other regiments to battalion-strength units.
When the Star League Council repealed the Edict of 2650 in 2752 the Dragonlords quickly returned to full strength as a brigade, and as tensions in the Periphery rose almost the entire of the Dragonlords - including the Second - were deployed to worlds along the border between the Federated Suns and the Taurian Concordat. Morale within the Second and the other regiments climbed steadily following their deployment as a result of the prospect of fighting old enemies once more.
Although the Second Dragonlords used lighter 'Mechs than their sister regiments they more than made up for the lack of throw weight with their expertise in performing strategic maneuvers and orbital deployments.
Second Dragonlords (Regular/Reliable)
- - The Second were stationed on Montour at this point in time. Only one battalion within the Second was equipped with Assault-class BattleMechs, and two of the Second's companies fielded 'Mechs weighing forty tons or less, giving the Second the lightest average weight of any of the Dragonlords regiments.
The Second Dragonlords and the other regiments of the brigade were presumably destroyed or disbanded during the Succession Wars.
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 15, "Dragonlords"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 3, "Strategic Update"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 15, "Regimental Status"