- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||New Earth Trading Company|
|Armor||Basic Metal Plate|
|Engine||240 WorkHorse w/PowerChain I.C.E.|
|Communications System||TharHes Caliope HM-10|
|Targeting Tracking System||None|
Engineering units are vital to any unit's operations as they are able to not only construct buildings, runways, and defensive works, but also for their expertise in demolitions. Engineering units frequently make use of engineering vehicles to make the jobs they're called on easier to perform. Most engineering vehicles consist of an oversized engine that enables the equipment to perform at higher capacities. A common addition is a special overdrive system that prevents the motor from burning out.
One of the most popular vehicles is a dual shovel which allows the controller to operate each shovel independently while seated in a small rotating turret. The vehicle can remain in a single location longer with each shovel operating on a different section.
Other popular vehicles include bulldozers, trenchers, and cutters. Cutters in particular are useful not just for removing trees but other vertical obstacles that may prevent the unit's vehicles from moving forward.
One of the notable uses of engineering vehicles in combat occurred in 2978 in a battle on Loric. The 12th Star Guards was attempting to relieve some elements of the Eridani Light Horse and had broken through Marik lines, but soon found additional forces guarding a river. The Guards engineering unit quickly began constructing a pontoon bridge to allow crossing. Marik aerospace fighters and Long Tom artillery harassed the engineers, destroying three pontoon bridges before they could be completed. Despite having lost almost every engineer to hostile fire, the engineering unit managed to complete the bridge just before their last engineering vehicle was destroyed - allowing the Guards units to relieve the Eridani Light Horse forces.
Equipment & Capacities
Engineering vehicles do not normally carry armament. By default, they only carry the equipment necessary to perform the task required of them, but crews may modify the vehicles with small arms or even heavy weapons.
The Engineering Vehicle is equipped with a Backhoe in the turret, with a Lift Hoist is mounted in its rear. The vehicle's chassis is protected by 2.5 tons of standard military grade armor. Powering vehicle is a 240 Rated ICE engine, allowing it be propelled upwards of 90 Kph.
Each of the different types of engineering vehicles - Power Digger, Dual Shovel, Trenchcutter, and Digger - differ wildly in the types of operations they best support. There are additional modifications made to almost every base type of vehicle to support a unit's specific needs.
The Engineering Vehicle was originally introduced in Technical Readout: 3026, which predates the current construction rules. The vehicle is noteworthy in that it was constructed in the same method as a Combat Vehicle and not as Support Vehicles are. The vehicle's Basic Metal Plate Standard is equal to typical military grade standard armor. Also, when introduced construction equipment was never detailed in BattleTech core books. Original Record sheets and entries for vehicle profile it having only having "Equipment" under Weapons and Ammo section.
- Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 54-55, "Engineering Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3026, pp. 44-45, "Engineering Vehicle"
- Technical Readout: 3026, pp. 40-41, "Engineering Vehicle"
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 89 - Autocannon variant BV.
- [http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/988/engineering-vehicle-ac Master Unit Listing of Engineering Vehicle AC, including bv2 and cost as well exact year of introduction.
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 90 - Flamer variant BV.
- [http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/988/engineering-vehicle-ac Master Unit Listing of Engineering Vehicle (Flamer), including bv2, cost, and intro year.
- Technical Readout: 3026 Revised, p. 45 - Engineering Vehicle built with combat vehicle rules, and had non-functional "equipment" listed in its standard variant.