Please, I found a fan-produced book that copies the entries of different factions. I'm not sure if this is acceptable or not. This is the thread at the OF, please contact Red Pins. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=45897.90#lastPost
Morning, Nic. Thought I'd share this tidbit with you: MW 1.28.2 automatically lists cited references under a section called "references", without any need for the ref code (i.e., <references/>). Not a reason to update alone, but I discovered it by accident on one of my wikis. Cheers. --Revanche (talk|contribs) 11:38, 25 June 2017 (EDT)
- Thanks Revanche! I plan on doing a full update to MW 1.30.0 soon. Nicjansma (talk) 21:41, 6 February 2018 (EST)
Hello there. I've been told that you are the one to speak to about scripted/bot tasks.
I made some changes to Template:InfoBoxBattleMech to improve its functionality, but they do mean that hundreds of mech articles need updating to use the new parameters. I don't know the first thing about bots or scripting to avoid having to do that by hand. Do you? Cease to Hope (talk) 19:50, 9 September 2017 (EDT)
- Hi Cease to Hope! If you have a database (CSV, spreadsheet, etc) of the 'Mechs and their corresponding Tech Base values, I can make a bot to update all of them. Nicjansma (talk) 21:44, 6 February 2018 (EST)
Extra blocking checkbox for merging & deleting?
In the everlasting battle against spambots, I have merged literally thousands of spambot accounts into Anonymous. Merge and delete users is really a fantastic tool.
A suggestion though: In almost all cases, I manually block the user (spambot) in question first before merging & deleting, in order to blacklist the IP adress. The blocking function offers several helpful checkboxes, and I usually check them all except for the last one.
It would cut the time lost on spammers in half if the Merge & Delete function had a similar checkbox option to automatically block the IP the spambot account was created from. It should still be a checkbox because there are cases thinkable where I wouldn't want to block the IP (e.g. we've had a legit user who requested his account be deleted for good, but who wasn't a spammer and would still use the wiki). Frabby (talk) 02:16, 11 January 2018 (EST)
- That is a really good idea. I checked on the UserMerge extension's Page but no one has asked for that feature yet. I'd suggest proposing it there to see if anyone picks it up -- if not, I can see about adding a checkbox some rainy day :) Nicjansma (talk) 21:50, 6 February 2018 (EST)
Categories not populating
I have noticed that Categories do not appear to be populating anymore, the Clan Bloodnames, Noble Houses and Solaris Characters have all had a number of articles added in the last few weeks but do not show up in said category. Older articles seem fine, just newly added/created articles (I have not tried to see if this happens a new category just existing). This might also be effecting the search engine as an article I was working on this morning did not show up in the first few items of the search (I searched Hartford, and House Hartford was not in the first 3 pages, it was picking up the word within articles). Any chance you could look into this? Dmon (talk) 04:16, 22 February 2018 (EST)
- It's apparently more than that. Categories don't seem to change/update at all anymore. See BattleTechWiki:Administrators#Category and What Link Here issues - February 2018 and User talk:Deadfire#Category Link Template. Frabby (talk) 13:03, 8 March 2018 (EST)
- Indeed I saw Frabby. We have a major problem it seems. Dmon (talk) 14:24, 8 March 2018 (EST)
- Looks like Nic fixed it. Thanks Nic! Frabby (talk) 15:22, 26 March 2018 (EDT)
Adding Fan Sourcebook
Hey Nick. I'm a member of the team working on the Death From Above Fan Sourcebook. I have a PDF file we would like to have added to the download section so we can link to it from a Wiki entry. Its a 65 MB PDF. We are hosting it on Box until we can get a permanent home for it here on Sarna.  Please give it a gander and let me know if there are any issues. Thanks for your assistance.
- Awesome! Added http://www.sarna.net/files/info/docs/fan/dfa-sourcebook.pdf Nicjansma (talk) 20:21, 26 March 2018 (EDT)
On March 26, 2018, sarna.net was upgraded to MediaWiki 1.30.0 (from 1.28.0). This fixes at least two known issues:
- Categories were not being updated after articles are saved. This was a known MW 1.28.0 bug that was fixed in 1.29. I've verified pages like Category:Pages with reference errors are now updated correctly.
- The BattleTechWiki:ToDo page was broken because of the DynamicPageList plugin being broken with 1.28.0. The plugin has been updated.
As with any upgrade, it brings fixes but also the potential for more issues. If anyone finds any issues, please list them here and I will look into them as soon as I can. Nicjansma (talk) 20:21, 26 March 2018 (EDT)