Word of Blake
Should this fall under WoB category as well? Just look at the Fall of Terra cover. ClanWolverine101
- It would have to be referenced somewhere that is is a Blakist 'Mech. --Revanche (talk|contribs) 12:14, 12 March 2010 (UTC)
- Let me clarify : I believe sufficient circumstantial evidence exists that the Black Knight was used by WoB in significant numbers, even if they weren't actually building new Black Knights. Does that work? ClanWolverine101
- The optimist in me wants to say 'yes', especially to such a useful Editor such as yourself. But, as Frabby made clear recently on another issue, we really need to restrict ourselves to 'reporting' rather than 'deciphering'. Rather simply put, if someone disagrees with your analysis and you don't have the straight, cold facts to back it, it detracts from the value of the work.
- I'd ask you: would such analysis fit better into a discussion on a forum or maybe an essay? Or is this something you can state simply in one of our articles, with a reference (or two)? Are you saying 'significant' as defined by just you or does a source (character, in-universe report, etc.) say that? In the last question, the former would be analysis, the latter would be reported. --Revanche (talk|contribs) 20:15, 12 March 2010 (UTC)
- Regarding the Forums, I've looked at them and imho, they aren't much use to the Sarna.net project, at least not at this time. I may look at using the essays, however.
- My evidence to support my point is this : First, the ComGuard (circa Tukayid) was built overwhelmingly from Star League-era mechs. (I could cite the Tukayyid scenario pack among other sources as evidence.) Second, the WoB militia, at least during its early years, was formed entirely from mechs taken from the ComGuard. (Later, obviously, they would begin building their own exclusive designs en masse.) Third, the Fall of Terra scenario pack makes clear the WoB Militia was still using Star League era mechs predominantly. (It doesn't really address specific designs at length.) Fourth, on the cover of Fall of Terra, we see a WoB Black Knight predominantly pictured. In my mind, this is conclusive, but perhaps I'm not interpreting the faction categories properly? ClanWolverine101
- Dude, as a fan of BattleTech, I think your logic is unassailable. It would convince me. However, as a fellow Editor, what source do you have that indicates the WoB used it significantly? To be honest, I'd say the cover was a reference the WoB has at least one Black Knight. Herb would say art does not count as a source. But it would meet my requirements. But can you show they use them 'significantly'? Maybe a Random Availability Table you can reference?
- Your goal is to prevent any future debate over the fact by proving it. If you can't prove it, logic does not apply. When it comes down to whether something is true or not, if one Editor did not want you to say that, because he felt it was not true (even if his only reason was because of some cockamamie reason like he believed a non-canon hurricane flooded the sub-cavernous hangers at Hilton Head), as long as you didn't have a reference indicating their presence, the debate would be settled by removing the statement.
- We really want to inculcate a philosophy that everything on this wiki has been stated previously by someone else, so that the site is a source of verifiable information. Will I delete your statement? No. I can't prove it is not true, but it will mean, as a reader, whenever I read something unreferenced by ClanWolverine101, I'll wonder if a writer said it or he assumed it. We're trying to keep that same double-guessing from applying to the whole site.
- I'm sorry for being a near-complete a-hole about this, but its something I have to battle with myself still. One of my first efforts on this site was to say that a certain SLDF unit was assigned to the planet of that same name, until I realized while that made sense, no documentation supported it. Instead, that unit was only documented as having served in the Periphery and in the Terran Liberation campaign. I believe it had the planet's name because it was probably formed there, but I don't know. So a few years later, I removed that statement, as unsourced.
- In the end, I'm not gonna mess with your edit. But I really want to raise the research skills of our most prolific Editors, for you guys will be the ones future Editors will be reading, to see how to properly write an article. --Revanche (talk|contribs) 00:25, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
I removed Dechan Fraser from the "Notable Pilots" section. There is no article for this character, so he does not satisfy the notability guidelines set down in BattleTechWiki_talk:Project_BattleMechs#Famous_Pilots. --Scaletail 22:37, 25 April 2010 (UTC)
- ... if I promise to write his article within the next week, can we put it back? The character essentially built the modern Ryuken regiments, and was critical to WD during Misery and the Dragoon Civil War. He's certainly notable. I just haven't gotten around to writing him up because I've been hunting for my copy of "Heir to the Dragon". ClanWolverine101 22:57, 25 April 2010 (UTC)
- According to the guidelines established in that discussion, no. --Scaletail 23:29, 25 April 2010 (UTC)