- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Also known as||Frieda Moran|
|Born||9 April 2568|
|Captain-General of the Free Worlds League|
|Parents||Brion Marik II (father)|
|Spouse||Zane Davion (lover)|
Rhean Marik (b. 9 April 2568 - reportedly killed on 16 March 2616 though in fact she lived on as Frieda Moran; true date of death unknown, possibly at age 66 in 2634 or early 2635), Duchess of Marik, was the 18th Captain-General of the Free Worlds League.
Early Life & Career
As the soft-spoken daughter of Brion Marik II, she was educated for military service since it was considered unlikely that she would become the Captain-General. In 2571, Rhean was the youngest of her family to attended the signing of Star League Accords.
She attended the Princefield Military Academy under the alias of Frieda Moran. During her schooling with the academy the scope of her education would expanded to include more academic studies including classes which would prepare her for a life of diplomatic pursuits and in politics. In 2568 she graduated with honors. She missed out deploying in the Reunification War, however. Her military career only included playing a key role in the Freebooters War where she would dénouement it.
She began her political career assigned as diplomatic attache to Military Governor of the Magistracy of Canopus Melissa Humphreys. During her time as attaché in the Magistracy, she developed a friendship with Rinalla Centrella. In 2597, she became the target of a kidnapping attempt along with Rinalla's daughter Carla. The attempt failed and later marked the end of Canopus's insurrection against Star League occupation.
The assassination of her younger brother Albrecht Marik marked change in her life. Her father elevated her to Warden of Perimeter Defenses, Supreme Commander of the FWLM in 2604. Aside from helping her father make up for his lack of military experience, she was also appointed as diplomat in various Star League councils. During her time in the councils, she became friends (and secret lovers) with Zane Davion, which eased relations between Houses Marik and Davion.
After the death of her father in 2614, she was elevated to the office of Captain-General. Shortly after attaining the position she discovered she had a fatal strain of cancer. Despite the odds against her survival, she remained in the position for three years and designated her nephew Tomas as heir before finally being ousted from office in 2616 by the machinations of Houses Selaj and Allison in what amounted to a covert war, apparently with full intentions to kill Rhean Marik.
Rhean Marik's associates planted false evidence of her death after saving her from an attempt on her life. Cured of her cancer at least for the time being, she assumed the identity of Frieda Moran once again and went to live in exile under the protection of House Cameron, renewing her romance with Zane Davion and raising their child Albert Alexander Marik-Davion.
Her apparent death would mark a turning point in relations with House Davion, where Zane Davion would wage economic and legal conflict which would spiral the Free World League's economy into crisis.
Titles and Positions
Brion Marik II
|Captain-General of the Free Worlds League
2614 - 2616
| Succeeded by|
- Rhean Marik was originally listed in Marik Family Tree found in House Marik (Free Worlds League) to have lived to the age 66 years. However, later publications listed her as having lived only until 2616.
- Handbook House Marik, p. 86, "Captains-General in History" - Age confirmation.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 54, "Rhean Marik Profile" Title of Duchess of Marik noted in profile.
- Historical: Reunification War, p.161, Rhean Marik profile - Early life and actions prior to her attaining the title of Captain-General.
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 86 Rhean Marik - brief history of her tenure as FWL Captain-General.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 54 Rhean Marik - Profile includes her career as Captain-General and complications of her life and death.