User talk:Jake Command Wolf
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Kickstarter Is Live!
- Clan Invasion Box Set ‘Mechs Revealed!
- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Read more →
"Rash Edits" - Your note on Scaletail's talk page
Hi Jake Command Wolf, and first off, welcome to this Wikia!
I noticed your earlier edits on the pictures and your message on Scaletail's talk page. I cannot speak for Scaletail, but I think I know why your edits were reverted: The pictures were user generated. Note that this is not a problem per se; in fact, fan art is positively welcome on this wiki as per Policy:Notability which states that "anything that has to do with BattleTech warrants inclusion". However, non-official (fan-made) material should be segregated from official/licensed material. See also Policy:Canon.
The picture you uploaded (Timber Wolf.jpg) is apparently not directly taken from an official source and should therefore be marked as fan-made.
You then replaced the official Timber Wolf pics which is, I believe, against the aforementioned policies and I suppose that was the reason for Scaletail to undo your edit. The problem is not that you uploaded the pic, but that you removed the other one from the article.
I hope this explains the situation. Frabby 17:12, 24 October 2008 (CDT)
Hi again, similar situation about the Wolf and Jade Falcon crests you uploaded: They are fan-made images. As such, they technically fall under non-canon and are "inferior" in that respect to similar images which were taken directly from canonical sources. Frabby 08:48, 12 February 2011 (UTC)
- Jake, what process would you recommend to decide if a fan-produced piece of art was more appropriate than an official one? In other words, how do we apply your individual process for these two pieces to other pieces that other posters may want to use in substitute for official images?
- Second question: should this extend to other fan-produced works?
- If you feel the policies we have now are fine and don't need further alteration, no need to respond. But I wanted to give you the opportunity to help us amend the policies to both protect the site's reputation for canonicity and easy access to all interested members. Thank you. --Revanche (talk|contribs) 14:46, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
Dire Wolf image
I update the source information and licensing information on File:DireWolf.jpg. In the future, please include the licensing information (whether you own it, have the rights to it, are using it under fair use, etc.) and, if the source is a website, please include a link to it so that the source can be verified. --Scaletail 02:26, 18 February 2011 (UTC)