- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Gossamer Surveillance Drone|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Chassis Type (Size)||Airship (Small)|
|Introduced||Succession Wars Era|
|Cruise Speed||20 km/h|
|Flank Speed||30 km/h|
|Power Plant||Electric (Solar)|
|Barrier Armor Rating (BAR)||2|
The Gossamer Surveillance Drone is an unmanned ultralight Airship Support Vehicle which was used for law enforcement in the Draconis Combine. Because of the controlling nature of the Combine, the Gossamer is part of the effort by government officials to monitor and safeguard their civilian population. Quiet by nature, the drone is designed to patrol over the skies of civilian settlements for possible illegal activity and provide surveillance support for law enforcement units. Sometimes Gossamers are utilized by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery to monitor enemy troop movement on the battlefield.
Equipment and Capabilities
Designed to operate quietly and for long periods of time, the Gossamer is powered by solar panels which can give its electrical motors and other systems nearly unlimited range. However, because it was built around an ultralight chassis for airships, the vehicle barely weighs 5 tons. With limited room available, engineers decided to make the vehicle an unmanned one, with an advanced Drone Operating System and a High-Rez Imager Camera to provide detailed intelligence for the vehicle's commander. Users of the vehicle generally try to keep the fragile vehicle far from hostile fire; its 48 grams of BAR-2 grade commercial armor is barely able to provide any sort of protection.
The Gossamer's name is also shared with the Gossamer VTOL which is not a related design.
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 195 & 207, Gossamer (Drone) - "Battle Value 2 only."
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 195 & 207, Gossamer (Drone) - "Background Information."
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 195 & 207, Gossamer (Drone) - "Vehicle abilities and equipment."