7th Marik Militia
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
|Seventh Marik Militia|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||Marik Militia|
The Marik Militia brigade was formed in the early twenty-third century as the primary offensive and defensive brigade of the newly-formed Free Worlds League. The Seventh Marik Militia would serve the League for centuries. Like the other regiments of the brigade, the Seventh was dedicated to serving and defending the people of the League, rather than serving the Captain-General, a distinction that seperated the Militia from other federal formations such as the Atrean Dragoons and Free Worlds Guards.
Star League Era
When the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650 limiting the size of the military maintained by each Great House the Seventh was one of nineteen active regiments within the Marik Militia. Like the other regiments of the Militia, the Seventh remained a popular unit with both the commoners within the League and the peerage because of their public dedication to the people of the League, and like the other regiments of the Militia often acted as training grounds for troops across the League. A significant number of the personnel serving in other more prestigious federal units and various provincial forces within the League had actually begun their careers in the Seventh or another of the Marik Militia regiments.
First Succession War
In March 2787 the Free Worlds League Military dispatched the Seventh Marik Militia to annex New Dallas, alongside the Third and Fifth Atrean Dragoons. Having spent decades assigned as a garrison unit, New Dallas offered the Seventh the prospect of their first combat encounter in generations. New Dallas had been bypassed whilst a number of other nearby Terran Hegemony systems were annexed; the three regiments expected the capture of New Dallas to be easy, but instead found themselves facing the well-armed, well-trained and well-equipped New Dallas Militia as well as a population determined to resist. While the Third Atrean Dragoons found themselves bogged down by fierce resistance in and around Caddo City, the New Dallas Militia fought the Seventh Marik Militia throughout the Lake Galvez region, pushing the Seventh to the brink of destruction. The Seventh had attempted to use the same landing zones that the SLDF had used during Operation CHIEFTAIN, unaware that the Militia was massing in the region due to poor intelligence gathering. The remnants of the Seventh managed to retreat to their DropShips, many of which were destroyed. It was only a combat drop conducted by the Third's Second Battalion to reinforce the Seventh's drop zone that allowed any of the Seventh to survive to retreat into their DropShips.
Shocked by the level of resistance, the commanders of the invasion force authorised the use of tactical atomics against the militia. The nuclear weapons wiped out the resistance, but also destroyed the bulk of the remaining planetary infrastructure and major population centers. The bombardment of the planetary capital, Caddo City, caused three hundred thousand civilian fatalities alone, in exchange for destroying two battalions of the New Dallas Militia - and occurred after the Militia had surrendered in response to the broadcast threat of nuclear weapons being used. The nuclear weapons destroyed the will of the population to resist, other than die-hard survivors of the Militia, who were further enraged by the callous tactics of the FWLM units and the wanton destruction they had caused. The surviving Militia forces constructed a fake firebase in the ruins of Fort Resolute and used it as an ambush, luring the Third Atrean Dragoons into an attack and killing those Dragoons who fell for the trick, in what proved to be the last major battle.
Whilst it is unclear if the Seventh Marik Militia was destroyed or disbanded as a result of the casualties taken on New Dallas, the Seventh was a casualty of the First Succession War.
|Commanding Officers of the 7th Marik Militia|
- Seventh Marik Militia (Regiment/Green/Regular)
- Seventh Marik Militia (Regiment/Green/Regular)
- - At this point in time the Third was a medium-weight unit operating at full strength and based on Alphard.
- Seventh Marik Militia (Green)
- The unit was destroyed during the war. 
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Marik Militia"
- First Succession War, p. 138, "Free Worlds League Military (FWLM)"
- First Succession War, p. 30, "New Dallas: Terran to the Final, Fiery End"
- Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, p. 8, "Combatants"
- Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, p. 5, "The Hegemony Memory Core of New Dallas"
- Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, p. 12, "Songs of Freedom"
- Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, p. 13, "Beginning of the End"
- Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, p. 14, "Ranger Justice"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Regimental Status"