17th Division (Word of Blake)
|17th Division - The Leviathans IV-Kappa|
|Unit Profile (as of 3074)|
|Parent Formation||Word of Blake Militia|
First appeared in 3069 striking the worlds of Algol and Kansu alongside elements of its sister unit, the 16th. The 17th's elements as part of the Algot Task Force forced the surrender of the planet by threatening nuclear strikes against the planet. The native Kansu forces did not believe that the Word of Blake task force would use nuclear weapons against them, but the 16th and 17th Divisions struck the capital of Kanau and destroyed the capital along with its defending forces while also causing extensive ecological damage to the planet.
The 17th was later deployed to the Capellan Theater where it participated in the first battle for Sian alongside the 24th Division in 3070. The 17th took heavy damage along with its sister Division and was forced to withdraw. However, the 17th managed to return to active duty as a raiding force later where it struck in various commonalities in Confederation. It is believed that the 17th's inexperience in fighting large-scale battles lead to invasion's defeat. Intelligence gathered by 17th's actions was used by WoB's ROM to better prepare for 3074 invasion of Sian.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 95 - "17th & 16th Division first appear in in combat over two worlds".
- Jihad Turning Points: Sian, p. 6, "17th Division unit profile. 17th's actions in first Battle of Sian lead WoB forces secretly sending Divisions worth of troops and equipment to Sian prior to 2nd Battle".
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 126, "Word Of Blake Militia"
- Jihad Turning Points: Sian, p. 6, "17th Division unit profile, CO named".
- Jihad Turning Points: Sian, p. 6, "17th Division unit profile" - Notes.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 96-97, "Based on tactics unit used. Split strikes against Kanas and Algot and later information stating the unit operates in raiding forces of two level IIIs".