8th Free Worlds Guards
- The Succession Wars and so much more…
- MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament Announced With Stock ‘Mech Restriction
- BattleTech Devs Talk About Making Game On A Budget
- Catalyst's BattleTech Lead Brent Evans Interviewed On Upcoming Box Sets
- Harmony Gold vs. BattleTech - An Actual Lawyer Weighs In
- Read more →
|Eighth Free Worlds Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds Guards|
Originally active during the Age of War and the early Star League era, the Eighth Free Worlds Guards was a regiment within the Free Worlds League Military and was disbanded in or around 2650 as a result of the issue of Directive 30, otherwise known as the Council Edict of 2650. Under the terms of Directive 30 the Free Worlds League was required to reduce the strength of its "federally supported military line units" down to a particular level, in line with the limits imposed by the Directive on the military of every Great House.
The Council Edict of 2650 was examined in detail by the Dormuth Council, and on the 22nd of November 2650 the military Chief of Staff to the Council, Marshal Lloyd Harding, issued a report containing formal recommendations to Captain-General Ward Marik. One of the recommendations made was that all of the forces supplied to the FWLM by the various provinces of the FWL should be removed from the FWLM chain of command and officially handed back to the provinces, as provincial forces funded directly by those provinces were exempt from the strictures of the Edict; another recommendation was that the Eighth and one of her sister regiments, the Seventh Free Worlds Guards, be officially disbanded along with the Fifteenth Atrean Dragoons. These disbandments would bring the FWLM down to the official limits imposed by the Edict; Harding also recommended that while officially being disbanded, the Seventh, Eighth and Fifteenth should be quietly integrated into the provincial forces of the Duchy of Oriente, Principality of Regulus and Duchy of Andurien, making the disbandment more of a technicality than an actual event.
The Dark Age
The Eighth was reformed at some point during the Dark Age.
Eighth Free Worlds Guards (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Winnie Garcia
Eighth Guards Aerospace Wing (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Commander Benny Henry
3rd Heavy Tank Regiment (Green/Questionable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Clay Reynolds
7th Home Infantry Regiment (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Marty Wilkerson
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 102
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Circumventing Directive 30"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 115, "Free Worlds League Military"