- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Sian WeaponsCorp, Liao Vehicles Facility|
|Communications System||CeresCom Model 2-Rs|
|Jump Jets||Anderson Propulsion 15|
1x Medium laser
The third Great House to develop an ultralight BattleMech (after House Davion and House Kurita), House Liao created the Slowpoke in response to the appearance of the Federated Suns' Junior in the 25th Century. An altogether unimpressive design due to poor planning and implementation of its conception and manufacture, the Slowpoke was built for some two centuries until the 'Mech factories on Liao were destroyed in the First Succession War. No new Slowpokes were built since.
Weapons and Equipment
The Slowpoke is armed with a single CeresArms medium laser. With a movement profile matching the infamous UrbanMech, its two and a half tons of armor are woefully inadequate even though they provide near maximum protection for a 'Mech of this small size.
- Maximilian Liao personally maintained a Slowpoke named the Humble Warlord as his auxiliary 'Mech, painted in House colors and kept in perfect condition.
The Slowpoke was only ever described in StarDrive. Since this magazine is not currently counted among the canonical sources for BattleTech, the 'Mech itself is not currently considered canonical either.
- The maximum ground speed given for this 'Mech is slightly higher than normal for its mass and engine rating (38.8 instead of 32.4 kph), but this has no impact on its game stats.
- The electronics carried by the Slowpoke (CeresCom Model 2-Rs communications and Chamberlain Winesap targeting & tracking systems) are considered obsolete and a technician's nightmare. Because spare parts are almost impossible to find these systems are usually replaced instead of repaired, but replacing them requires delicate circuit modifications that can only be performed by skilled technicians.
- Since the Slowpoke has become a rare and unusual design, most people are unaware of its roomy engine compartment that is large enough to accomodate some of the pilot's personal effects and lends itself well to smuggling small goods.
- StarDrive (pp. 8-9)