- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||IX Endo Steel|
|Communications System||Build 1685 Tacticom|
2x Gauss Rifles
The Sun Cobra was developed during the Jihad as a fast, long-range raider that was built for speed as much as solid hitting power. The lethal Sun Cobra is used mostly for fire support. First seeing production in 3074 as Clan Wolf was beset by enemies, the design found its way into the armed forces of many Houses and factions of the Inner Sphere by the 3130s.
The simple design and construction of the Sun Cobra leaves little to a MechWarrior's imagination. Slow for a medium BattleMech, it can only reach 64 km/h, despite utilizing an XL Engine. This is not seen as much of a weakness, as it is a long-range unit.
Weapons and Equipment
The long range of this 'Mech's arm-mounted Series II Gauss Rifles is augmented by a sophisticated Targeting Computer that allows it to fire accurately even while on the run. The simple armament is designed to provide withering fire as often and as accurately as possible.
Dark Age Variants
The Sun Cobra was originally created for the MechWarrior: Dark Age collectable game and the dossier for Thos Cardella initially led one to believe that the Sun Cobra was designed by the Federated Suns. However, the publication of Technical Readout: 3075 corrected this by linking the origins of the Sun Cobra to Clan Wolf.
Original Sun Cobra from TRO:3075
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 140-141
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 120
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 266
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 132